How does Ancient tend to be scaled? (1 Viewer)

*10#

modern scales betta than ancient

sux shit all u ppl stuck in da past ( ha ha )

SmokedSalmon

HSC
I know that *10# but why? Before the syllabus was changed (up to 2000) ancient was scaled better than modern. But now it has done a switcharoo? That is REALLY REALLY stupid. Anyone can tell that ancient is so much harder then modern. I wish someone had informed me of this... in my next life i'd choose subjects that scale better over my interests.

dirty dave

Banned
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Pogmahaugn
hmmm, are you sure its only the rank that matters, not the mark?

say the top person in the class gets 90, and the third person gets 70, then it doesnt make any difference whether the third person's mark is 89 or 71?? (in internal, this is)

that cant be right....
it doesn't matter cause the internal mark is calculated based upon the hsc exam mark of the school.
For example person x come first in the internal assesments, while person y comes second. In the hsc exam, however, person y comes first with 90, while person x comes second with 80.
the internal mark of person x would be 90,while person y would be 80. Thus the two students would have identical hsc raw mark of 85.
based on last year an anciect raw mark of 85 would be scaled down to 69.
hope its not too confusing , im not good at explaining this :D

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by *10#
modern scales betta than ancient

sux shit all u ppl stuck in da past ( ha ha )

errr if your doing modern HISTORY, then my friend you are still studying the past, jsut more recent...good idea....wait no...ancient rulz :D

/edit/

aaaaaaaah a raw mark of 85 scaled down to 69 WTF!!!!!!

Last edited:

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
scaling - raw HSC marks (average of raw exam mark and mod assess mark) are 'scaled' to make them comparable between courses (based on the strength of the candidature in each course, defined by how well they do over all the subjects taken)

woah, are you serious?
so say i got 95+ in all my other subjects, but my raw hsc mark was 85 for ancient, would it be bumped up or what...?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
It's not done on an individual basis.

Let's say there are 1000 students studying a particular course.

For each student, their average mark over all of the subjects they take is calculated.

Then, each of those 1000 average marks is averaged.

If this average is high, the candidature is strong, and so the course is scaled up (because it would be harder for an average student to obtain a high rank in that course).

Similarly, if the average is low, the candidature is weak, and so the course is scaled down (because it would be easier for an average student to obtain a high rank in that course).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)