how do i get into medicine with uai of 98.7 and umat scores around 45? (1 Viewer)

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Bob.J said:
not yet, waiting on newcastle this year (the only one i bothered to try for, as it is 5 years not 6)

UMAT is an exam where you do better each time you do it. Speaking from expereience. I've only done it twice, in 2002 and 2003 (used 2003 scores this time)
got 207 in 2002 (percentile) and 258 in 2003. I did a course in 2002 but it wasn't the best of help. The only useful bit was for section 3 the shapes. As you can see from my umat scores in 02 and 03, the experience of doing it once got me a much higher score the 2nd time round
my uai was around the 98 mark.
There are a few other umat courses, NIE, Amepp, Medentry, agoneyes...can't think of anyelse.
so are these scores 207, 258 the sum of the individual sections on the umat test?

the marks in the boxes, or the percentiles?

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
dark_angel said:
so are these scores 207, 258 the sum of the individual sections on the umat test?

the marks in the boxes, or the percentiles?
those were total percentiles
my score in 03 was 195

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Bob.J said:
going full-fee is still competitive but should be a lot easier than going for the unbonded hecs places at almost any med school
If you've got your eyes on the ball (ie. you're set on achieving your goal of doing med, i think doing sci/comm is wasting your money and time. Just do the science part, and do a comm masters afterwards if u must)
hmmm i c well if thats the case, then i might just do b(adv) sci or medical science only. which is only 3 or 4

the reason for me doing a combined, is that if i stuff up in the Umat like 4 years in a row (which is probable) and if i fail Gamsat, then i think i would just take the combined degree as it will give me a better chance of finding a high paying job, but for me medicine is the only option.

i just doubt my brains abilities right now. it did get me 98.7 uai, but my umat scores just proved that i am stupid.

wait..... 46 + 47 + 45 = 138 ah shit

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
dark_angel said:
hmmm i c well if thats the case, then i might just do b(adv) sci or medical science only. which is only 3 or 4

the reason for me doing a combined, is that if i stuff up in the Umat like 4 years in a row (which is probable) and if i fail Gamsat, then i think i would just take the combined degree as it will give me a better chance of finding a high paying job, but for me medicine is the only option.

i just doubt my brains abilities right now. it did get me 98.7 uai, but my umat scores just proved that i am stupid.

wait..... 46 + 47 + 45 = 138 ah shit
give umat another shot next year if you really want to
At least you didn't get 0-20 in any sections, that'll just be overkill

I see your point in wanting job security, but when you goto uni next year you'll get a bit more persepective and you'll be able to make better decisions for your future.
As for stuffing up umat 4 times in a row. You've only done it once, give yourself another chance and see what happens. Also, gamsat is different to umat. Everyone prepares for gamsat, which is a 5.5hour exam (not including breaktime). I cbb explaining each section but it's a lot different to umat.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
dark_angel said:
already have :D

which should demonstrate my degree of aspiration for this course and profession.......lol
oh yeah i checked up Gamsat already also, i read the booklet abt 5 times, then decided i might apply next year. It was 4 oclock in the morning, so i think i was not myself at that moment in time.

thankyou anyways oh and good luck with your current application, i hope you get through, it seems like you want this profession as much as i do...

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
dark_angel said:
oh yeah i checked up Gamsat already also, i read the booklet abt 5 times, then decided i might apply next year. It was 4 oclock in the morning, so i think i was not myself at that moment in time.

thankyou anyways oh and good luck with your current application, i hope you get through, it seems like you want this profession as much as i do...
hehehe good stuff on reading up on gamsat like 4 years early!

thanks for the luck, and i'll wish you that same luck for you application next year!

Just remember, never give up! I must have given up like 10 times over the past year.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Bob.J said:
hehehe good stuff on reading up on gamsat like 4 years early!

thanks for the luck, and i'll wish you that same luck for you application next year!

Just remember, never give up! I must have given up like 10 times over the past year.
yeah i wont give up...btw i keep forgeting to ask you what uni degree you are currently completing?

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
dark_angel said:
yeah i wont give up...btw i keep forgeting to ask you what uni degree you are currently completing?
just completed 2nd year of Adv sci at usyd
majoring in adv maths/phys
not too eager on doing 3rd year adv physics...arghh

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Bob.J said:
just completed 2nd year of Adv sci at usyd
majoring in adv maths/phys
not too eager on doing 3rd year adv physics...arghh

ahhh awesome

i might do that as well, either that or medical science

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
dark_angel said:
ahhh awesome

i might do that as well, either that or medical science
there;s another thread somewhere with a couple of guys contemplating on doing adv sci or med sci. you probably already know
I don't think theres much point in doing med sci if you want to do med afterwards. The only time you'd be glad you did med sci (IMO) is if you actually get in. If not, you're stuck with something that's only good for research

But of course, it's still a good degree, only that it's very restricted and you won't have much choice in what majors you want to do.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Bob.J said:
there;s another thread somewhere with a couple of guys contemplating on doing adv sci or med sci. you probably already know
I don't think theres much point in doing med sci if you want to do med afterwards. The only time you'd be glad you did med sci (IMO) is if you actually get in. If not, you're stuck with something that's only good for research

But of course, it's still a good degree, only that it's very restricted and you won't have much choice in what majors you want to do.

hmmm yeah adv sci was my first pref any ways, i guess i can transfer if i wanted too but thered be no point really.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
dark_angel said:
hmmm yeah adv sci was my first pref any ways, i guess i can transfer if i wanted too but thered be no point really.

yep, transfer is easy for first year (in terms of what subjects you did, coz they all do the same)
well, enjoy your xmas!
I'm off to bed

actually no... but i'm gonna go watch some movies i downloaded :)

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Bob.J said:
yep, transfer is easy for first year (in terms of what subjects you did, coz they all do the same)
well, enjoy your xmas!
I'm off to bed

actually no... but i'm gonna go watch some movies i downloaded :)
lol yes, merry christmas HO HO HO!!!! :p

damn cable...im stuck here with 56k while you are downloading everything in sight.

u know u wouldnt steal a purse, so y steal a movie...its a crime u know :p

lol enjoy the movies, i'm off to research some more stuff.

le_dragon

HSC
Uma what and Gama who???

Hi im in year 11 and am thinking about a career in med and more specifically being a pediatrician... i was just wondering if someone can tell me what is UMAt, GAMSAT and IMO????

thanks a heap
Until Next Tym
Adam

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
le_dragon said:
Hi im in year 11 and am thinking about a career in med and more specifically being a pediatrician... i was just wondering if someone can tell me what is UMAt, GAMSAT and IMO????

UMAT is needed for undergrad med.

GAMSAT is needed for grad med.

IMO should just be short for in my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)