How does your internal ranking affect your ATAR? (1 Viewer)

saberbladexx

HSC
If you are 1st for all you're subjects you wont be adversely affected.

If you're not first then you're internal ranking will probably affect you're atar depending on how strong your cohort at your school is, e.g.
-a rank say 10/40 in a rank 50s school would be better than a rank 10/40 in a rank 200s school because the cohort in the rank 50s school is 'better' than the one in the 200s school.

You should post your rankings and subjects on the forums to give you a rough idea how it affects you specifically.

yz125

HSC
what happens if u come 2nd internally in a subject. Does that mean u get the second highest mark in the external test?

HSC
what happens if u come 2nd internally in a subject. Does that mean u get the second highest mark in the external test?
That's what we're trying to find out... however no one with such knowledge of confirming is replying. :mad1:

TheStallion

HSC
Of course not, someone could do extremely well in the internal assessments then bomb out and fail their external examination.

yz125

HSC
Of course not, someone could do extremely well in the internal assessments then bomb out and fail their external examination.
umm thats my point? For example, if i were to not do so well in my external examination, would I still get the second highest mark? I think you should re-think what u just said in response to my first post.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Brief summary -

There's like 1320482397492387980 threads about it, but I'll summarise as best as possible.

Say theres a class of 5 students - A B C D E

They do their internal assessments, the school submits their RAW internal marks to BOS. Let's say they ranked A,B,C,D,E respectively.

They do their HSC - results are as follows -

A - 87
B - 85
C - 90
D - 77
E - 98

As A comes first internally, he/she is designated the highest external mark for their internal mark. Hence, A gets 98 (it's not stealing, they deserve it as they did come first internally, the external exam measures the 'potential' of the cohort). I'm not sure whether the last person (E) gets designated the lowest external mark, but what they do is collect all the marks (to form a 'pool' of marks) from the external HSC (of course after giving A his internal) and distribute the marks ACCORDING TO THE MARK GAPS BETWEEN EACH RANK. This is to cater to people who come first by 20% and what not.

You ALWAYS ALWAYS keep your external mark as your external mark, this does NOT change. Your EXTERNAL marks determine your INTERNAL mark - the lower you are, the more you rely on those ranked above you.

TheStallion

HSC
umm thats my point? For example, if i were to not do so well in my external examination, would I still get the second highest mark? I think you should re-think what u just said in response to my first post.
You asked that if you come 2nd in internals, do you automatically get 2nd in the external exams. Learn to phrase what you want to get across properly.

Handmedown

HSC
Your internal rank determines which external mark will be used to align your internal mark. Your internal marks obviously must be altered, as schools/teachers will mark differently throughout the state. So whoever is ranked first internally, their internal mark will be adjusted according to the highest external mark from their school. Your external mark is your own. You don't get anyone's external or internal mark. Your internal mark is yours (after being aligned with the equivalent ranked external exam mark).

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Your internal rank determines which external mark will be used to align your internal mark. Your internal marks obviously must be altered, as schools/teachers will mark differently throughout the state. So whoever is ranked first internally, their internal mark will be adjusted according to the highest external mark from their school. Your external mark is your own. You don't get anyone's external or internal mark. Your internal mark is yours (after being aligned with the equivalent ranked external exam mark).

last sentence - wrong

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
i realy can't put it in any simpler words.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)