How do we actually study for Extension History? (1 Viewer)

arghstupidjo

HSC
the HSC exam and everything? :/... like.. i know this sounds bad >< but all im doing in our ext hist classes are reading like.. different peoples' perspectives of historography.
I feel so dumb because im worried that my knowledge of HISTORY not HISTROGRAPHY is really limited.. like would it be better if i had a more expansive knowledge of history? (as in.. what happend in the 1990s etc etc.. not History is a something something..)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
No, History Extension isn't about the facts or whatever happened. Its more so about the perspectives and views of historians and scholars alike on history. Have you referred to the syllabus? The five main points should be addressed eg- construction of history, purpose/aim of history, approaches to history over time.

The main thing that you should be concentrating on should be your Major. But for the HSC exam, it'd be wise to continuously making essays so that you can prepare yourself for all facets of this course. But first, you need to have a solid foundation on the historians and the historiographical issues, which help you develop ways to tackle the source/quote in both Q1 and Q2.

HSC
Just...wing it. That's what I did all this year.

Go with the flow. I started off as confused as you and I did fine in the exam. Relax.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Go to museums, watch documentary, read A SHITLOAD OF HISTORY BOOKS. You'll get to know your topic area intimately, like your best friend, and often first-hand accounts will expose the perspective of aperson during that time. Read those history books dead, and dont forget to make your school summaries and do lots of questions.

SomaFairy

HSC
N/A
Just concentrate on your major work for now. Once its finished, you'll get a deeper understanding of what you're actually studying. Everything will be fine!

tinfoilhat

HSC
yeah major work really helps
read about the historians you either agree with or hate with a passion, it makes it so much easier to remember

specialkay1990

HSC
What Kujah said.

I never had much historical background knowledge on Napoleon (my case study) but I still managed to pull off 47/50 just from understanding the nature of historiography and being able to evaluate and analyse different perspectives, their underlying influences etc. I studied for History Extension not by simply reading loads of books but by practising essays (past HSC exams).

There is not need to cram too many historical details as you are not writing a biography or simply an explanation/recount. History Extension essays (according to the way I studied it anyway) are supposed to be evaluative and critical of various historiographical perspectives. You do need some historical knowledge of your case study but this is only so you can understand the context of the historiographical debate you are dealing with and be able to use it as a basis for evaluation.

I found that practising essays every now and then really helped me to develop my critical thinking skills. I was also able to remember key quotes more easily for the HSC exam as I had used some of them so often in my essay-writing. Hope what I've said helps!

If you need any help on anything in History Extension or would like to ask any questions, you can contact me at kay.do1990@hotmail.com :)

Last edited:

benn07

HSC
Im totally confused as well, like we just debate in our lessons, but i think im starting to get that its about perspectives?

rach19

HSC
Trust me I didnt get ext until halfway though year twelve. Its all about interpretation and how different evidence and how contexts change the meaning of history. I asked my teacher for extra reading material and read up on Marx, critical theory and most importantly current trends in history, especially the national curriculum changes.
Try to practice intergrating your "voice" in when writing persuasively, and write clear sentances that link the ideas to your main line of argument. If you need any help feel free to PM me =)

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Historiography: the study of historical writing.

loll I think you'll be okay with not knowing every single date and event related to your topic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)