How Hard Is University? (2 Viewers)

HSC
Is Uni "hard" in general?

"Harder" than the HSC?

Which types of degrees would you classify as "difficult" or "hard"?

Would I be surprised at how 'hard' or 'easy' Uni actually is?

Just curious about the level of difficulty in tertiary education....

Thanks.

:rofl:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Depends on what marks you are aiming for.

I personally think it's a bit harder than HSC if you're aiming high. The lecture/tutorial set up is a lot less interactive than a classroom environment, so you basically have to work on your own most of the time.

If you're just aiming for a pass, then there isn't as much effort required but keep in mind most people want to do better than just pass.

rcr4fags

HSC
N/A
depends how smart you are, what your aptitude are.

some people can look at math problem and solve them easily, some people can remember facts real good, and then you get the people who shouldnt be at uni at all. and you do find a lot of them,

i know some people who study thier ass off. 4 hours a day, attend every lecture, get extra tutoring and only get bare Passes and fails.

I only did 2 weeks of cramming/study before the exam and got Crs, DN and HD's

one subject i did 1 day study i got a HD

and then there are people who did what i did and ended up failing.

Last edited:

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
well it i guess also will depend on the threshold uai for your course. if you get well above the cutoff, you are more likely to do better than those who scraped into the course.

this is the notion that you would be just below average or average if you scrape in, after considering those who may have gotten below the published cutoff.

skyline

Proud Aurion TRD owner
HSC
N/A
wrong_turn said:
well it i guess also will depend on the threshold uai for your course. if you get well above the cutoff, you are more likely to do better than those who scraped into the course.

this is the notion that you would be just below average or average if you scrape in, after considering those who may have gotten below the published cutoff.

well your half right, but then i know people who achieved in the high 90's and are doing poorly at uni, and yes they are failing and tend to drop out after the first year, then you got people who do shit in the hsc, but then change all of that and do really really well in uni getting distinctions and high distinctions.

uni isn't hard, when you put in the time and effort you can pass easily and earn much better then a pass, it does get challenging at some occasions, but these can be resolved, i believe uni is more helpful then school was, i mean, i remember back at hsc, teachers weren't that easy to access, always having staff meetings and crap, but at uni, i just rock up to the lecturers office and ask for help and they are willing to help me out, and if they are say busy, they have such a thing called consultation times, which are also very handy, they do lots of revision sessions and tutorials, so pretty much your up to date with it all, provided you are punctual and rock up to your uni classes all of the time, people that dont attend most of thier classes usually fail, very rare do they pass, so having saying all this, the uni lecturers i reckon are more friendly then teachers, more helpful, and really do know how to explain stuff properly, unlike teachers, they use to make you think and figure it out most of the time, where as the uni lecturers these days literally spoon feed students to encourage them to do well and hence pass, if they dont meet the students needs, it gives the lecturers a bad reputation, wheras teachers couldnt give a shit if you pass/fail, in uni there is certain threshold thats established to determine how many students need to pass, anyway, i think i said enough to give you first year students who are about to start uni what it is like, and believe me it aint no harder then the hsc, uni is much more stress free, till final exams come up ofcourse, then everything changes :lol:.

cheers.

C

Chrisssss

skyline said:
well your half right, but then i know people who achieved in the high 90's and are doing poorly at uni, and yes they are failing and tend to drop out after the first year, then you got people who do shit in the hsc, but then change all of that and do really really well in uni getting distinctions and high distinctions.

uni isn't hard, when you put in the time and effort you can pass easily and earn much better then a pass, it does get challenging at some occasions, but these can be resolved, i believe uni is more helpful then school was, i mean, i remember back at hsc, teachers weren't that easy to access, always having staff meetings and crap, but at uni, i just rock up to the lecturers office and ask for help and they are willing to help me out, and if they are say busy, they have such a thing called consultation times, which are also very handy, they do lots of revision sessions and tutorials, so pretty much your up to date with it all, provided you are punctual and rock up to your uni classes all of the time, people that dont attend most of thier classes usually fail, very rare do they pass, so having saying all this, the uni lecturers i reckon are more friendly then teachers, more helpful, and really do know how to explain stuff properly, unlike teachers, they use to make you think and figure it out most of the time, where as the uni lecturers these days literally spoon feed students to encourage them to do well and hence pass, if they dont meet the students needs, it gives the lecturers a bad reputation, wheras teachers couldnt give a shit if you pass/fail, in uni there is certain threshold thats established to determine how many students need to pass, anyway, i think i said enough to give you first year students who are about to start uni what it is like, and believe me it aint no harder then the hsc, uni is much more stress free, till final exams come up ofcourse, then everything changes :lol:.

cheers.
Thanks, that was pretty helpful. What course are you doing at what uni by the way?

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Exphate said:
lol.

Just. Lol.
I know it would be a few years until I get into a university but I just have one question about it. Is there any sort of scaling in it?

HSC
Thanks for the info guys.

As for me, I'm really just aiming to pass my first year in uni. Like I'll do my best etc, but I'm always keeping in mind that all I need to do is pass.

Cheers :)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Im doing a summer school course atm and its very difficult, much more so than what i experienced in high school, if that's any help...

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
For whatever it's worth from someone still in high school, I imagine Uni to be less hard, mainly because when I'm at Uni, I will not be stressing over getting a band 6, or "high destinction", rather I will be content in passing the course. Unless I want to be offered honors or a scholarship overseas, in which case I would aim high.

icecoffee

HSC
-may-cat- said:
Im doing a summer school course atm and its very difficult, much more so than what i experienced in high school, if that's any help...
What course are you doing?

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
This is one of those how long is a piece of string questions.

Uni is hard. Period. How much harder depends on your attitude and ability. If you only wish to pass every unit, it shouldn't be too hard theoretically but then you probably won't attend lectures and study and then it gets tough. Or if you want good marks, you will have to study and attend work hard. But you will feel more satisfied. Thats my experience anyway.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
I think its also to do with how you manage your time. If you put in a little bit after every day at uni going over what you did, do a few sums/questions and come up with some more questions to ask later, then you'll be less stressed towards the middle and end of the semester.

There are 2 extreme points of stress that exist in my view.
1) assignment crushes. It starts off small and before you know it, it becomes a lot of work to do. They always tell you to start early, try not to ignore it.

2) Exam stress. This isn't new to anybody, but to someone who hasn't been putting in a decent effort throughout the semester, will find themselves in real deep shit

that bloke

HSC
If you are good at cramming, uni can be a breeze. I've been rolling in distinctions and credits and attending maybe about a 1/4 of my lectures. But not everyone can cram so well. The only thing that makes uni hard for me is my own laziness when it comes to study and assignments, the work itself is rather easy.
It's also wise to remember than you aren't actually at uni just to PASS. You are there to become proficient and learn the fundamentals of your chosen profession. Yeah, some prerequisite units you have to do are rather vague and useless, but it's no good walking away with your degree and realising you actually remember sweet F-all of anything. Excess cramming will result in this...

T

Troy2287

I don't like the idea of all the presentations...I've never been good in front of an audience :(

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Mmm, it's really long... and so hard... oh yeah...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)