How do you convince ur parents (1 Viewer)

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
AsyLum said:
Forgive me, you and intelligence don't really appear to gel well.
Oh, don't apologise. You're entitled to your own opinion, however they're formed.

I just wonder how often you get it wrong, making assumptions and judging people you don't actually know.

HSC
Skittled said:
(Don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll be quick) No, we were just models for a day for a wedding company! :D Soo much fun, and such beeeautiful photos!

Answer to original thread:

I agree it's about your parents letting you go, but on the other hand, they're just trying to protect you by doing what they feel is best. I had a girlfriend in late high school whose parents were many times worse than yours, and it makes things difficult from both sides (for both the boy- and girlfriend, AND the parents). Just gotta remember that they're trying to do the best for you that they can, based on their X years of combined experience, regardless of what you think is best for you, based on your 17 years (of which probably only about 7 (give or take) are actually being considered)...

Regarding getting them to let you go, it's a trust issue in a sense. It's not a lack of trust for you, but a lack of trust for the environment you're in. IT's a bit of a circular situation by the look of it -- they won't let you out, so you can't prove to them you'll be okay when they do let you out. In my opinion, somehow you'd need to establish some independance and prove to them that you're capable. If you had more time, rather than just the two months or so 'till christmas, this'd be a LOT easier.

If you haven't already, I'd make sure you know --inside out and back to front-- the situation you'd be going to. Make sure there's permission to stay somewhere when you're up there, make sure you'll have your mobile phone and give them a contact point when you'd be up there. Don't plan it all out, but make sure when they ask something you don't say "uh... I don't know". Assure them that you'll not do anything stupid -- and then DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID, regardless of how you think it'll turn out.

I don't know what your relationship with your parents is like, but if I were in your situation I'd sit down with them and talk to them.. almost hypothetically at first. Tell them you've been invited to go away at christmas -- dont say "I want to go away", but that you've been invited away, and you'd like to go through the motions of considering it, and tht you want to include your parents in that consideration. ...if you get too forceful in my experience, they'll get forceful in the opposite direction. If need be, don't ask for a decision-- just get them to think about it... if you push for a decision on the spot they're likely to say no (or, I would be, anyway!)

...that's how I'd get the ball rolling, anyway, but that would depend on your relationship with your parents...

oh skittled, ur sig is sooo sweet.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
playboy2njoy said:
Haha if I was your parent I wouldn't let you go. Because its obvious you'll be fucking him all holiday.
If she's over 18 she should be able to decide for herself.

But then again, if I was her parent I wouldn't let her either. :p

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Oh, don't apologise. You're entitled to your own opinion, however they're formed.

I just wonder how often you get it wrong, making assumptions and judging people you don't actually know.
Well since he has only seen, and will likely only ever see, you in an online context, it is fitting for him to make judgments based upon the personality that he will have to put up with every time he encounters you.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
withoutaface said:
Well since he has only seen, and will likely only ever see, you in an online context, it is fitting for him to make judgments based upon the personality that he will have to put up with every time he encounters you.
Which really isn't very often.

chooky_girl26

Lyshiez
HSC
Uni Grad
Your comment isn't welcome thankyou .... and if i was a floosey u think i'd go to the other side of the country u jerk?? fuck i'd get someone here u IDIOT ....
thanks everyone for ur help

pinkblinkbarbie

seduce me
HSC
ok. where should i start...
do your parents know his parents? if no, good, they should be saying no. they are being responsible, i wouldnt let my daughter go and stay at someones house in another state, especially if i didnt know the family where she is going. for all they know, your boyfriends house could be some whore house, or the foundations of some drug business.
its also an extremely long way for them to come and pick you up, if you and you boyfriend fight and you ring up hoping for them to collect you.
they have met your boyfriend twice? girl, you are kidding they should let you right?
also, why cant he come and visit you? will he be working? if he is, what will you do while he is working?
if you have also only met him twice, what sort of relationship is it?
to me, it sounds like some dirty net relationship - no offence. but he should be coming to visit you since you are the minor in the relationship.

69^boi

HSC
N/A
get bf to talk to parents on phone and ensure them about your safe stay?

HSC
Recently I stayed at my boyfriends house for the first time. It took ages for me to convince my parents into letting me stay there - especially my Dad who I swear still thinks I'm 10 years old! Anyway, I went into the conversation with a game plan :) LOL... I knew what I wanted, and thought about ways to get it. I told my parents that I was nearly 18 (7 weeks off) and that they needed to let me grow up. My boyfriend lives by himself and I said to them that it didn't take me to sleep over there for us to be sleeping together; it could and can happen at any time. I pointed out that both my parents trust my bf heaps and respect him alot. I said they knew I would be safe, and that I'm sensible. I told them they could call me in the morning and that they could trust me too. It's taken a few months, but now I'm allowed.

The issue with your parents thinking you'll be running away: Tell them you won't. Say to them something like "Mum, Dad... I don't plan on moving away from here, I like it here and I'm happy. I just want to go up for a week/fortnight/whatever, and then I'll be back to studying and Uni. I promise!"

Good Luck.

pmr_123

HSC
ok, i know how you feel, i'm in a long distance relationship, and it took me ages to talk my olds into letting me go stay with my bf, and meet his family.

if he's heaps older than you, then they won't like that at all, but if he's 17 -18, they should be cool with that.

the wholse sex thing, will you two be sharing a room and a bed while you're there??? if so, lie to your olds, cause that won't go down well

have your parents talked to his??? i assumje you would spend a lot of time on the phone, so put aside 10-20 mins of that to let your parents discuss some of this with his parents (this didn't work for me, my mum started a fight, but i ended up going up there)

grovel, study your ass off, and prove to them that you're responsible enough to go away.

hope i've helped.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
if all else fails....

i used to be in a long distance relationship and the only way i could go visit to him was to make up ridiculous lies such as "im going to live at my friend mels house for a week! her parent s said its ok. we are going to have big studying sessions!"
and then travelling the 6 hours to go stay with him, and just not showing up to uni for the week.

not very clever at all though

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
lil_dudette said:
say u just wanna take a holiday to port hedland to discover the scenery
LOL, can you sound any more suspicious?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
lil_dudette said:
hahaha...or even to give birth in a hospital there
LOL what the?!

You're usually pregnant for 9 months before you give birth. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)