How hard is history extension? (1 Viewer)

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
I am doing history extension at the moment, and there isn't too much work. The class is interesting, the work is okay like the reading. I mean its just about history I suppose.
The dilemma is that I have 14 units and I must drop something. I'm choosing between a language course (which I think is more useful, but harder) and hist. extension. I will keep hist. extension if I have the potential to get a good mark

]I am pretty much coming first in all my prelim history subjects, so
will I find history extension straightforward in terms of writing essays, analysing sources?
How much time is the major project? Because I also do Society and culture which has a PIP.
Are the essays hard?
Is the philosophical part difficult?
Is it possible to get the project done in the holidays?l
ike does it require more active research like the PIP, the teacher hasn't really gone in-depth in what it involved, she's just told us to look for ideas.
Do you think it's a worthwhile subject?
What is required to get an E4?

Thanx

edwardf316

HSC
N/A
1) Not at first, but i don't think you're expected to. What you learn is really nothing like Modern/Ancient and for that reason the essays are quite different. That being said though after doing the subject for a bit you'll be able to do practice essays and you'll quickly get a good idea of how to approach the essays

2)If you plan to work on it for 1 or 2 hours a week that will be plenty. But tbh by the time you get into Term 2 you'll probably be working on it more frequently in attempt to get drafts in

3)That's difficult to say. It's certainly harder to get into the A range than it is in a 2 unit subject. However, in the end if your well prepared and have lots of quotes memorised you'll find that its easy to adapt to any question they give you.

4)No. It seems daunting but after you've looked at enough Historians you'll start to form your own ideas about how histories written. Its probably the easiest aspect of the course because its all very subjective

5)No. There is no way you'll have the entire thing done by the time school starts in Term 1. If your exceptionally hardworking you could very possibly have a 1st or 2nd draft done by then though. I can't really comment on how much goes into the PIP because i don't do SAC. But nevertheless the project does involve a lot of research and reading in order to get different perspectives on whatever historiographical issue you have chosen

6)Yes. If you love history as a subject and is something your interested in its definitely worthwhile. It really broadens your outlook onto history as a whole

7)See previous post

Hope this helps :)

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
thanks for your advice. :) It was helpful
So, in general to do well 1- 2 hours is a good amount.
Does this just include the project or does it also include reading from source booklet, widening knowledge about historians, homework etc.. My teacher says that we're expected to read widely, not just from source booklet to get different opinions.

edwardf316

HSC
N/A
thanks for your advice. :) It was helpful
So, in general to do well 1- 2 hours is a good amount.
Does this just include the project or does it also include reading from source booklet, widening knowledge about historians, homework etc.. My teacher says that we're expected to read widely, not just from source booklet to get different opinions.
Just the project, the readings are essentially your homework

Tink

HSC
PIP + History project are easy to manage. Knock your history project over fast. It's not too hard. It's absolutely possible to get it done in the holidays, that was, essentially, what I did. PIP definitely requires more work (primary research etc). Don't leave either project to the last minute, though.

The subject is great, if you love history.

I swear, I don't come to these threads just to talk up extension... :p

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
PIP + History project are easy to manage. Knock your history project over fast. It's not too hard. It's absolutely possible to get it done in the holidays, that was, essentially, what I did. PIP definitely requires more work (primary research etc). Don't leave either project to the last minute, though.

The subject is great, if you love history.

I swear, I don't come to these threads just to talk up extension... :p
That's good to hear. so if you'd pretty much done it in the holidays, when did you have your topic idea and did you start researching from week 2, or 3 of term 4.
Also how did you balance those the two projects, like what were your methods to balance them out and stay on top?

Tink

HSC
That's good to hear. so if you'd pretty much done it in the holidays, when did you have your topic idea and did you start researching from week 2, or 3 of term 4.
Also how did you balance those the two projects, like what were your methods to balance them out and stay on top?
I started researching almost immediately. I'd already had my topic idea in mind going into the course. It really is important to decide something quickly, in order to spend maximum time researching. You don't want to be tossing and turning topics for weeks.

I had three major works; PIP, ext history, and ext 2 English. So it was a bit of a balancing act. Generally, weekends were "Major Work Time". I would spend Saturday doing one project, and Sunday doing another. Weekend nights were devoted to whichever project didn't get the day shift.

Keep track of everything; all your progress, little ideas, everything. Balancing the workload of two majors isn't as difficult as remembering the intricacies of the projects. If you have a PIP title idea, write it down. If you want to change a word in your essay, make a note of it. Journals are your friend. So are your teachers. Harass them. Email them, text message them, ring them, annoy them. My at-school Society teacher (I did DE) was amazingly helpful when it came to all things PIP. Utilise your resources, yo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)