How exactly do individual rankings work? (1 Viewer)

Lolzipops

HSC
Hey everyone, I was just wondering whether rankings only count if you are coming first in a particular subject, or if your ranking counts no matter where you are coming.
I don't think that makes sense, so allow me to elaborate!
I know that if someone is coming first in a subject, they will receive the highest HSC exam mark that is attained. However, if you are ranked second in a subject (like I am in quite a few), do you receive the second highest HSC exam mark, or do you receive the exam mark that you yourself achieved?

Thanks for your help!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you're second, you receive an external HSC mark that is equal to your own, and an internal assessment mark that is extrapolated from a graph that BOS makes that maps internal assessment marks to external assessment marks, and gives you a mark relative to how close you were internally.

Thief

!!
HSC
You've got it a bit wrong. Basically, your final score is made up 50% from your ranking (through assesments during school) and 50% from your final exam mark.

And in the 50% from the ranking, yes you are correct in saying that the person who ranked first will receive the top final exam mark from your school. However everyone past that rank doesnt receive the 2nd best, 3rd best marks etc. but rather the distance between each ranking is taken into account and so you receive a mark that is of equivalent distance from that top final exam mark.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You've got it a bit wrong. Basically, your final score is made up 50% from your ranking (through assesments during school) and 50% from your final exam mark.

And in the 50% from the ranking, yes you are correct in saying that the person who ranked first will receive the top final exam mark from your school. However everyone past that rank doesnt receive the 2nd best, 3rd best marks etc. but rather the distance between each ranking is taken into account and so you receive a mark that is of equivalent distance from that top final exam mark.
yes and they do this by making a nice little graph

The two 'set' points are first and last.

So usually, the first placed person gets the highest external mark as their own internal moderated mark. And the last placed person gets the lowest external mark as their own internal moderated mark.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Simply put - yes ranks count all the way through the cohort but just as important is the gap between the ranks.

If you are coming 2nd by 2 mark you will end up with a different mark to if you were coming 2nd by 10 marks - that difference is gaps is equally important.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)