How do I stay competitive throughout my HSC year (1 Viewer)

AtlasX

HSC
Hi, there's a friend of mine who I personally like to compete with
Here and there she'll beat me and I'll beat her
We do the same subjects (except for two) and now that I'm in my HSC year I really do want to beat her!
How do I stay competitive and beat her?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, there's a friend of mine who I personally like to compete with
Here and there she'll beat me and I'll beat her
We do the same subjects (except for two) and now that I'm in my HSC year I really do want to beat her!
How do I stay competitive and beat her?
By not focusing solely on an extrinsic motivation like her, but a motivation within.

What do you want a good score for? What course do you want? What uni do you want? What opportunities will come out of a better score? (being able to say you were dux, scholarships, tutoring magnetism, co op, uni subject adv/ssp opportunities)

Mull on those.

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
I have a friend like that too - she crammed at the last minute and got higher than me, even though I prepared early in advance. I found competing was stressful and disappointing when I didn't beat her. However, I felt great when I beat her.
I now focus on doing my personal best and that's all you can do.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
To be honest, while some healthy competition between friends can be a good motivation in achieving better results, make sure you do everything in moderation, otherwise there is no point in allowing intense academic competition in severing friendships. To remain competitive, as others above has also stated, is to make sure you are really competing with yourself-it is much more meaningful to improve upon your personal performance and do your personal best rather than trying to beat other people while not even sure whether you were able to achieve your personal best as a result. Intensive competition with others will also mean it will add a considerable amount of psychological stress which is unnecessary where you always try to find out each other's study habits, study notes and work progress. Make sure it remains moderate and healthy and make sure you support each other along the way:)-best wishes for you to ace your studies this year-remember-try to achieve your personal best every time, and you will stay competitive, regardless of whether your results are better than your friend's or not.

iEatOysters

HSC
As strawberrye said, everything in moderation! I have a friend who was so obsessed with beating another friend, that she had a nightmare about being beaten by her lol. Now that's unhealthy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)