How hard is Bachelor of Commerce - Major Accounting (1 Viewer)

honsaw

HSC
N/A
I was wondering since unsw is a prestigious uni, are the assignments and exams
alot harder than other uni's such as uts,macquarie etc.. Is there alot of group work or
more individual work??

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
All I know is that there is a ****load of people doing Commerce and majoring in Accounting (and Finance).

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
I've only been at UNSW so I can't compare to other unis, but Accounting is pretty easy and I haven't done any group work at all for Accounting.

Garygaz

HSC
it depends on what kind of mind you have. if you're the kind of person who understands accounting, who it just clicks with (which is surprisingly quite a lot of people), it will be pretty easy. you'll usually get an idea from the acc1 and acc2 on how you'll fare in a major. just chug along doing the core courses first and see if you enjoy them.

honsaw

HSC
N/A
I actually already completed my Tafe Accounting Diploma and i'm deciding whether or not to
go to UTS or UNSW, as i already got an offer from UTS.. But if i do decide to go to UNSW i doubt
they will give me any subject exemptions.. as for UTS i got 5 subjects exempted.
Also can you give me a brief overview of the core subjects ACCT1501 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1A
ECON1101 Microeconomics 1
ECON1203 Business & Economic Statistics
MGMT1001 Managing Organisations&People
Also is there more exams involved than assignments ?

Garygaz

HSC
micro one is a rehash of year 12 eco + some new concepts in the 2nd half of the semester. generally quite an easy subject and there is a mid-semester and final exam but also a couple of in class tests and an assignment

statistics is a hit and miss subject. it's just heavily maths orientated and isn't really relevant or applicable to every day life/business. if you enjoy numbers/equations this will be a breeze otherwise you will just have to put up with it, like me.

management is probably the easiest course to bullshit your way through. the content is pretty thread-bare and seems to be a highly opinion based subject (no right/wrong answers in the final exam, many short answers/essays). there is a large group project about team-work and climbing everest (you do an online simulation).

oh and accounting is pretty much just learning all the basics, debits/credits, lifo fifo, ledgers and all that jazz. nothing too difficult, just making sure you keep up to date as it's sort of difficult to cram.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
for micro i don't remember having to do an assignment, but it might change each semester.

accounting is super easy as long as you know how to add/subtract and have common sense.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
what about requirements for CPA Australia certification
The legal courses are annoying but quite doable...the hardest thing is trying to stay awake in lectures
Finance 1613 and 1612 are quite straightforward (1612 is all just memorising, it's really boring)
and Info Systems is easy but my tutor was a bitch and I wanted to stab her all the time.

kslevel

HSC
N/A
The legal courses are annoying but quite doable...the hardest thing is trying to stay awake in lectures
Finance 1613 and 1612 are quite straightforward (1612 is all just memorising, it's really boring)
and Info Systems is easy but my tutor was a bitch and I wanted to stab her all the time.
What do you think of ACCT2542 and ACCT3708?

kslevel

HSC
N/A
Okies lol, is it difficult? I'm not sure what to expect. I haven't done ACCT5943 before :p

Yes, I'm studying B Commerce
I guess ACCT3563 harder than ACCT2542, because ACCT5943 more difficult than ACCT5942( ACCT5942 and ACCT2542 are similar ).

Actually, I'm studying master of professional accounting.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
would like to know for 3A as well. :) would it be wise to take 3A and audit together?
i didn't, but i know lots of people who did and they seemed to manage fine.
edit: i think 3a and audit together would be better than mgmt2 and audit together...

Last edited:

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
What do you think of ACCT2542 and ACCT3708?
can't remember codes...
3708 audit... seems really easy and straightforward in lectures but then the mcq topic tests are really hard. and they mark really hard in the assign, with it pretty much beibg impossible to get full marks. my group got 16/20 which was the best in our class. but on the plus side the exam was not too bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)