How does Ancient tend to be scaled? (1 Viewer)

SmokedSalmon

HSC
It could be worse

Well that is just great, ancient history is scaled poorly. And this just has to be the year when most universities uai's will shoot up majorily... Why does everything bad happen to me?
But thankfully I am good at ancient history and all my other subjects have good scaling but still... anyway it could be worse have you heard that they are going to introduce a core topic to ancient history? So in following years on top of what you need to know (personality, society, historical periods) you will also be learning about ancient china! yikes! :p

Ringo

Originally posted by SmokedSalmon
Well that is just great, ancient history is scaled poorly. And this just has to be the year when most universities uai's will shoot up majorily... Why does everything bad happen to me?
But thankfully I am good at ancient history and all my other subjects have good scaling but still... anyway it could be worse have you heard that they are going to introduce a core topic to ancient history? So in following years on top of what you need to know (personality, society, historical periods) you will also be learning about ancient china! yikes! :p
I imagine they'll get rid of the extra society/period ;) tho I wish they'd get rid of the personality study!

Harimau

You are not me, therefore you are irrelevant
HSC
Originally posted by SmokedSalmon
Bloody Hell! I miss out on that... I love studying about Ancient China, its my hobby ;). So tempted to repeat year 12...

Chelle

DAMN!!

I hate my school!! Our average for the trial was around 77
That means we get scaled down to what? 60 or something (sorry no good at maths)

AND IM NOT ONE OF THE TOP PEOPLE!!

im soo doomed!! I dont get why ancient is supposed to be easy - its not easy! i dont get the stupid Delian League stuff for the greeks!!
i do alright in modern.. Legal i do good in.. english i do bad in.. maths i do bad in..

i think ill be getting a uai of about 60.. :(

Last edited:

SmokedSalmon

HSC
Damn the scaling

Originally posted by Chelle
DAMN!!

I hate my school!! Our average for the trial was around 77
That means we get scaled down to what? 60 or something
i think ill be getting a uai of about 60.. :(
Whoah calm down Chelle. Your school could mark very harshly (like mine does) and that is why the average for the trial was so low. Remember that if the majority of ur classmates doing the same subject do far better in the HSC then the overall assesment mark from ur school, then ur mark wouldn't go down that much (it could go up). Look just try ur best and not worry too much about it. Everyone is in the same boat... nothing else you can do.

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
Plus it's not a matter of whether or not ancient is easy. For me, this is the subject with the biggest workload.

Scaling depends on how everyone sitting that subject does in their other subjects. If everyone does well in their other subjects, then the scaled mean will be higher.

So maybe over the past two years ppl in general doing ancient have not done as well in their other subjects.

Might be different this year. *hoping with all her heart*

revoltism

this scaling shit is fuckin stupid,
the whole educational system is pathetic, theyve never gotten it right.
If only whitlam was here, free university.. yum....

Leon585

HSC
yeh whitlam was a bit of a sick cunt
and scaling is just a cunt

p.s ancient china is shit harimau. seriously man get over them

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Eep. My class's average in exams is usually at about the 50% mark. Does that mean that my class will be scaled down more than others, depending on circumstances?

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I'm so annoyed about how I've always been fed this bullshit about "if you work hard it will pay off", when really my grades are partially dependant on how my class performs. My class is hopeless, so because I have a hopeless class, I'll be brought down really no matter how hard I've worked. excuse me but that's just fucked. This scaling system is totally wrong, IMHO.

dirty dave

Banned
HSC
N/A
actually, if u worked hard, u should be ranked very high if everyone else is shit, which means your mark wouldn't be affected by ur class as much

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Actually I'm tagging behind several freakish history nerd people I've never had any chance of beating, then there's me somewhere in limbo behind them and then the rest of the class who just don't care. So I'm ranked okay but not great

Wiggum

Originally posted by dirty dave
actually, if u worked hard, u should be ranked very high if everyone else is shit, which means your mark wouldn't be affected by ur class as much
It depends how far you are from the rest of our class, usually if you're somewhere between 20-30+ marks ahead then the scaling won't affect you as much.
Originally posted by Lundy
My class is hopeless, so because I have a hopeless class, I'll be brought down really no matter how hard I've worked.
It depends where you are in your class, if you're up in the top 3, then you don't have much to worry about as the rest of your class won't affect your makr by much at all.
Originally posted by Gregor Samsa
Eep. My class's average in exams is usually at about the 50% mark. Does that mean that my class will be scaled down more than others, depending on circumstances?
IF they get an average around there, then yes they should. But everything just depends on other things, so they could be scaled up.
Originally posted by mic
Scaling depends on how everyone sitting that subject does in their other subjects. If everyone does well in their other subjects, then the scaled mean will be higher.
Really? I thought there were only two types of scaling, the subject scaling used in the calculation of the UAI and the school scaling. I thought scaling was only used for each subject individually and not compared with each other.

Wiggum

Originally posted by Lundy
Actually I'm tagging behind several freakish history nerd people I've never had any chance of beating, then there's me somewhere in limbo behind them and then the rest of the class who just don't care. So I'm ranked okay but not great
That might be a problem for you then, but of course i can't say for sure, you really have to hope that the bottom guys pick up their act and the freaks do really well.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
There are three types of 'scaling'.

moderating - school assessment marks are moderated against the class's exam marks, to make them comparable between schools (based on the ranks and relative differences between students)

aligning - raw exam marks and moderated assessment marks are 'aligned' to course performance bands, so that marks are reported against standards (these are the marks reported by the Board)

scaling - raw HSC marks (average of raw exam mark and mod assess mark) are 'scaled' to make them comparable between courses (based on the strength of the candidature in each course, defined by how well they do over all the subjects taken)

LucyLamingtons

HSC
are you seeeeeeeeeerious?
shiiiiit...well i goto a selective school and still
people in my class totally dont care and basically barely pass in all of their topics
does that mean that their shit marks will drag down the whole classes?
hmmm...ancient history isn't THAT easy....but im glad modern scales better, coz thats the worst outta my three histories...
hmmm
bugger

dirty dave

Banned
HSC
N/A
for the uai your class mark doesn't matter, its only your position that counts, hence the ppl doing shit now in your won't affected you

Pogmahaugn

hmmm, are you sure its only the rank that matters, not the mark?

say the top person in the class gets 90, and the third person gets 70, then it doesnt make any difference whether the third person's mark is 89 or 71?? (in internal, this is)

that cant be right....

Wiggum

I'm not too sure myself if the UAI is calculated using the raw or aligned marks. The scaling is based on the raw marks yes, but the UAI, i'll let Laz clear that up. Besides, IF your class does well in the HSC, then the aligned marks will be significantly higher and so will the moderated mark so the school mark right now is only a clear indication of who is better in the class.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)