How is ATAR alculated? (1 Viewer)

tsdylan

HSC
Can someone please explain to me how you ATAR is calculated whether it is rank based or HSC mark based? Thanks

madharris

HSC
N/A
Say you come 3rd in all of your subjects

Your assessment mark will be based on your rank (3rd in this case). So you will get the exam mark of the person who came 3rd as your assessment mark for all of your subjects.

You then have your exam mark

These two marks are averaged together and this is your HSC mark

So once you have the HSC marks of all 10 of your units, say: 90, 90, 90, 90 and 90
This is where scaling comes in and contributes to your aggregate (a mark out of 500)
Even though, you get 90 in all your subjects, the higher scaling subjects subjects will contribute more to your aggregate than the lower scaling ones

Once they get everyone's aggregate, the compare each of them and give you your atar, based on how you compared to everyone else

jarrodoliver1

HSC
Say you come 3rd in all of your subjects

Your assessment mark will be based on your rank (3rd in this case). So you will get the exam mark of the person who came 3rd as your assessment mark for all of your subjects.

You then have your exam mark

These two marks are averaged together and this is your HSC mark

So once you have the HSC marks of all 10 of your units, say: 90, 90, 90, 90 and 90
This is where scaling comes in and contributes to your aggregate (a mark out of 500)
Even though, you get 90 in all your subjects, the higher scaling subjects subjects will contribute more to your aggregate than the lower scaling ones

Once they get everyone's aggregate, the compare each of them and give you your atar, based on how you compared to everyone else
Very well said, except you don't always get their exam mark as your assessment mark unless you are ranked first or last. Generally, it is quite close to that mark but plugged into a formula to form a graph, which your mark is then derived from ;)

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
It's both.

50% assessment mark (i.e. your personal rank at school which is calculated by moderating your exam mark and aligning it with the rest of the state) and 50% exam mark (how you personally performed in the HSC exam itself)

madharris

HSC
N/A
Very well said, except you don't always get their exam mark as your assessment mark unless you are ranked first or last. Generally, it is quite close to that mark but plugged into a formula to form a graph, which your mark is then derived from ;)
It's more or less, depending on the difference between marks :p
But i thought that would get confusing

jarrodoliver1

HSC
It's more or less, depending on the difference between marks :p
But i thought that would get confusing
So so happy that i understand how the HSC works, especially this year been my HSC. So many people i know struggle to understand it. Regardless, you said it well, all the best with university :).

Hopefully i'll be seeing you next year at Usyd ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)