How do people study IPT? (1 Viewer)

Blah blah

Want to learn how to do well in the exam? Learn to **apply** the seven processes to any given situation. B/sing won't cut it. Read the Standards package and look at the marking guidelines. These exams are not going to get easier. This is a tough course. Anyone who does well in it will do extremely well at Uni, regardless of which course they end up choosing.

When reading the extended response questions look for any of the seven key words - Collect, Organise, Store, Retrieve, Analyse, Process, Transmit, Receive, Display. Then respond to the question focussing on that process.

If the top person in the state last year didn't get close to 100% then I'm afraid you guys aren't up to scratch as much as you think you are.

I am one of the very few computer trained teachers in this state and I can tell you that this course, if students put the effort in will give you a very good start in a computing career. Knowing about computers is easy, being able to guide others in their implementation is not so easy. Being able to communicate effectively with computer professionals takes knowledge of more than the latest video card needed for when Doom III is released.

reine regina

but ...is that all we have to do?
know all the 7 processess?
errr...i always thought that IPT is more than that.....

Aquatic

Just read and re-read the text book all over again and then you eventually will remember everything.

kidding :)

I don't know about you guys but for my half yearly exams, the multiple choice section is the only part I could study for.

reine regina

hmm...i dont' think mermorising the textbook helps doe...
coz know all the simulas questions and all that ?.....and how they give u a problem or situation and then u have to solve the problem?...errr...
i seriously have no idea what to study for ...."

Aquatic

That's what I mean, memorising the text book only helps me do the multiple choice section.

Past paper exams?

do0d

memorising book is good and ezy if u go thru the sillybus lots
sure way not to fail
build your bs skillz
and study social and bs aspects as much as possible
but they mite actually wake up to themselves and not put in as many stupid questions like those this year

reine regina

hmm..the social and the ethical issues don't make any sense to me at all........errr...
guess i have to memorise the thing

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
I personally believe it takes a certain type of person to answer IPT questions. Like in 4u Maths it takes people with a love or skill of mathematical processing to do it and do it well.
I agree.
I love programming. I did (mostly) well in the programming sections, plus some scenarios, in the SDD HSC exam last year (according to my standards #87 ).

Take IPT, though. On the surface, it looks like SDD 'dumbed-down', without the programming. It's a different kettle of fish altogether - combined with the fact that some of the stuff doesn't seem to be based in reality (but that might just be Das, my teacher - it ain't nicknamed 'Info Processes and Dasology' for no reason); I think you need to be somehow 'in tune' with the writer of the question or something, otherwise it seems to be impossible to get high marks in it at all!

Hmm... I usually study IPT by going over the class notes + the book, and try questions out of 2/3U Computing Studies past papers...

</KIND-OF-RANT>

reine regina

wow...u've got class notes....

we don't do anythign in class...practically...like...even if the teacher was talking and trying to explain things to us...
we jut ....err...play games...do other stuff..."....

telly

Im finding IPT bit of a biatch to study for at the moment but its easy once you find something to relate to
like for multimedia systems - using powerpoint
project work - that mother of an assessment I had
communications - email and stuff
DSS on the other hand - just to quote good ol' Rove WHAT THE!!!

I always find myself cramming majorly for IPT - lots of diagrams and scribble all over my book! :confused:

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
I have a minor comment about my IPT Major:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!

*Cough* Sorry. #8-(

Last edited:

FeniX

me too Morgues :p

If you're good at talking about social & ethical issues, plus you're naturally talented at making up bullshit, you will do very well in the IPT exam.

Mercurial

Cram Session???

My teacher got scared and bailed on us. Gone for a 4 week holiday starting beginning this term. I think hez poly doin a major IPT cram course worse then us. He knows very close to nothing.

Does anyone have an idea wat the exam papers focus on? Eg like in senarios wat do they tend to ask us to do etc.???

KingofthieF

YES!! IPT is like all pratical applications now...
and in the exam you just have to keep writing writing wrting and dump all your knowledge into the paper...

a lot of my mates say it is easy coz they are really good at bluffing but i do think there's a technique behind getting good marks... i got some tips:

1. answer the question directly... its not english.. if u run out of time, use dot points
2. think that the markers knows nothing.... so give definition of terms at the start...
3. be precise... ie give examples
4. notice keywords... always use keywords.. for example if u are answering the TPS section.... use words like transaction, database, real-time, batch etc etc..

good luck studying and dun stress out too much... coz you will be walking out laughing :cool:

KingofthieF

haha i always crammed the IPT assigments...
and the nite before the assingment is due there is like practically no sleep at all...
unhealthy :D

Mercurial

haha, thnx.

And cramming gets real interesting for assessments when its a group project. Due to lack of sleep and stress ppl get all weird on u. 5 hrs b4 its due u start feeling to pressure, start hearing things, paranoia etc...

juz kidding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)