How do you spend the last summer holiday before the HSC? (1 Viewer)

eggwah123

HSC
N/A
Want to listen to top achieving students.
How do you all spend your last summer break ( from mid Dec to end of Jan) before the HSC? Studying, tutoring, relaxing?
My kid is preparing for HSC 2018, want to know what top students do as a reference.
6 weeks of holidays!
Thanks.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Make sure he's/she's up to speed with everything, that means understanding basic concepts. If you want to get ahead with content you need to already understand your prerequisite knowledge. Use past papers to your advantage. Then if you want to get ahead with content look at stuff that they would understand - links to the basic contents learnt in prelim, then reassure this knowledge by answering some questions of past papers that relate to the topic. There are resources online that categorise questions depending on syllabus points.

But really be sure to allow your kid to relax. It is not necessary to get ahead, as likely many other students didn't even do that at got 90+ ATAR.

portia1605

HSC
I'd just make sure he gets his summaries done in advance for the first two terms or so if possible, especially if he does content heavy subjects such as Economics.
Just take the time to relax- he'll miss it during the year.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I'm guessing you mean the 6 week holidays, probably go 1-3 modules ahead for each subject so you save time writing notes throughout the year where you can just edit them instead, and you'll have more time for past papers. Also studies show learning stuff twice helps with retention so learning it in holidays then at school will help.

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
Want to listen to top achieving students.
How do you all spend your last summer break ( from mid Dec to end of Jan) before the HSC? Studying, tutoring, relaxing?
My kid is preparing for HSC 2018, want to know what top students do as a reference.
6 weeks of holidays!
Thanks.
If his basics in maths, physics, chemistry, etc in any subject isn't strong, then make sure his/her basics are up to scratch or else he/she will have a bit of difficulty in year 12

This advice will be mainly for HSC 2018 (because the curriculum will change in 2019)

English:
I'd look at things such as how to deconstruct essay questions, thesis samples, look at some discovery essays/creatives, brush up on language techniques, look for a related text (imo this will help you technique wise and with the short answer response)

Maths: brush up on basics if needed. Self learn the topics that you will be learning for the term e.g. if his/her school will be learning permutations and combinations as well as parametrics, he/she would spend his/her holidays self learning perms and combs as well as parametric to ensure that basics are covered and when the school term comes, he/she can just focus on harder questions

Science: look at videos from letslearnscience and other youtube channel to familiarise yourself with difficult concepts. IMO sometimes it takes ages to understand things properly and if your son/daughter can't understand something straight away don't worry. Try doing textbook questions when necessary and I would high recommend making notes during school holidays (since they can take ages to write, especially if you are too fussed about how much information you need)

Humanities: same thing as science. Also look at relevant case studies and statistics where neccessary

Does this help? do you need any more study tips?

andrew12678

HSC
You would have already done one term of yr 12 already before that holiday I presume (it's called Yr11 Term 4 but contains yr12 assessments)

I would recommend completing your AoS Essay and Creative in that time and maybe read your Mod A text if you know what it is.

eko367

HSC
I would recommend to be reading the texts for English including some potential related texts for Mod C, and A, since that would give them more time to relax later in the year. I would also recommend finishing the discovery creative during the holidays as that leaves time to work on it during the year. It's also important to relax as well, but maybe do some maths, and start writing notes, so then they can spend more time actually practicing than writing the notes themselves for subjects such as chemistry and economics.

Robbie M

HSC
Yeah so all of the above are great suggestions, however they should be complemented with some break time, you want to have a rest so you don't burn out, yr 12 is a long year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)