how hard is it to get 95? (1 Viewer)

kenkap

HSC
what raw mark do you need to get 95 in physics and chemistry?? and how hard is it??

deswa1

HSC
How hard a 95 is depends frankly on how good you are. 95 isn't a joke of a mark- if you are very solid in your phys and chem, then it is very achievable. If you're a bit shaky, than it is a very hard mark to get- it all depends on you. You can probs tell if you're 95 material by looking at your school rank (though I know some schools set retarded tests so that might not be valid) but in a general sense, if you're coming 3rd in chem at a school ranked 100, then you won't get 95 (as politically incorrect as that sounds)

deswa4

HSC
N/A
How hard a 95 is depends frankly on how good you are. 95 isn't a joke of a mark- if you are very solid in your phys and chem, then it is very achievable. If you're a bit shaky, than it is a very hard mark to get- it all depends on you. You can probs tell if you're 95 material by looking at your school rank (though I know some schools set retarded tests so that might not be valid) but in a general sense, if you're coming 3rd in chem at a school ranked 100, then you won't get 95 (as politically incorrect as that sounds)
You are my hero <3 You speak (lol type) with such confidence.

enoilgam

HSC
There isnt anything politically incorrect there - if you want a high mark and dont go to a high ranked school, then you need to be relatively on top. If you think about it, the guy coming 3rd at the rank 100 school would probably be ranked lower at a selective school. There are always exceptions though.

kenkap

HSC
i am ranked 1st in a school ranked in 350s..lol how about that?

deswa1

HSC
i am ranked 1st in a school ranked in 350s..lol how about that?
Maybe- it'll all come down to you personally. Like 1st at a school in the 350's could be a high B5 candidate or a state ranker. How do you feel with all the concepts and stuff? If you feel like you get it all and can articulate a nice answer, then defs, 95 is very achievable. Good luck :)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, at low ranked schools, it becomes a case by case basis. It's not a one size fits all estimate at those school ranges. 95 can require raw marks into the 90s (89 raw got 94 exam mark).

RishBonjour

HSC
Yep, for low ranked schools, its all up to you. Mine is ranked 125 this year (was like 200 last year) and highest in phy was 96 so definitely not bad. But generally speaking, as others said, only if you are solid you will get around that mark. (by solid, I don't necessarily mean "good at physics" - you could work extremely hard and check marking guidelines etc, will help)

Keelan134

HSC
Yep, for low ranked schools, its all up to you. Mine is ranked 125 this year (was like 200 last year) and highest in phy was 96 so definitely not bad. But generally speaking, as others said, only if you are solid you will get around that mark. (by solid, I don't necessarily mean "good at physics" - you could work extremely hard and check marking guidelines etc, will help)
Where can I get these rankings, is it a complete listing?

braintic

HSC
N/A
what raw mark do you need to get 95 in physics and chemistry?? and how hard is it??
Don't know about raw marks, but in the 2011 HSC you needed to be roughly at the 98.5th percentile in Physics and the 99th percentile in Chemistry to score a mark of 95.

deswa1

HSC
Oh I can actually answer the question now, in 2012, a raw mark of 86 was a 95 exam mark in Chem and a raw mark of 90 was a 96 in phys so say around 87 or 88 there.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, but don't underestimate the difficulty of getting 95 in physics and chemistry - it's not just about being good at physics and chemistry (you need to be a decent writer too). I was able to write a decent answer for everything but you need to take the marking scheme into account. Some people are very good at both (like deswa1).

I got 92 and 93 in the chemistry and physics exams respectively, if that helps you put things into perspective.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)