• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How important is hand writting? (1 Viewer)

Tarahd

HSC

How much does the "presentation" of work matter to a marker??
My hand writting is APPALLING
I wrote neat for one essay and got 14/15...
Teachers say it doesnt matter
BUT I FEEL IT DOES after my yr 11 yearly!!

What do you guys think?
Just be resonable when writting?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I've been told that messy writing is fine, as long as it's NOT small. So try to write big.

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
Remember, quality not quantity.

Handwriting may also influence most markers' (I was told that each paper will go through 2/3 markers to avoid bias) mood when marking your exam especially english.

One more thing, I think it is an advantage to have a messy but readable handwriting because some markers may fill you in if they can't read your works. Of course some may not. However, from all standard packages (mainly band 5/6 and exemplar samples) I have checked, I can't read a few words in their English essays and force me to interpret it my own way which make those essays seem really good. And also messy but readable handwriting can help you in avoiding being markdown for misspeling words because the markers (who must be teaching that subject) would know from experience what words you are writing and they can't be bothered to read your messy handwriting thus they may miss your spelling.

Sadly my handwriting is just too neat...:(

Riviet said:
I've been told that messy writing is fine, as long as it's NOT small. So try to write big.
Are you sure? I have small (and fast) but very neat handwriting (very readable - like 9 Times New Roman font), is that ok?

P

pLuvia

If it's legible it's fine. Your paper goes through 2 -3 markers as XcarvengerX pointed out, so one of them is bound to be able to read some of the words :p

Last edited by a moderator:

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
XcarvengerX said:
One more thing, I think it is an advantage to have a messy but readable handwriting because some markers may fill you in if they can't read your works. Of course some may not. However, from all standard packages (mainly band 5/6 and exemplar samples) I have checked, I can't read a few words in their English essays and force me to interpret it my own way which make those essays seem really good. And also messy but readable handwriting can help you in avoiding being markdown for misspeling words because the markers (who must be teaching that subject) would know from experience what words you are writing and they can't be bothered to read your messy handwriting thus they may miss your spelling.
haha, yeah sometimes I write words that I can't spell in a way that'd kinda disguise the mistake.... you can get away with it sometimes.

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
i think my messy rushed writing looks very teacherish, which im hoping is a good thing.

also having the markers spend another few seconds carefully reading your essay might get you another mark or two

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
From a marker - legible handwriting is all we ask for - messy or neat doesn't matter.

Remember that we are expected to mark about 12 - 15 essays an hour in Modern History (I think English is 10 - 12 due to having to check spelling and grammar a bit more - this is what I have been told by friends who mark English not personal experience so is second hand information).

I have had my Senior Marker tell me not to waste time on hard to read essays as the marking rate has to be maintained.

The BOS has a budget for the marking process and really don't want subjects going over time. They work out the budget based on number of students and therefore number of essays and divide that by the 4 - 5 minutes per essays.

We mark what we can read and try to work out the odd word. Really illegible essays are marked down due to being too hard to read.

I have read on here where students whose essays are illegible have been called in to read their essays to the markers but that has not been my experience not that of any marker that I have mentioned this to - including my previous and currect Supervisor of Marking (who laughed at the suggestion - asking who pays, especially if the student in question comes from overseas).

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Our Deputy Principle actually supervises HSC English marking for one team on alternate years. But he definitely clarified the matter of having clear handwriting - If say a stranger next to you (student of course!) can't read your writing or is struggling, then improve your writing.

Amusingly, there was a student in our class who kept writing small and un-neat handwriting, and although our school did have the policy of being marked by at least 2 teachers, this guy was only marked by our teacher....who always gave A+

Urgh, its annoying to think of it. I hate subjective teachers.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
I reckon it's good to write with a bit of illegibility, just not too small. This forces the marker to slow down and actually read what you have to write instead of merely skimming through the essay, giving the marker a subconscious illusion that your essay is longer than others. If you're an eloquent writer, this is an advantage if every word is read (vice versa if you're not).

That's just my theory anyway. My hsc essays were practically illegible and the marks were quite good.

Main thing is this though: if your writing is becoming illegible in the middle of a HSC exam, DON'T slow down just to make it legible.

Last edited:

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
Tarahd said:

How much does the "presentation" of work matter to a marker??
My hand writting is APPALLING
I wrote neat for one essay and got 14/15...
Teachers say it doesnt matter
BUT I FEEL IT DOES after my yr 11 yearly!!

What do you guys think?
Just be resonable when writting?
Spelling and grammar are heaps more important than handwriting :p

Technically you aren't marked on spelling and grammar, but if you submit an essay full of errors it seems to the marker like you're uneducated, lazy, and just don't care.

sami89

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
my writing is horrible :( its' worse when i'm under pressure! i feel so sorry for my teachers who've had to mark my enmglish essays... i'm trying to improve but it just seems to be getting worse!!!

nahian

HSC
I have been told from EVERY teacher that illegible handwriting constitutes a lower mark on almost every occasion...it gives them the impression that the response is incoherent and unorganised

handwriting doesnt really matter as long as it can be read
BUT
messy shit is never better

Tarahd

HSC
Well I don't think i'm going to worry to much about my handwritting...
As most stated it doesn't have a huge impact upon the marker and at times may bw quite beneficial.
So I'm pretty happy considering my messing writting may disguise MY SUPER BAD SPELLING
:)

Cheers

Tarahd

HSC
Well I don't think i'm going to worry to much about my handwritting...
As most stated it doesn't have a huge impact upon the marker and at times may bw quite beneficial.
So I'm pretty happy considering my messing writting may disguise MY SUPER BAD SPELLING
:)

Cheers

k8kate

Class of 06
HSC
My handwriting tends to get better in exams :/
Depends on the pen actually.
My teachers told me in yr 11 that Id better improve my handwriting or else. Just try to focus on making it legible in the exam... write big too.
Spelling is pretty important too, so its 'handwriting' not 'hand writting'. Sorry.

Sleiphnir

HSC
N/A
I'd say handwriting is important - keep it legible and big. You've got the space so use it. The harder an essay is to read will detract from a markers ability to maintain the flow of the essay and be able to understand it - meaning they'll find it hard to understand the essay as a whole when they're agonising over every single word and it will get marked down.
I have to use a laptop because my writing is that appalling (and a case of dysgraphia due to fine motor control doesn't help). In year eleven, my teachers all pounced on it and made me get the exemption thingys. If you're in year eleven and your have time and really really bad handwriting - just get the exemptions and practice typing like there's no tomorrow. I can type 2000 words in 50 minutes that's a good amount for an essay and believe me - using a laptop is a hell of a lot easier in exams (except when those around you thump at the keys - gah). I actually failed an assessment task in year 11 because my teacher couldn't read it - don't let that be a possibility for the hsc - practice writing as much as possible. Write out notes, essays, everything.

Good luck =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)