How do I get into dentistry? (1 Viewer)

porcupinebaby

HSC
Help me please.
I'm in yr 11 right now and i want to become a dentist.
My career advisor says i have to do Biology, chemistry, physics, 4 unit maths, advanced english and have a UAI of 99.7. She also said i won't be able to become a dentist but she has only meet me once and doesn't know anything about me.
But in the career guide book it says that only biology and chemistry is compulsory.
I'm very confused please help me.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Help me please.
My career advisor says i have to do Biology, chemistry, physics, 4 unit maths, advanced english and have a UAI of 99.7. She also said i won't be able to become a dentist but she has only meet me once and doesn't know anything about me.
But in the career guide book it says that only biology and chemistry is compulsory.
You career advisor is quite immensely flawed.

As far as I am aware, you should do Chemistry definitely. However, for other subjects - no. May be you might need to do 2 Sciences where one science must be Chemistry. But you don't need like 4 Unit Mathematics.

On top of that, 99.7 is not the cut-off. It's like Med. You need to do UMAT or something and get good interview.

suzlee

HSC
What kind of a career advisor in a right mind would say something like that?
Not only the extremely inaccurate advice about subjects but the fortune telling about your abilities... It's just not right

I'm looking into dentistry as a career too! :)
Chemistry is a must, like above said... It differs from uni to uni but most have chem, either bio or physics, and 2U maths at the lowest as recommended studies.
I asked my dentist who graduated from Melbourne uni =P too bad Melbourne's switching the dentistry course to a post-grad from next year though..

krayzie_

HSC
Help me please.
Bachelor of Dentistry - University of Sydney

I don't think USYD has a dentistry program for school leavers. They have a graduate entry one though, so even if you do those subjects, you will still need to get a bachelors degree first (completed), then sit GAMSAT, then hope you get in. Thats if you do it at USYD.

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
I'm also hoping to do dentistry but @ Usyd. normally you need to finish and undergraduate degree first, then pass the GAMSAT exam and have a decent GPA. If your qualified for an interview, then they'll only look at your interview marks for the selection process. though this system might change where they look @ GPA/GAMSAT/interview combined

fionang8191

HSC
N/A
Dentistry is a postgrad course.... you could do B Oral Health first... i think with that course there are extra things too it.. so you better check it out at Dentistry Handbook before it is too late to apply... or you could do B Medical Science finish that degree.. do GAMSAT and go from there...

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
Bachelor of Dentistry - University of Sydney

I don't think USYD has a dentistry program for school leavers. They have a graduate entry one though, so even if you do those subjects, you will still need to get a bachelors degree first (completed), then sit GAMSAT, then hope you get in. Thats if you do it at USYD.
Pretty sure Griffith University in Queensland has undergraduate dentistry.

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
Don't bother with B Oral Health.

Go elsewhere to do Dent; or, do a short course, during which you prepare yourself for the GAMSAT, which you'll get a competitive GPA in.

Your counsellor/advisor is obviously high on narcotics. Follow your heart, do well in your HSC and the one-of UMAT, get waitlisted for Adelaide Uni dentistry and do well in your interview; failing that, if you get 99.00+, you'll be admitted into Queensland Uni's Dent. program, or even Melbourne Uni's one.
i wish. would save myself three years, hey.

irnirn

HSC
Hi I also want to do Dentistry. Don't really care where though.
Sydney would be better as I live here but other places are Ok too.
Im currrenly in first year doing BMed Sciences in Macquarie Uni. I know you have to finish the degree if you want to do dentistry at Sydney.
Its total of 7 years full time to become a dentist!
I haven't dome GAMSAT though.
I probably do it in 2nd year if I decide to go to Sydney.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)