• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How long do you predict until Blu-Ray will 'take over'? (2 Viewers)

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Nah RedRay.

Cookie to whoever gets the reference.
We've been using "RedRay" for quite a while for DVDs.

DVD lasers have a wavelength of 650nm, which is red on the visible electromagnetic radiation spectrum.

However Blu-Ray lasers have a wavelength of 405nm, which is blue on the visible electromagnetic radiation spectrum, hence its name.

hey does i win????? :confused:

omfg cant wait for UV-Rays.
but dey r at solariums by tenny poopers want tans coz sun isnt enuf!

russs

yeeeee
HSC
There isn't enough advantage over DVD.
DVD's were a big jump in space from CD's. Blue-ray is the same. DVD's will be slowly phased out.

Somehow, I think that the USB thumbdrives / fast internet & USB/firewire drives are creating a problem for this type of media. When I was switching from CD's to DVD's, the DVD's were the choice for mass storage and backups. Now, blue-ray I consider quite pointless as a storage media unless it becomes very cheap. Hence, I don't see blue-ray being used for anything other than pre-packed games, movies etc.

waza_

HSC
Nah RedRay.

Cookie to whoever gets the reference.

RedRay as in reference to the RED camera?

If so, you are now my favourite person on this forum haha

Back on topic:
If Blu-Ray does take over DVD it will take a while because not many people REALLY notice the quality difference. Meaning that everyone does notice that there is a quality difference between DVD and Blu-Ray but if you understand the technology behind Blu-Ray and know the comparison to it and the DVD you will enjoy it so much more. That is just my input anyways

Edit: woops didn't realise this was a bump!

Last edited:

SDES

MUP DA DOO BIX NOOD
HSC
There's no piracy scene for BDs yet. I'd imagine the files would be a bit huge for pirates to handle.

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
Are you retarded there is a huge scene for pirated HD movies and BRRips

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
Never going to take over.

People are switching to hard drives and media centers so they can easily play pirated media and can browse their entire library without the hassle of changing disks or having to store piles of these disks.

These over priced disks are a very unattractive option to even the most remotely tech savvy person.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)