How do rankings of schools affect your HSC mark? (1 Viewer)

michelle.lee

HSC
I was wondering does your school ranking really influence what you are going to get in the HSC? and if it does, to what extent? I know that teachers say it doesnt matter but does it really?

For example, at my friends school no one got in the 90s for their internal school marks for english but for the hsc everyone got bands 5 and 6.

This question is primarily for eng advanced but applicable to everything:
My question is, if a student (lets say student A) went to a school that was ranked lets say 60ish got an english mark of around 70 and a student (lets say student b) went to a school that was ranked 350ish got an english mark of around 90, how would they compare with eachother in the end?

Does student A get scaled up and the student B get scaled down?
hmmm it sucks because our teachers are not really clear about that.

Im not really sure

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
michelle.lee said:
I was wondering does your school ranking really influence what you are going to get in the HSC? and if it does, to what extent? I know that teachers say it doesnt matter but does it really?

For example, at my friends school no one got in the 90s for their internal school marks for english but for the hsc everyone got bands 5 and 6.

This question is primarily for eng advanced but applicable to everything:
My question is, if a student (lets say student A) went to a school that was ranked lets say 60ish got an english mark of around 70 and a student (lets say student b) went to a school that was ranked 350ish got an english mark of around 90, how would they compare with eachother in the end?

Does student A get scaled up and the student B get scaled down?
hmmm it sucks because our teachers are not really clear about that.

Im not really sure

Your teachers are correct in saying that the ranking of the school doesn't matter as the ranking of schools is done every year AFTER the HSC.

Any school ranking you have seen is based the results achieved by that year's HSC cohort and your cohort will see your school ranking done again based on your cohort's results.

Some schools will make big moves either up or down while others e.g. James Ruse won't make major moves at all.

That is why your teachers say not to worry about the rank of the school.

In addition your internal marks will all be moderated (not scaled) against the exam results after the HSC to make things even across the state.

michelle.lee

HSC
oh
so the school internal marks that we get at the end of the year,
14th of november (in hard copy i think) are the moderated marks?

HSC
you don't get your internal marks until you get your hsc marks because they have to be moderated
on november 12 you do, however, receive your rankings in your school cohort which is what determines (when moderated against the hsc) how high or low your school mark will be

the school's ranking doesn't matter
but if everyone in your grade puts in effort in the hsc this benefits everyone in the grade
or as my school likes to constantly remind us "the better we do, the better we all do"

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
michelle.lee said:
oh
so the school internal marks that we get at the end of the year,
14th of november (in hard copy i think) are the moderated marks?
You can't get the moderated marks that early for the simple fact that they won't have been determined.

Moderated marks aren't done until after the exams are marked and that won't be finished until very late November or even early December, depending on when the last exams are marked.

After that the standards setting teams (the teams that determine the aligning marks) report to the BOS, usually at the end of Week 1 December. The BOS then considers these recommendations and sets the cutoffs based on the recommendations and all that data is then put in the computer and the aligning marks are determined across the state for all subjects and then the moderation of assessment marks is done.

That is why the moderated marks won't be available until mid-December along with your aligned exam mark and the final HSC mark. You get those three marks when you get your HSC marks.

Lukybear

HSC
The way i see it is this. It dosent matter about the school you go to. However what will be a benefit/handicap is the amount of effort put in for class assessment in ratio to studying fervently for the actualy external exam. If say your class mates dont put in any effort for class assessments and recieve a low mark, however they do brilliantly in the external exam. The higher ranking persons will be pushed up for their school mark.

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
Hmm so, why is it that all the uai guru's ask for the school ranking when attempting to estimate a uai?

runnable

HSC
syriangabsta said:
Hmm so, why is it that all the uai guru's ask for the school ranking when attempting to estimate a uai?

To know the quality of your cohort so to put your provided ranks into context.

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
So, its possible that the estimate isn't very accurate at all, as one year (say last year), could have had a very poor cohort which results in a poor rank. But then this year, could have a strong cohort, which would increase the estimate?

runnable

HSC
syriangabsta said:
So, its possible that the estimate isn't very accurate at all, as one year (say last year), could have had a very poor cohort which results in a poor rank. But then this year, could have a strong cohort, which would increase the estimate?
If the rank of your school (quality of your cohort) fluctuates massively, then its possible for the estimate to be inaccurate. However for lower ranked schools, the rank can have massive movements (100s) but not much real improvement in quality of cohort.

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
I see. Erm, were you avoiding my last thread..for a certian reason -_-.?

benjihua93

HSC
hey so i just wanted to noe if u got like 50 in all ur internals and 100 in all ur externals do u get a 100 uai

samwell

HSC
how come pple say that lets say ua school rank is 1 u will get the highest mark in the subject. does that mean that pples efforts in the hsc dont matter as irregardless of how well a person who's coming 6 7 9 ... gets the cant necessarily get the really high marks confusing

Miss Sunshine

HSC
N/A
cem said:
Your teachers are correct in saying that the ranking of the school doesn't matter as the ranking of schools is done every year AFTER the HSC.

Any school ranking you have seen is based the results achieved by that year's HSC cohort and your cohort will see your school ranking done again based on your cohort's results.

Some schools will make big moves either up or down while others e.g. James Ruse won't make major moves at all.

That is why your teachers say not to worry about the rank of the school.

In addition your internal marks will all be moderated (not scaled) against the exam results after the HSC to make things even across the state.
How do you know all this??

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Miss Sunshine said:
How do you know all this??

Years of experience as a teacher and HSC Marker and Judge (on the panel that does the aligning of the raw HSC marks to the final marks you receive).

I also have been to a number of inservice courses on these matters and my school often has the relevant BOSLO come out and answer our questions and these are ones that we have asked and had explained.

adosh

HSC
this year my school isnt going well at all,, most people wont do well,,, im ranked first in my assesment marks with 90+ marks. now assuming i rank first in my hsc external exam with low to mid 90s in all my subjects and also assuming the worst case scenario where all my classmates get below 50 for my subjects (say way below the state average), do you think taht any of my classmates will affect my uai,....bcoz it seams like they will,,,wotn they drag me down even a little bit..

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
adosh said:
this year my school isnt going well at all,, most people wont do well,,, im ranked first in my assesment marks with 90+ marks. now assuming i rank first in my hsc external exam with low to mid 90s in all my subjects and also assuming the worst case scenario where all my classmates get below 50 for my subjects (say way below the state average), do you think taht any of my classmates will affect my uai,....bcoz it seams like they will,,,wotn they drag me down even a little bit..
If you are ranked first, and do perform well in the external HSC exams, then I'm pretty sure that you would have a certain level of immunity from the rest of the students in the subjects that perform badly. Their performance should not affect your UAI, as long as you are ranked first internally and perform in the external exams.

echeng

HSC
it does affect ur HSC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i did really shiet at skool for ecos....ranked 27/32........my assesment marks was 76. then i worked hard and got 92 in the actual HSC exam. my Ecos mark is now (76+92)/2 = 84.........see tat? study hard

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)