how important is the combination of % and marks? (1 Viewer)

sardonicerrors

its do or die this year.
HSC
As said above, exactly how much does our rank affect the ATAR?

it would be hard to judge how well you're doing if you're only in an insanely small class of 3 (which is my history ext. class) or even one?

how do rankings come into play there? and, in essence, how much do your raw marks account for in your ATAR?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
As said above, exactly how much does our rank affect the ATAR?

it would be hard to judge how well you're doing if you're only in an insanely small class of 3 (which is my history ext. class) or even one?

how do rankings come into play there? and, in essence, how much do your raw marks account for in your ATAR?
In a one person class their exam mark becomes their assessment mark. In two people classes it works the same as normal unless the marks sent in have too great or too small a gap when compared to the exam e.g. school sends in marks 2 apart but the exam has them 20 apart, then they are treated the same as other outliers.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
In a one person class their exam mark becomes their assessment mark. In two people classes it works the same as normal unless the marks sent in have too great or too small a gap when compared to the exam e.g. school sends in marks 2 apart but the exam has them 20 apart, then they are treated the same as other outliers.
I've heard there's some sort of special policy for classes with 1-2 people - of course there's no official source for that.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I've heard there's some sort of special policy for classes with 1-2 people - of course there's no official source for that.
My information comes from having taught that size class on a number of occassions - the single student's exam mark has always become the assessment mark and the classes of two have been the same as any other class - top exam mark became top assessment mark and bottom exam mark has become the bottom assessment mark, except for the year when I sent the marks in 4 marks apart but the exam marks were 15 marks apart. In that case the second student kept their exam mark but their assessment mark was raised to being 5 marks below first.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
My information comes from having taught that size class on a number of occassions - the single student's exam mark has always become the assessment mark and the classes of two have been the same as any other class - top exam mark became top assessment mark and bottom exam mark has become the bottom assessment mark, except for the year when I sent the marks in 4 marks apart but the exam marks were 15 marks apart. In that case the second student kept their exam mark but their assessment mark was raised to being 5 marks below first.
That makes sense then, although at least in the case of a single-person class it seems slightly unfair.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
That makes sense then, although at least in the case of a single-person class it seems slightly unfair.
It can be. I had one student who did very well in class and was getting about 85% from me. Normally that would see the student end up with high Band 5 low Band 6 but he had an off day in the exam and only got 74 for his exam - so 74 all up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)