How Do The Bands Work? How are they calculated? (1 Viewer)

homijoe

HSC
watatank said:
no. your sc exam is independent of school marks. i barely passed my english trial sc and then got 89 in the exam. my english school mark was like D and then i got that 89 as my exam mark.
oh ok den the grade doesnt play a major role in marks...... mmk

orly?

HSC
your marks get scaled with ur other exams i think
i got like 87 in ist but it turned out to be a C or some shit

lol... i'm probably the only person in the state to have gotten an E for pe

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Your school doesn't send any marks to the BOS.

They only send in grades and how each school determines them is up to them but supposed to be based on the Performance Descriptor Bands that are issued to schools to describe what a student getting each grade can do.

The marks that you get from the exam will determine your band.

They are two different things and are reported differently.

Don't try and compare them.

Treat them as two separate entities that indicate different things - one being the total performance (your grade) and your performance on a test on a given day.

Last year I gave one student a C for both Elective and Mandatory History and that student comfortably gained a Band 6 for the exam. Another student received an A in both the school based courses but only got a Band 4 on the exam. Personally neither result truly reflects the ability of either student but does reflect their work across the year (the grades) and on a specific day on a specific test.

bored of sc

HSC
According to Cem, the mark on your school certificate results sheet is NOT your raw mark, it is your raw mark scaled upwards. It is also important to note everyone a;igned upwards the same so no internal grades come into the marks given for the external tests.

(Sorry if it isn't right).

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
ALL SC and HSC external exams are put through an aligning process which basically converts the range of exam marks from 1 - 100 to a reported range of 50 - 100 with about 1 - 2% of the state in each course receiving a mark less than 50.

The SC grades are determined totally by your school and have absolutely NO relationship to the external exam marks.

I have taught a student we gave an E to at school (and rightly so based on results) but who was able to gain a Band 5 on the external exam due to spending the weekend before the exam reading their textbook thanks to a new found love of History. The two results were accurate reflections of what they were separately reporting - the grade reports a year's effort whereas the Band reports a single exam performance on a given day. Think of your school reports - do you have (as my school has) separate marks for assessment, exam, class work? Well the Grades are the Assessment and the Class work whereas the Bands are simply the one off exam.

As a teacher I am far more interested in the Grade awarded in Year 10 then one exam performance and when students enter Year 11 I ask specifically for their Grades not their Bands.

bored of sc

HSC
hu5sla said:
10% class assesments etc
90% school certificate paper

??
NO, the band you receieve is ONLY the school certificate test you did in November; it sucks I know (seems unfair to those A students who stuff up) but that's life

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)