How does your internal ranking affect your ATAR? (1 Viewer)

jet

Banned
HSC
So basically, first internal rank.. gets the first external mark, but that doesnt necessarily mean that there going to get the highest assessment mark (which is calculated by the average of the internal + external mark), which consequently is used to work out the atar?
Ok. There are three marks:

Exam mark which you call external mark

Assessment mark, associated with internal ranks

HSC mark, the average of the two above.

The UAC works with a RAW HSC mark. Rather than using the moderated exam mark that you see on your report, they take the raw mark that you achieved in the exam, with no changes made to it at all. This raw mark is averaged with the assessment mark you DO see to get this Raw HSC mark. They scale the raw HSC mark to give you your ATAR.

HSC

The UAC works with a RAW HSC mark. Rather than using the moderated exam mark that you see on your report, they take the raw mark that you achieved in the exam, with no changes made to it at all. This raw mark is averaged with the assessment mark you DO see to get this Raw HSC mark. They scale the raw HSC mark to give you your ATAR.
Makes sense.....

HSC

well said :)

sam5

HSC

Ur a good person.

How do they determine the dux at ur school? At mine, im cummin first in my sciences (and doin real well at them), but my competitor (who isnt in sciences) is beating me by 2 - 5 makrs in 3 subjects (he is first, im second). When i plug some estimated results into a uai calcularor, i always cum out on top.

Am i more dererving?

jet

Banned
HSC
I honestly don't know how my school calculates dux. We can generally work it out from ranks, but it's really really close this year for our class. I'm pretty sure it is a cumulative average of our units, but we haven't been told, nor do I think we will.

I'll find out on thursday night anyway.

In terms of your performance, it also relies on the subjects you aren't coming first in. If it's a UAI thing, then you should get it, since you came out on top. Otherwise, I can't really say. Good luclk with it anyway :D

sam5

HSC
thankyou.

and just for the record, im cumming 2nd in all the subjects that im not cummin 1st in (theres 4 of the 2nd placed ones).

jet

Banned
HSC
Ok. Assessment marks are determined by the performance of your whole class in the exam. The highest exam mark will be the highest assessment mark, and the lowest exam mark will be the lowest assessment mark. They basically rearrange the assessment marks in the middle to fit the gaps between school ranks and the performance of the whole cohort in the exam.

Say you are ranked 1st internally but you do get a 60 exam mark. Then, even if you get a 95 assessment mark, the HSC mark will still only be the average of that = 78. Even then, assuming the exam was aligned well, the 60 aligned will be less than that, making the raw HSC mark (used to calculate your ATAR) lower, as it is the average of the raw exam mark and your moderated school mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)