• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How do the preferences work ? (1 Viewer)

nathan94

HSC
Lets say i put down Physiotherapy as my first preference (97.40 ATAR) and Radiography as my second (92.80) and i end up with an ATAR of 95. Would i still have the same chances of getting into Radiography as people who put Radiography as their first preference ? or do i get thrown to the back of the line ?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Step 1 - the Universities tell UAC how many places they have in each course and if there is a minimum cut-off they will allow into the course.

Step 2 - UAC allocates all the 99.95s to their first preference.

Step 3 - UAC (or its computers) crosses out the number of available spaces in the courses they allocated.

Steps 4 and 5 repeat 2 and 3 until all places are filled at all courses at all unis or until there are no more students to allocate.

Now once there get to someone with an ATAR of 95 they ignore their first preference because that course is full so their second preference now becomes their first preference and they will be allocated to that course.

So you have the same chance as anyone else who put that down.

nathan94

HSC
Oh thanks for clearing that up.

What if i make it into Physiotherapy but then i decide i want to do Radiography ?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Oh thanks for clearing that up.

What if i make it into Physiotherapy but then i decide i want to do Radiography ?

In your scenario by they time they get to your ATAR they will have already filled the radiography quota so they wouldn't have a space for you but...if someone who gets an offer refuses it and you are the next ATAR who put it down you could get an offer in the second round.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Read the FAQs. There is in some scenarios that the top three preferences are considered equally in one round.

QUOTE FROM UAC:
"Are all my preferences given equal consideration?

Yes. If you're not selected for your first preference, you'll be considered equally with all other eligible applicants for your second preference and so on. Your chance of being selected for a particular course isn't decreased because you placed a course as a lower order preference. You won't be selected for a course just because you entered that course as a higher order preference.

For example: Anna doesn't qualify for an offer to the courses she has listed as preferences 1, 2 or 3, and has course 116677 as preference 4. Anna is eligible and more competitive than Blair and Catriona, who have both listed course 116677 as their first preference. Anna, therefore, receives an offer ahead of Blair and Catriona."

So depending on what type of student you are... Good Luck in December, Early Jan and Main Round... and note sometimes only first preference in considered in some rounds so read the UAC FAQs/Guidelines very carefully.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)