How does tied ranks work for the HSC? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi, for Economics, Im tied 2nd with another boy, but i beat him by two marks in the trials :L. So how does that work in the Hsc? I know that with the HSC, the person ranked first with receive the highest mark. But how does it work with tied ranks?

HSC
Hi, for Economics, Im tied 2nd with another boy, but i beat him by two marks in the trials :L. So how does that work in the Hsc? I know that with the HSC, the person ranked first with receive the highest mark. But how does it work with tied ranks?
How are you tied 2nd if you beat him by 2 marks? OR are you both overall second and the data in bold is just random thing you told us?

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
This is how your teacher calculates the ranking for each assignment:
Assignment mark/Full mark x Weighting
For example
Exam is out of 100 marks
You got 50 marks
Exam weights 20%
=> 50/100x20=10%
Add all the weighting from the first assignment to the last one. You got your ranking mark (maybe course mark idk)
In your case, your friend must've beaten you in other assignments or half yearly.

Last edited:

photastic

HSC
You both get the 2nd highest assessment mark at your school. Straight forward duhhhhh

Iwillget9995

HSC
Wrong , aarondapho. Otherwise an entire school would place every student but one as equal first, and a very good student second, and have them all dragged up by a ludicrous amount. From BOS website:

"Note that if a school submits assessment marks with two (or more) students tied on the top assessment mark, then the top moderated assessment mark is equal to the mean of the top two (or more) examination marks. This is also the case if students are tied on the bottom assessment mark. Please also note that the standard deviation is never used to moderate school assessment marks."

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Wrong , aarondapho. Otherwise an entire school would place every student but one as equal first, and a very good student second, and have them all dragged up by a ludicrous amount. From BOS website:

"Note that if a school submits assessment marks with two (or more) students tied on the top assessment mark, then the top moderated assessment mark is equal to the mean of the top two (or more) examination marks. This is also the case if students are tied on the bottom assessment mark. Please also note that the standard deviation is never used to moderate school assessment marks."
Interesting wonder what other method they use which doesn't involve s.d

HSC

Wouldn't be believable unless Ruse or something haha :p

WhoStanLeee

HSC
This is how your teacher calculates the ranking for each assignment:
Assignment mark/Full mark x Weighting
For example
Exam is out of 100 marks
You got 50 marks
Exam weights 20%
=> 50/100x20=10%
Add all the weighting from the first assignment to the last one. You got your ranking mark (maybe course mark idk)
In your case, your friend must've beaten you in other assignments or half yearly.
Yes I agree that this is how the system works. I worked out a few of my classmates marks using this exact formula and calculated the end of year relative placings using the assessments weighting, giving a score out of 100% at the end. Some subjects it was really close, but how much do teachers typically round by. I beat my classmate by 0.4, yet we were tied on the same rank...Is it usually rounded to the closest whole number, or 0.5?

photastic

HSC
Yes I agree that this is how the system works. I worked out a few of my classmates marks using this exact formula and calculated the end of year relative placings using the assessments weighting, giving a score out of 100% at the end. Some subjects it was really close, but how much do teachers typically round by. I beat my classmate by 0.4, yet we were tied on the same rank...Is it usually rounded to the closest whole number, or 0.5?
Whole number.

SweatyAsian#1

HSC
What would be your top tips for succeeding in Economics smart man?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)