How hard is the final exam? (1 Viewer)

BadMeetsEvil

HSC
N/A
With uni going by very fast and lecturers blitzing through their slides in the lectures, how hard is the final exam going to be? Is it harder than HSC?
I'm doing Math1131, Engg1000, Engg1811 and Phys1121
plus people say that those who study their ass of during uni will generally get D and HD... well I've been studying my ass off but I barely understand most of the contents in maths and physics. I don't even think I can even reach a pass. Help anyone!?
thanks

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Although I come from USYD, I can imagine UNSW to be quite the same.

The final exams (for Mathematics at leas) tend to be VERY difficult and most students will not have enough time to complete the whole paper properly.

Regarding the comparison to the HSC, of course it will be more difficult than the HSC.

HOWEVER, this could also be because you have a Semester to learn all these new things, as opposed to 2 Years like in the HSC (including Prelim). So it may SEEM to be more difficult because you are learning something and being examined on it fully in a shorter time-span, but the questions may not be as difficult relatively.

But overall and realistically: Yes, it will be difficult. Prepare for a bit of a beating (if you are having trouble keeping up at this stage).

halapenyo

HSC
supposedly engineering its harder to get ds and hds. so just keep working hard and dont be discouraged by the tough nature of the work.

BadMeetsEvil

HSC
N/A
well all I can say is... Fuck! I was aiming for a D avg... I guess a Cred avg is good enough for Engineering.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
well all I can say is... Fuck! I was aiming for a D avg... I guess a Cred avg is good enough for Engineering.
A D average is within grasp if you really put your mind to it. Hell, even a HD is within grasp.

BadMeetsEvil

HSC
N/A
yeah, ive been putting in work for my subs... sleeping late night to study. still don't understand shit. should i focus on the lecture notes or the problem solving homework they gave us for maths and physics? so basically, im asking should i focus on the information side (writing) or the calculation side of it...

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Doesn't UNSW have some sort of help-class? USYD has the Mathematics Learning Centre.

Also, I think your lecturers also have consultation hours.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Math 1131 is pretty easy if you did 4 unit or you did well in 3unit or if you're working consistently, physics is really hard but they mark very generously, engg1811 get's tricky with the programming and ENGG1000 LOL

and there is maths help, level 3 red center and physics help as well next to the 1st year lab

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Math 1131 is pretty easy if you did 4 unit or you did well in 3unit or if you're working consistently, physics is really hard but they mark very generously, engg1811 get's tricky with the programming and ENGG1000 LOL
But according to his sig, he only did 2U.

Best of luck for you.

BadMeetsEvil

HSC
N/A
yeah i got 88 for 2u... so struggling with complex numbers atm... as well as calculus

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
it is tough if you just did 2unit.
For MATH1131 as long as you can do the basic questions in each topic you'll be fine. But you have to make sure you can do this.
The questions you get won't be very hard, it's more about testing your knowledge on each topic you learnt.
Do the questions in the book + past papers and you should be fine. If not, you can always ask for help, either your tutor/lecturers/SSS

PHYS1121 is kinda annoying. I can't really help you there. But most people (everyone) struggles with physics, so you're not alone.
ENGG1811, the programming gets tough, but just make sure you understand each lab and you can do the questions.
the assignments can be time consuming and a bit annoying at times but persevere :)
ENGG1000 is generally seen as easy, so I hope you're fine with that.

imo, D avg for first year engineering isn't too bad, it's not even really engineering yet, basically just science. just maths/phys/comp/electives

qwerty44

HSC
How do you know what to study for in uni. In high school, before every exam exam your are told what part of the syllabus is being tested, but in uni i got told "it's just everything you have done so far"? Is there a sort of syllabus-like thing for uni????

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
How do you know what to study for in uni. In high school, before every exam exam your are told what part of the syllabus is being tested, but in uni i got told "it's just everything you have done so far"? Is there a sort of syllabus-like thing for uni????
and the lecturer tells you the topics/content a lot of the time

HSC
N/A
For first year maths just do heaps of past papers. Your lecturers will probably give you some idea of what things are likely to appear on exams (especially in the last lecture). As timothy.s said, lots of the 1131 questions are pretty close to the [R] questions in the problems, so if you know how to do those problems at all they won't be too hard. The hard bit is that they cover quite a lot quite quickly, so if you get behind, there is a lot to learn in a hurry at the end of the session.

And make sure that you get as many marks as possible on the class tests and maple, as those are easier than the final.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
For first year maths, my tip to success is do your tutorial questions. Do all of them or most of them (representatively) and... you'll really do fine. All you need to do is just one or two past papers just to get a feel of the sorts of questions but if you do that, you'll be on the way to an HD average.

Obviously you'll have to have some talent at maths, but effort goes a long way. Thing is, you'll end up getting a mark you deserve.

TheStallion

HSC
All the videos for first year maths are online too, there's seriously no excuse for failing/getting a low mark when every single lecture is on Youtube for you to play back at your leisure. They even go through past papers and shit.

halapenyo

HSC
All the videos for first year maths are online too, there's seriously no excuse for failing/getting a low mark when every single lecture is on Youtube for you to play back at your leisure. They even go through past papers and shit.
even for math1151?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)