How do you study for exams? (1 Viewer)

shaon0

HSC
Since half-yearlies are starting....I was wondering.
How do you study? What are your study habits?

Devouree

Good names already taken.
HSC
shaon0 said:
Since half-yearlies are starting....I was wondering.
How do you study? What are your study habits?
Just starting? I've only got my science pracs left!

Study habits? *study, what study* kind of attitude really doesn't help (sry, that's what I'm like). But I cram the day before exams. Like now, except actually cramming...

m&ss2008

HSC
i always find doing past papers and challenging exercises in maths helpful. that way when i get some answers wrong i can really focus on those weaker areas.

in other subjects i mainly go over notes/handouts from class and pick out the most important stuff.

bored of sc

HSC
for the half-yearlys I made typed notes following the syllabus and plan to some practise tests given to us by teachers for maths and chemistry, as for religion and music - well I can bullshit and waffle my way through them (hopefully effectively) lol!

but seriously, constant revision is a must in senior years - and I haven't started doing that yet :eek:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Redid my dotpoint book for Chem and Phys. Had a look at past papers from school and the ones we did in tutor.
Don't study for Maths
Wrote English essay twice - and then summarised what I could in my head (failed big time :p)
Legal studies - wrote out syllabus dotpoints.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Mathematics & Mathematics Extension 1: Using our best friend Fitzpatrick would do the job.

Chemistry: Typing notes up & reading, memorising & past papers & Dot Point. Perfect study routine!

Biology: Typing notes up & reading, memorising & past papers & Dot Point.
Another perfect study routine!

English: Reading a large variety of texts (e.g. newspapers, novels, poems, etc.)

Business Studies: Typing notes up & reading, memorising & few questions in the textbook & rereading to fresh your mind up

SOR I: Copy & paste the notes from BOS into the Word Document. Just study like there ain't tomorrow. :)

By the way, make sure you follow syllabi (or syllabuses). Consistent studying is the key to success!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Never understood why reading newspapers, novels and poems just for a specific exam ever did any good. To be honest, I never thought it does. You have to read over a period of time (lets say about a term or so) before you start reaping the benefits from a lot of reading.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Notes to be completed 5-6 weeks before exams.

2-3 weeks reviewing notes + math topics (challenge exercises in books) and the final 2-3 weeks left you just do past paper after past paper.

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
2 best ways to study:

*past papers - keep bugging ur teachers until they giv u enuff past papers from ur school, ask ur senior friends from other schools if they hav past papers, BUY past papers, search on the net!

*if u make notes, make sure u hav a copy of the syllabus with u. they can NOT ask u a question that is not related to the syllabus.

fjnpenguin

HSC
m&ss2008 said:
i always find doing past papers and challenging exercises in maths helpful. that way when i get some answers wrong i can really focus on those weaker areas.

in other subjects i mainly go over notes/handouts from class and pick out the most important stuff.
we r not allowed to use past papers cause apparently old questions appear in the current teests.

fjnpenguin

HSC
i keep revising the stuff i have already done and keep getting new questions to do. get the book maths in focus and do the questions in them. it helped me:)

Tutored

Snooze Fest
HSC
I cram and make notes usually few days - the night before. Its worked well for me in the past, but from what I hear thats going to change :p
So yes, as said above, constant revision sounds like the better idea, and as soon as I can attempt to comply with that, I will do so!

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
Tutored said:
I cram and make notes usually few days - the night before. Its worked well for me in the past, but from what I hear thats going to change :p
So yes, as said above, constant revision sounds like the better idea, and as soon as I can attempt to comply with that, I will do so!
hell yeh! constant revision! dont cram a few days b4 the exam like i do lol. u need a good nite's sleep b4 the exam, so that ur brain is fresh and u can think clearly without havin mental blanks!

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
yeh for english no matter wat the question is (except creative writing), u will be required to know techniques.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Maths: Do all exercises and do harder textbooks
English: Remember quotes and notes taken down in class.
Physics: Study notes and diagrams and making sure that I understand them to the fullest extent. Also, I do past exam questions.
Economics: Read the newspaper and study all notes.
Japanese: Memorise like mad.

m&ss2008

HSC
after my interview with the principal he recommended writing essays with no time limit, then once you feel confident cut it down to fit into the time limit.:read: :read: :read:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)