How hard is it finding a job now? (1 Viewer)

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
why are there so many threads about this ffs stop posting on forums use seek/my career etc start calling places HELP YOURSELVES, live forever etc

audioxdoll

HSC
I just dont understand how you cant find a job...
Parents are expecting their younger children (14-15) to start working and not rely on them for money so therefore older people (17+) are finding it harder to get work since the younger people are working earlier and moving their way up through jobs.. at least this is why i think considering my 14 year old sister got her job in a matter of weeks and i havent found anything after months of applying..

greekgun

HSC
pretty easy for you to say since you probably already have a job, retard
Actualy i just got a second job recently...and i have a friend who keeps quiting jobs because he thinks they suck, and then he gets another job somewhere else... so yeah, its not that hard to find a job, retard.

And fyi, work at coles not woolies.

audioxdoll said:
Parents are expecting their younger children (14-15) to start working and not rely on them for money so therefore older people (17+) are finding it harder to get work since the younger people are working earlier and moving their way up through jobs.. at least this is why i think considering my 14 year old sister got her job in a matter of weeks and i havent found anything after months of applying..
True, but this doesnt mean people who are 17+ cant find a job which requires someone a little bit older with abit more life experience.

Last edited:

Rextu

HSC
Bottom line is, employers won't even look at your resume unless they desperately need staff. Even Woolworths, Coles and McDonalds will stop looking at resumes if they don't need any more staff.

What I've noticed with these big employers is that they take advantage of younger persons being paid significantly lower wages, however due to law, cannot sack someone because they are older and hence are entitled to higher wages. This is why during PEAK periods of employment, anyone over the age of 16 is at a disadvantage.

Greekgun, you were employed by Coles when you were 16, which is a good age for them.

This is where a 'spiral of death' starts. The places that employ older people (like 17/18 year olds) such as Glue, G-star, Vodafone etc. won't employ you without a good prior reference. They WILL call them up and ask if they need staff. This system makes it almost impossible to get any job unless you had one earlier. On a personal note, this is why I am against lower wages at younger ages - it destroys the opportunities for older teenagers to get experience in the workplace, effectively creating an employment checkmate.

My recommendation is to volunteer. Volunteer dammit, for every charity you can think of. Get involved in university clubs and societies and milk references from them. It's never going to be as good as formal work experience, but its all you've really got.

greekgun

HSC
Bottom line is, employers won't even look at your resume unless they desperately need staff. Even Woolworths, Coles and McDonalds will stop looking at resumes if they don't need any more staff.

What I've noticed with these big employers is that they take advantage of younger persons being paid significantly lower wages, however due to law, cannot sack someone because they are older and hence are entitled to higher wages. This is why during PEAK periods of employment, anyone over the age of 16 is at a disadvantage.

Greekgun, you were employed by Coles when you were 16, which is a good age for them.

This is where a 'spiral of death' starts. The places that employ older people (like 17/18 year olds) such as Glue, G-star, Vodafone etc. won't employ you without a good prior reference. They WILL call them up and ask if they need staff. This system makes it almost impossible to get any job unless you had one earlier. On a personal note, this is why I am against lower wages at younger ages - it destroys the opportunities for older teenagers to get experience in the workplace, effectively creating an employment checkmate.

My recommendation is to volunteer. Volunteer dammit, for every charity you can think of. Get involved in university clubs and societies and milk references from them. It's never going to be as good as formal work experience, but its all you've really got.
True, but i know my coles store is desperate for older staff to take on supervisor positions, because most of the younger supervisors have no idea what there doing.

But yeah, being younger does give you a better chance of getting a job which doesnt require a qualification...but there are still heaps of places which need people with more life experience. I just got a job at an IT store, I was the oldest one in the group interview (the other kids were like 16). People just need to persist and look around.

audioxdoll

HSC
True, but this doesnt mean people who are 17+ cant find a job which requires someone a little bit older with abit more life experience.
Obviously, but it is alot harder which is what the point of this thread is. Not that there arent any jobs (of course there are!) just that there are few of them making it difficult for 17+ people to get hired.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Obviously, but it is alot harder which is what the point of this thread is. Not that there arent any jobs (of course there are!) just that there are few of them making it difficult for 17+ people to get hired.
Anyone who lives in a remotely urban area doesn't get it.

Where I am, you need experience, yet no-one is willing to teach. If you're over 18 you're not gonna get a job cause some kid can take it (same work, less money). If you're 25, you're considered "too old" to start a new job. If you've been a Job Seeker with Centrelink, employers don't like that.

I've applied for no-brainer jobs, anything from cleaning and McDonalds to I.T. service desk and Audio work. Not. One. Expression. Of. Interest.

I'm unemployable in this area, which is why if I haven't found work in 6 months, I'm moving to Melbourne and living with Dad for a while.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I dont mind going to the city to work, just no one give a fuck.

harley.smithers

HSC
even if you have a job right now, its almost impossible to actually get any work. on casual staffing, you're lucky to get one shift every couple of weeks. btw, this is big w, not some small company.

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
i moved to newastle and my crappy work (coles) wouldnt even give me a transfer even though i've been a perfect employee for three years...so panicked right now

HSC
N/A
just got news that i might be able to score a job! :D :D

the "word" around lansvale hotel was that it was easy to get a job as a waitress there. so i asked my sister's husband to ask and see if i could get a job.

so now i was told i just have to ring in, talk to the head waiter, he'll set up a trial night for me to work (paid trial of course :) ) and then he'll roster me on or not from there.

well its something at least!

ABOUT TIME!

fjgkdkghskhfkdhgsdjkgh

jaredtomas

HSC
Yeah, I've been looking for a new job for months now. Been applying for at least a few a week and haven't even got one call back.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Yeah, I've been looking for a new job for months now. Been applying for at least a few a week and haven't even got one call back.
Try 18 months.

I've made up my mind. In 6 months, if my situation hasn't changed, I'm moving to Melbourne and mooching off Dad for a few weeks. Find a job and live there. This shit hole has given me too much grief.

audioxdoll

HSC
even if you have a job right now, its almost impossible to actually get any work. on casual staffing, you're lucky to get one shift every couple of weeks. btw, this is big w, not some small company.
Another worry for the successful few who manage to get employed.

Ive applied for a few jobs listed on the woolies site in and around my suburb (ive heard woolies is a lot more reliable when it comes to online applications than coles)
The jobs have now been taken off the listing so hopefully i will hear SOMETHING back. Thats what i think the worst part is..... ZERO RESPONSE, its quite depressing. And they say gen y do nothing... you people just wont hire us! :mad1:

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I reeeeally hate it how most places don't even acknowledge that you applied.

No form letter that says "Sorry, no positions available" or "Sorry, you're not what we're looking for". Nothing at all.

boganxcore

HSC
I reeeeally hate it how most places don't even acknowledge that you applied.

No form letter that says "Sorry, no positions available" or "Sorry, you're not what we're looking for". Nothing at all.
i know hey
i'd actually appreciate it if they were like 'thanks for the application' or 'sorry' or whatever. but i havent received any acknowledgement at all :mad1:

Kiim2507

HSC
I don't think it's that hard to find a job if you'll take anything

My work always seems to be looking for staff and althought they do mostly hire younger people they need staff who can work during the day as well. If you have uni 5 days a week then you're pretty much screwed unless you can find a job at a restaurant/bar/club in which case get your RSA and RCG.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)