How good are you at sightreading? (1 Viewer)

AGB

HSC
i have perfect pitch as well......but i cant read bass clef to save myself......anyway, i do jazz piano so all that matters is the treble, which i have no probs with, and the chords, which i also have no problems with....

but seriously, if i had to play a classical piece i would sound like i could not even play the piano (and i have been playing for 11 years :D)

chip

HSC
i'm not too bad at sight reading although it depends what instrument i'm playing
i've been told sight reading is the hardest for pianists and easiest for brasseys

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
Originally posted by sugaryblue
I am below average for sight reading :(

I don't know why, it takes me a long long time in order to learn a piece of music
dont worry... u will get there... if i did... every1 can!!!

who else rekons that scales are a bitch to practice????!!

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
technical work sucks full stop :p i'm glad i don't have to do it in an exam ever again :D though i still have to practise heaps :(

apparantly i have near perfect pitch, which is REALLY annoying >:B

s_a

I don't sightread at all. I've been told it's a bad habit to write down the notes, but I've never listened. So I am pretty good, if I don't say so myself, at writing down what the notes are :D

cakes

hi
HSC
i am decent at sight reading/sight singing i guess.. perfect pitch helps a lot
i havent played any scales or anything in about 5 years.. and im glad

ND

HSC
Originally posted by chip
i'm not too bad at sight reading although it depends what instrument i'm playing
i've been told sight reading is the hardest for pianists and easiest for brasseys
I'd have thought it'd be easy on the piano, considering that there's only one key for each note. Sometimes on guitar it's difficult to decide which string/fret to play the note on (cos there are like 3 different positions for each note). Maybe that's why very few guitarists sight-read, i only learned because i was planning on being a session musician while i was in uni.

who else rekons that scales are a bitch to practice????!!
arpeggios are
Hahah, all those hours sitting there practicing sweep arpeggios and scales again and again were definately worth it... I love showing off... :D

cakes

hi
HSC
Originally posted by ND
I'd have thought it'd be easy on the piano, considering that there's only one key for each note.

but pianists have to play more than one note at a time!

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
well it kinda goes... wen u get ur new songs for each grade u get excited n practice them heaps n then it just wears off after u know how to play them

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
well it kinda goes... wen u get ur new songs for each grade u get excited n practice them heaps n then it just wears off after u know how to play them.. love sightreading modern music... n u can sing along..lol

picaresque

HSC
recently i've been practicing sight reading (even though AMEB killed the requirement for diploma's) with Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. While I am probably murdering one of my favourite pieces of music, my sight-reading has improved exponentially.

Cicciolina

HSC
I've always been pretty bad at remembering and sightreading - worse at remembering, I just *could not* do it at all for my year 8 piano exam! The best advice for sightreading is just to go slow.

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
WHAT????
AMEB killed the requirement of sightreading???

rubylotus11

I wish I was really good, but I am afraid once a piece of music starts getting complicated I am hopeless. I think reading piano music must be hard since you have to read two at a time for your left and right hands. I played the flute for a while and I think it's easier since it's just the one line.

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
owww... u think ur bad... u should see me n my 8th grade peices..... i hate playing it... i cant even play it properly n im sick of it already!

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
lol thats what i hate about doing exams.. you only play the ones u get examined on. you play and play and play until you get damn sick of them ,you dont wanna play anymore. but i find that along with other commitments, you dont have time to play the songs you want. thats why i quit.... i dont know if i regret it yet or not...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)