How do you beat naturally smart people? (1 Viewer)

strasiotto

HSC
Due to my natural laziness, I only read like the first 5 posts, but the answer is pretty simple.

You work your ass off, study heaps, in different ways- past questions, questions from test book, study notes etc etc.

I'm guessing that you're pretty smart as well, if your doing 4 un, but fact is the only way to beat a freak is to be a freak yourself in someway. Most likely scenario, you work your ass off, don't beat him but a run a close second- which isn't that bad.

But as said before- kidnapping- don't rule it out.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
But to trick people into thinking you're dumb, you have to fail exams. In the HSC year, that usually doesn't work out too well...

Also, I read somewhere that increasing your vocabulary is automatic IQ points. So maybe that can be interpreted as the "I" in IQ.
Not really; just sort of whinge and say 'Oh this is so hard I don't get it'. Though they might eventually figure out that you're bluffing.

suling

HSC
basically everything comes down to concepts. though u might have spent double or triple the time compared to some so called smart guy but u don't necessarily have a better concept and understanding. this is due to the fact of how u study. doing 10hrs of questions a day basically gives u nothing rather than probably precision and u are highly likely to forget about the stuff after a week. while u could have really just used 1 hr and focused on reading through the book over and over and doing a few questions and it will be good enough (all sample questions+3 harder questions are good enough). also u should try summarising. the shorter it is the better and eventually u should be able to just write basic definitions down as you should know how to derive everything and significantly reduces the amount of stuff u have to memorise. this also helps when ur revising for a test since u only need like 2hrs to revise the whole course while some other guy has to use several days. also if u are good enough (good concept) then u can link topics together and u'll realise that u can use stuffs from another topic in the topic ur doing and everything becomes easy after that. and yea believe in ur self that ur smart and u can do well and have confidence in ur self when ur doing a question because often it depends on who ever have the guts to go for it. but normally if u lack in confidence in the topic then u will probably be telling urself to give up before u actually attempt the question or u do attempt but thinking that u are not going to get it. finally, don't spend like 5+hrs a day studying because its just going to give u alot of pressure and stress which can significantly reduces the effectiveness of ur studying and in some severe cases it will basically make u just totally give up on a course or give up studying. and u will still need relaxation and enjoyment since life is not just about studying

paragraphs are our friends

RaxX

HSC
Try REALLLY Hard... and if you fail... well, get a bigger hammer.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I don't think any amount of work will allow you to 'beat' naturally smart people, especially if they put their game up. Even if you can convince a smart person you are dumb, by acting like it, in the HSC year - they need every mark they can get, ranks is important - but if you get an exam mark of 50/50 but get a school assessment mark of 10/50, your HSC mark is going to be 60 - or something like that.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
But that'll only work if the smart person doesn't work at all - or if they slack off.

lalala xD

HSC
:wave: 7 Ways to Beat Naturally Smart People:

* Try more :headbang:
* Play more :party:
* Pray more
* Study more :read:
* Listen more :music:
* Smile more :)
* LOL and if nothing works, invest in a big hammer like what other members said haha :hammer:

and then thank them in the end for existing for the sake of pushing you to try, play, pray, study, listen and smile more and harder. :uhhuh:

lychnobity

HSC
May as well ask how you work hard.

Anyone? ...honestly.
Work hard means to routinely practice something.

In the context of the HSC, working hard is nothing without working smart (ie to achieve the most amount of work in as little time as possible).

I'm a crammer so what I did was (of course, you shouldn't follow this to the T, but adapt it to suit you, seeing as I was pretty inconsistent):

CRAMMING for every subject except English and Maths

1) Download notes
2) Summarise them
3) Summarise again

4) Memorise the second summary using acronyms, repetition, "trigger words", rhymes, highlighters, making stories, LCWC (look, cover, write, check)

5) Repeat 4 once every 30 mins for 2 hours, then every 40 mins for 2h, then once every hour 3 times etc.

This should be done for 2 days straight at least

6) Practice papers/questions. This is the most important part. Skip all the easy ones that you can definitely do. Begin answering the questions in the middle of paper.

Use the dot point book for quick revision questions. Use textbooks to brush up on calculations (for chemistry/physics/engineering).

For humanities, find practice essay questions and as soon as you learn the topic, plan an answer to the question using the info you just learned.

ALTERNATELY

Get the syllabus and make notes on 5-10 dot points per day, depending on the difficulty of the dot points.

Using your notes, answer some textbook questions/dot point questions.

ENGLISH CRAMMING

Essays
Memorise at least 15 quotes and how they can be used. Think of every English assessment as a war; quotes/themes/arguments are your weapons, sophisticated language and adapting skills are your soldiers and you are the General dictating the plan of attack.

Memorise an introduction.

ANSWER THE QUESTION. CONSTANTLY REFER TO IT.

If you must memorise an essay do so, don't force yourself to write one on the spot if you don't have the ability to do so. Know your limits, and work with them. Don't try to recall the essay verbatim. It's ok if you miss some important wording. Just know the general flow of CONTENT. Know your essay so well that you can cut parts, add in some others and make it look like you wrote it on the spot.

Have a set structure for your essay. And a plan for every case possible. (ie how you would turn your essay into a feature article/speech/personal response)

Creative Writing
I had a range of scenes and characters planned out but no story, I just used them these scenes/characters to make a non linear narrative about an aspect of belonging.

Make something interesting up on the spot. Don't be boring. Draw upon your own experiences of belonging/isolation and take to a different level; a heightened reality per se. Don't make the protagonist yourself.

OR

If you must memorise, write 3 creatives (like Aerath on this site) and pick one to write when necessary.

MATHS

Practice. 15h a week is minimum. Memorise formulas.

You can't cram for maths.

Complete at least 3 practice papers before any exam. Work on your weak areas in preparation for any test.

When just doing routine practice, keep redoing questions you don't understand. The most important thing, is to use this site. The maths gods here are often better and more available than your teachers. (eg Drongoski, Trebla, untouchablecuz, jetblack2007, gurmies, lolokay, Aerath etc)

See:
http://community.boredofstudies.org...ral-most-efficient-way-learn.html#post4556479

Last edited:

bubbrubb

HSC
basically everything comes down to concepts. though u might have spent double or triple the time compared to some so called smart guy but u don't necessarily have a better concept and understanding. this is due to the fact of how u study. doing 10hrs of questions a day basically gives u nothing rather than probably precision and u are highly likely to forget about the stuff after a week. while u could have really just used 1 hr and focused on reading through the book over and over and doing a few questions and it will be good enough (all sample questions+3 harder questions are good enough). also u should try summarising. the shorter it is the better and eventually u should be able to just write basic definitions down as you should know how to derive everything and significantly reduces the amount of stuff u have to memorise. this also helps when ur revising for a test since u only need like 2hrs to revise the whole course while some other guy has to use several days. also if u are good enough (good concept) then u can link topics together and u'll realise that u can use stuffs from another topic in the topic ur doing and everything becomes easy after that. and yea believe in ur self that ur smart and u can do well and have confidence in ur self when ur doing a question because often it depends on who ever have the guts to go for it. but normally if u lack in confidence in the topic then u will probably be telling urself to give up before u actually attempt the question or u do attempt but thinking that u are not going to get it. finally, don't spend like 5+hrs a day studying because its just going to give u alot of pressure and stress which can significantly reduces the effectiveness of ur studying and in some severe cases it will basically make u just totally give up on a course or give up studying. and u will still need relaxation and enjoyment since life is not just about studying
noone listen to nething he said.

this guy doesn't kno what hes on about. 10 hours worth of questions doesn't improve simply precision. it drills in the techniques used to work out questions so that you will never forget it. this is so important as there will never be a repeat question but there will be repeat techniques and considering there are tons of techniques it is vital to have them permanently etched into your brain. it has to be natural - you need repetition. you can't simply learn the concept and expect to be able to apply it. one could memorise the notes in the cambridge textbook and only be able to do half of the questions because of a lack of flexibiity and lack of exposure to a wide variety of questions/ techniques. did u do maths 2 unit or general... the way you talk it seems like you have no idea about how to study for 3 and 4 unit and you are harming every person who has the misfortune of reading your post and believing you.

also you talk aout confidence... where do you think it comes from? from someone telling you to "go for it"... no... it comes from repeatedly doing questions that are challenging so that you feel comfortable with new questions.

lastly... you tallk about not studying 5+ hours because it might make him stressed... then melodramatically add in that he might go off the rails... . you are an idiot.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Study smart and study hard. Easier said than done but it'll be worth it to see their sorry ass on second rank. :D

mckensara

HSC
i was NEVER considered a naturally bright person. In fact, i was looked down on by all these so called "naturally bright people" for always waiting after my classes to ask my teachers to read over something, asking questions when i didnt quite understand something.

Honestly, these "naturally smart people", if they are the type at my school that knew they were bright (the type that hold it over your head like a medal) , are i believe at a disadvantage. the HSC is about hard fucking work, its about the time you put in to make sure that you understand the content in whatever way is best for you. I always had the philosophy that these people got things quicker than i did, they were faster and stronger and more prepared ect ect. so i used that as motivation to do that extra essay, to finish notes ect

To be honest i believe i had a much more open mind to learning and i tried really really hard. In the end, i did better than many of the people that towered over me all through high school, most of them in fact.

work hard. know your material. don't buy into mind games.

i have never won an academic award ever in my life (apart from a modern history prize this year which was more effort than anything else, having been ranked in the lower half of my grade in year 11 ), being naturally smart only gets you so far.

Last edited:

mckensara

HSC
there are naturally smart people who also work hard - they're not necessarily at a disadvantage
no of course not, naturally bright people have the upper hand at the start of the race

but as i said, if these people are anything like those at my school, the extra work those just below them put in ended up doing better if not just as well, because they worked harder and longer because their philosophy on learning was different.

by all means, i am really jealous naturally smart people, especially the ones that work hard!

bubbrubb

HSC
To beat the naturally gifted students, you must
1. Work smarter than they do. (that means following the dotpoint to the t for sciences and it means not wasting time trying to learn how to do question 8 for 4 unit maths but mastering 1 - 6)
2. Work harder than them.

Also working smarter means trying to have consistent effort in all subjects rather than just your favourite. Alot of gifted students in say maths will focus on just maths and neglect alot of others, giving you the opportunity to overtake them in the ATAR as you try to achieve a better average.

I was in a strange boat. All my friends seemed to always be overconfident in how i would go in exams. They thought i was very very smart because i never did work in class or out until it was too late to be starting to study for the upcoming exam by anyones standards. What they didn't realise was that even tho i started much later than anyone else, when i DID start studying, i studied very intensely. Essentially... what i lacked for in repetition and routine, i made up for in short term psycho effort. So what i'm saying is... every now and then i felt offended by people when I got my assessment marks/ hsc marks back and had them dismissed as a result of my ability rather than my hard work. I hope you guys are not the perpetrators...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Also remember if the smart people work hard like you do - you're still stuffed.

gesh17

HSC
N/A
Haha, I reckon.

Still, personally I believe every one of us has something that we're really awesome at; fortunately for some people it's school and studying...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)