how do i get into medicine with uai of 98.7 and umat scores around 45? (1 Viewer)

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
hello, well i dont think i made it into undergradute medicine, because my umat scores were too low, but with a UAI of 98.7, is there any way, AT ALL i can still get into medicine. Im thinkin of doing bachelor of advanced science or medical science and then do post graduate medicine at syd uni, but it occured to me what if i dont do well in GAMSAT? what the hell do i do then?

also, my dad said that he might pay full fee for undergraduate med or postgraduate med, (is there full fee for postgrad or undergrad? and do u need to do umat?)

CAn i go interstate and pay full fee in say melbourne university?

how about international stuff?

please help, making it into medicine was really my only goal in life

emeka

HSC
N/A
yeh! same here. i didnt get a first round interview cos UMAT was pretty bad. but did u read the email they gave us? it has a table that shows wat sorta UAI u need to get an interview in the second round.
for me it says i need at least 99 and i got that but i doubt ill get an interview heh.
s if not im thinking abt finishing a degree first. gonna do comm/sci or advanced maths at SYD then go postgrad med. gonna take ages but well c wat happens

and yeh i reckon ud be better off playing it safe and finishing a degree. think they let u go for any degree anywhere. cos if u dont pass GAMSAT ull still have your backup degree

and i dont think u can pay full-fee to get in. says in the book. dunno abt insterstat stuff.

im gonna play it safe and do finish maths. doctoprs are elite hehe

and yeh! dont worry abt not passing GAMSAT. myabe u ciuld sit for it and still continue your course. no ones gonna kick u out heh. probably could sit for it how many times u want

emeka

HSC
N/A
hey says u do philosophy. me too! hehe

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
hmmm so are u gonna register for UMAT next yr, what happens if u dont pass that?

and if i do fail gamsat, isnt that held once a year

another thing, can u apply for Gamsat in your first year of uni???

i was thinking of doing bachelor of advanced science at sydney uni, then doing graduate med also, but i'm getting worried that if i dont do well in Gamsat then my bachelor of advanced science will be no use.

should i do medical science instead?

ps i did distinction course in philosophy for hsc, so i'm not that proficient in the subject yet

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
hey there is full fee at melbourne university so that might be the go. but adv sci and med sci prepare you just as well for gamsat so there isnt a huge difference.

i want grad med too. but if i dont get in ill do an honours year and a pHD and become a highly qualified researcher. you can still earn good money too so...........

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
dark_angel said:
another thing, can u apply for Gamsat in your first year of uni???
There is no point in doing GAMSAT in your first year. Apart from pleasing yourself that you will pass it later on it is a waste of money and time, which could be better spent getting good marks in your current course.

USyd recommends doing either science, medical science or biomedical engineering before graduate medicine. However if you're afraid you won't get in then do a course that you will enjoy. As for what knowledge is really required for medicine it's similar to if you did PE/H/PD and biology at high school.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
ahhh crap.

i dont know what degree i should choose as the backup in case i dont get into medicine again.

i'm thinking of doing b science (advanced)/b commerce

wait... is the degree b science (advacned) / B liberal studies (advanced) possible to enrol in, does this course even exist?

What degrees lead to high paying jobs, but i need some sort of science in it as i want to do grad or undergrad med.

emeka

HSC
N/A
dark_angel said:
ahhh crap.

i dont know what degree i should choose as the backup in case i dont get into medicine again.

i'm thinking of doing b science (advanced)/b commerce

wait... is the degree b science (advacned) / B liberal studies (advanced) possible to enrol in, does this course even exist?

What degrees lead to high paying jobs, but i need some sort of science in it as i want to do grad or undergrad med.

yeh i reckon you should do something you like and are good at.
y dont u try UNSW? good courses there as well.

and wat do u mean youre not proficient at Philosophy? i did HSC philo too. did u go to the residentials?

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
emeka said:
yeh i reckon you should do something you like and are good at.
y dont u try UNSW? good courses there as well.

and wat do u mean youre not proficient at Philosophy? i did HSC philo too. did u go to the residentials?
hmmm yeah but i like science, i hate anything to do with finance or money, but the problem is if i dont get into med (god forbid) then wtf am i gonna do with a science degree? id rather do a combined or something.

i went to the residentials, i played pool alot...lol

i got a distinction, but i bet u got a HD

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
in fact, sci is not all abt medicine...

sure alot of jobs go to doctors, but there are other fields of sci... (yeh abit tired now, hoep i can still remember)
govmt agencies like CSIRO, EPA in us, if u major in chem
ALOT of molecular biology labs around the town if u major in bio chem
astronomy, theoreticians if u major in phys
mathematician, stastician (in govt sector, say ABS, private, say bank, insurance)

also from one of my acct lecture, i heard now they employ environmentalist (ie, pplz who can assess the pollution, etc) in accountin auditin firms to assess contiengent liabilities etc...

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
take one thing at a time
wait til you find out your uac results
then you'll goto uni. You don't need to worry about gamsat for another few more years
If you stuffed up umat this time round, you could always do umat again next year

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Bob.J said:
take one thing at a time
wait til you find out your uac results
then you'll goto uni. You don't need to worry about gamsat for another few more years
If you stuffed up umat this time round, you could always do umat again next year
hmm in regards to that Bob J

if i take the UMAT next yr, and make it into medicine, do i scrap the degree that i will be doing, say B Sci adv/ b commerce which is i think 5 yrs duration and start the undergraduate med? what was it, like for 6 yrs or something?

so say if i fail umat 3 times in a row, but i make it the 4th time or something, then does my degree that i'm enrolled in get scrapped, and i start undergraduate med from the beginning?

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
dark_angel said:
hmm in regards to that Bob J

if i take the UMAT next yr, and make it into medicine, do i scrap the degree that i will be doing, say B Sci adv/ b commerce which is i think 5 yrs duration and start the undergraduate med? what was it, like for 6 yrs or something?

so say if i fail umat 3 times in a row, but i make it the 4th time or something, then does my degree that i'm enrolled in get scrapped, and i start undergraduate med from the beginning?
yes, you would basically ditch the other degree and start med from the start

well if you're doing sci/comm, you could get the science degree after 3 years.
if you were to get med right after u finished the 3 years you could then scrap the commerce part and go into undergrad med

Even though doing that may seem like wasting a few years at uni, you could do what some people have done. Take a year off uni,ie. dont goto uni next year, use your UAI , apply everywhere and try the umat next year

You don't seem to like the idea of ditching your degree once you've started it. There is always grad med but i honestly don't see anything wrong with ditching your degree (for undergrad med) to do med, which is what you really want.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Bob.J said:
yes, you would basically ditch the other degree and start med from the start

well if you're doing sci/comm, you could get the science degree after 3 years.
if you were to get med right after u finished the 3 years you could then scrap the commerce part and go into undergrad med

Even though doing that may seem like wasting a few years at uni, you could do what some people have done. Take a year off uni,ie. dont goto uni next year, use your UAI , apply everywhere and try the umat next year

You don't seem to like the idea of ditching your degree once you've started it. There is always grad med but i honestly don't see anything wrong with ditching your degree (for undergrad med) to do med, which is what you really want.
yes i totally understand what your saying, but there is the money concept also if i fail umat like 2 times, but get an offer 3rd time or something, i will be paying the uni like ALOT of money, which will be useless because i'm not getting a degree

Last edited:

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
i remember reading somewhere, your degree will be valid up to 10 years at usyd (not sure)
say you do 4 years and get in undergrad, once you finish med you could always go back to usyd or whereever and finish off the final year or so (doubt you'd want to do that though)

Lots of people I know of can't be bothered trying again after the HSC (with UMAT) and just try gamsat after they finish their degree/s. It's a matter of preference and whether you really want to do med NOW, or later.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
dark_angel said:
one word...money
ok yep, good point
but doing grad med would take just as long
didn't you mention you might do full-fee if you got a place?
HECS isn't overkill or anything

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Bob.J said:
i remember reading somewhere, your degree will be valid up to 10 years at usyd (not sure)
say you do 4 years and get in undergrad, once you finish med you could always go back to usyd or whereever and finish off the final year or so (doubt you'd want to do that though)

Lots of people I know of can't be bothered trying again after the HSC (with UMAT) and just try gamsat after they finish their degree/s. It's a matter of preference and whether you really want to do med NOW, or later.

Bob J, have u made it into medicine yet? IF not, can u tell me ur experiences with the umat exams, like if u did the prep courses like dallas, because i'm thinking of doing one.

and what UAI did u get? how bout ur Umat scores?

thnx

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
dark_angel said:
Bob J, have u made it into medicine yet? IF not, can u tell me ur experiences with the umat exams, like if u did the prep courses like dallas, because i'm thinking of doing one.

and what UAI did u get? how bout ur Umat scores?

thnx
not yet, waiting on newcastle this year (the only one i bothered to try for, as it is 5 years not 6)

UMAT is an exam where you do better each time you do it. Speaking from expereience. I've only done it twice, in 2002 and 2003 (used 2003 scores this time)
got 207 in 2002 (percentile) and 258 in 2003. I did a course in 2002 but it wasn't the best of help. The only useful bit was for section 3 the shapes. As you can see from my umat scores in 02 and 03, the experience of doing it once got me a much higher score the 2nd time round
my uai was around the 98 mark.
There are a few other umat courses, NIE, Amepp, Medentry, agoneyes...can't think of anyelse.

Last edited:

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Bob.J said:
ok yep, good point
but doing grad med would take just as long
didn't you mention you might do full-fee if you got a place?
HECS isn't overkill or anything
yeah thats right my dads like i'll sell the other house if i have to, so i think i'm putting all my efforts to get in next yr.

but u still gotta pay the money back i guess

it would be good if i can get in next yr, i wont have to pay too much, but i doubt it, some ppl like me just dont have a good iq.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
dark_angel said:
yeah thats right my dads like i'll sell the other house if i have to, so i think i'm putting all my efforts to get in next yr.

but u still gotta pay the money back i guess

it would be good if i can get in next yr, i wont have to pay too much, but i doubt it, some ppl like me just dont have a good iq.
going full-fee is still competitive but should be a lot easier than going for the unbonded hecs places at almost any med school
If you've got your eyes on the ball (ie. you're set on achieving your goal of doing med, i think doing sci/comm is wasting your money and time. Just do the science part, and do a comm masters afterwards if u must)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)