• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How hard is getting a 90+ UAI ?? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Well you see... in life you're either pro, or you're a noob.

A simple answer to a simple question.

xsjado

HSC
tommykins said:
Obviously it's all a matter of your perception. I find 90+ really easy, so did all my mates barely did any work but was able to get it.
How can you find it really easy to get 90+ if you haven't even gotten your UAI yet?

If you already have that much confidence in yourself why do you feel the need to imply that you're naturally smart all the time?

It just seems like you're inscure about your own abilities and you seek solace by acting this way on the internet.

runnable

HSC
xsjado said:
How can you find it really easy to get 90+ if you haven't even gotten your UAI yet?

If you already have that much confidence in yourself why do you feel the need to imply that you're naturally smart all the time?

It just seems like you're inscure about your own abilities and you seek solace by acting this way on the internet.

ohhh... Well although a little modesty never goes amiss, I'm sure say, a person in James Ruse right now who is topping everything can confidently say a UAI of 90+ is easy.

And that was just an extreme example, a person will just need to be in a decent school and confortably topping his/her subjects to feel that a UAI of 90 should not be out of his/her reach. And I think theres nothing wrong with that.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: How hard is getting a 90+ UAI ??

xsjado said:

Let's see, ALL my 98+ friends have said it's been easy.

The statistics released in my school have shown that the top 100(out of 160) students get 90+ (which I'm a part of, considering my ranks).

And I've never implied that I'm naturally smart(in terms of being a genius), not even close to it, I've done alot of work to get where I'm at today, just don't see it as much work as I thought it would've required.

And yeah I'm insecure about my abilities. I'll talk to you when I get my 90+ right?

EDIT - Also, currently top 30% in all my subjects excluding English, attending a top 30 school (not to mention my grade was told that we'd surpass last years grade, possibly pushing our rankings to top 20). I'd be confident to say that I am going to get 90+ with my progress.

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
runnable said:
ohhh... Well although a little modesty never goes amiss, I'm sure say, a person in James Ruse right now who is topping everything can confidently say a UAI of 90+ is easy.

And that was just an extreme example, a person will just need to be in a decent school and confortably topping his/her subjects to feel that a UAI of 90 should not be out of his/her reach. And I think theres nothing wrong with that.
True. But it lets others down who feel that their reach towards 90 UAI is a bit far-fetched.

I would be extremely annoyed to hear someone saying that 90 UAI is easy to get when I didn't get one. (not that it is wrong. It just doesn't sound desirable in the context I provided)

runnable

HSC
lyounamu said:
True. But it lets others down who feel that their reach towards 90 UAI is a bit far-fetched.

I would be extremely annoyed to hear someone saying that 90 UAI is easy to get when I didn't get one. (not that it is wrong. It just doesn't sound desirable in the context I provided)
Yes I agree with you.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
tommykins said:
Yeah I was going to say if you can't get 90+ with a genuine effort, you must be stupid - but didnt want to offend people.

Oops.
I guess the only pressure now lies on you- i told myself all year that i would go shit, lucky to push 70 and that i would be estatic with anything over 80. I was also dux, 1st in every subject out of 150+ ppl and ended up pulling a 98 UAI. The point, a surprise can be nice. Expecting it, that can in many cases just lead to disappointment or at the very least relief. You wanna be stoked on that final day when you lay ur eyes on the result!

*Whether it made a differnce but my school was like bottom 100-200

Last edited:

me121

Premium Member
HSC
tommykins said:
Obviously it's all a matter of your perception. I find 90+ really easy, so did all my mates barely did any work but was able to get it.
I don't like to say its easy to get a UAI of 90. I only just got above 90 and I put in heaps of effort! A lot of other people try really hard and only get 70 or 80. Besides the UAI is a rank so there is a set amount of people that can only get 90+, i.e. 10% of the state.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
me121 said:
I don't like to say its easy to get a UAI of 90. I only just got above 90 and I put in heaps of effort! A lot of other people try really hard and only get 70 or 80. Besides the UAI is a rank so there is a set amount of people that can only get 90+, i.e. 10% of the state.
exactly. quoting statistics of past friends is frivalous at best.

1) different year, different tests.

2) Their not YOU

3) How can u be 100 percent certain you won't fuck up. You havnt even done trials yet, ur ranks could change dramatically as can confidence. The actual HSC puts many under immense pressure, especially good performers if they are expecting a huge UAI- nerves/sickness anything can happen and make u underperform.

4) How do u know u'll be alive by the time of the HSC? Fuck anything can happen man- ran over, meteorite hit the Earth...just saying :)

-Anfernee-

HSC
Cookie182 said:
I guess the only pressure now lies on you- i told myself all year that i would go shit, lucky to push 70 and that i would be estatic with anything over 80. I was also dux, 1st in every subject out of 150+ ppl and ended up pulling a 98 UAI. !
Yeah but deep down you had to have known that you were going to gun the HSC. I mean you would have been consistently getting top grades year round.

How did you go about convincing yourself that you were going to do shit?

Surfs up, brah!!!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
me121 said:
It's quite skewed. It's about 16% of the state who get 90 UAI. 10% get over 95 UAI.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
-Anfernee- said:
Yeah but deep down you had to have known that you were going to gun the HSC. I mean you would have been consistently getting top grades year round.

I play down everything- its the way i like to do it. I did it for uni this semester and ending up getting HD's. Sure, yea i use to ace some tests in high school but as i noted- bottom 200 school. Were talking RELATIVE performance to the state- i had no idea how i was compared to private/selective kids. Maybe i spent too much time on BOS (where ppl can feel very intimidating arund HSC time) but hmm i honestly never expected the UAI i got. In fact, i was stoked as i was sick in the HSC and underperformed considerably i felt.

Meh every1 is diff- i just wasn't a fan of putting expectations on myself and im also not the kind of person that regards myself as anything special/intelligent. But yea, chances are u'll get 90+ but i just feel that personally expecting it adds unwanted pressure.

Surfs up, brah!!!
lol random- in fact, no at the moment its not brah. Its a huge cold front, with gusty SW winds flattening the swell. I surfed yesterday and no joke shrank my balls to the size of a five cent coin- its fuckin freezin.

Last edited:

me121

Premium Member
HSC
lyounamu said:
It's quite skewed. It's about 16% of the state who get 90 UAI. 10% get over 95 UAI.
its probably 16% of the people who get a UAI that get +90. but 10% of the people who did the SC.

shaon0

HSC
Cookie182 said:
1-2 percent would be a fair guess, would at best be no more then 2.5.
IS that why 21 ppl in the state get a 100UAI?...instead of 1 person

bawd

HSC
lyounamu said:
Gee, that's weird.

Where'd you get your statistics from?

rambam92

HSC
Im not sure how many people get around 99+ but if say 65000 people sit the HSC then it is probably somewhere close to 650 people. I think last year there were about 66,000 students sittin the HSC
So its pretty hard - u hav to be in the top 650

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
shaon0 said:
How many ppl get above 99 UAI?
1.6% or thereabout. That's because when you calculate UAI you include people who did SC not HSC. So you have more people who already left school included in the calculation of UAI. That's why the system is skewed. So It's about 10001-1100 people.

shaon0 said:
IS that why 21 ppl in the state get a 100UAI?...instead of 1 person
No. :)

bawd said:
Gee, that's weird.

Where'd you get your statistics from?
I saw it Boardofstudies website. But I don't know where it is now.

Last edited by a moderator:

shaon0

HSC
lyounamu said:
1.6% or thereabout. That's because when you calculate UAI you include people who did SC not HSC. So you have more people who already left school included in the calculation of UAI. That's why the system is skewed. So It's about 10001-1100 people.
Thats a pretty crappy system....Why do they count SC and HSC?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)