How many days are typically spent at uni? (1 Viewer)

emilios

HSC
Is the average 3 or 4 days a week? I know it varies depending on the degree (I heard med and engo degrees are 5 days a week). I plan on studying combined Actuarial Studies at UNSW. Just need to know cos of part-time work.

If anyone could comment their degree and the days spent at uni that would be appreciated.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Computer Science:

Sem1: 4 days
Sem2: 4 days
Sem3: 1 day

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I guess it depends on how you organise your timetable, some people could organise their timetable so that even if they had five days of uni a week, they can not go on one or two days because there is only one or two lecture on that day and they can catch up online.

Degree: Combined degree of Law and Science majoring in Chemistry
Days: 5 days(both for semester 1 and semester 2)-although I could technically have managed 4 in semester 2 but couldn't due to poor timetabling skills:)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Keep in mind that with niche degrees, there's less flexibility with classes because the cohort size will be lower.

Of course, this depends on the units you choose for each semester.

mreditor16

HSC
According to RoT, if you do an actuarial double degree at UNSW (e.g. B Actl with B Comm at UNSW) and if you're smart with timetabling, you will have uni 3 days a week in first year.

Last edited:

D94

HSC
N/A
It all depends on the timetabling of classes. Typically 3 days for Actuarial Studies, but I know the 2 first year maths courses will have more hours than the 'business school' courses, so it's possible you might have a 4 day timetable.

mreditor16

HSC
It all depends on the timetabling of classes. Typically 3 days for Actuarial Studies, but I know the 2 first year maths courses will have more hours than the 'business school' courses, so it's possible you might have a 4 day timetable.
Are you referring to double degree combos that include B Actl? Or are you talking about B Actl by itself?

D94

HSC
N/A
Are you referring to double degree combos that include B Actl? Or are you talking about B Actl by itself?
Doesn't matter. Most, if not all, UNSW Business School courses are 3 hours per week, but the maths courses that Actuarial Studies students must take are 6 hours per week. So it's around 15 hours per week in first year, which should be around 3 days, but maths tutorials might force it to 4 days.

kast

HSC
Uni Grad
Science + Arts double degree. I'm only counting the days I had to go in for pracs/tutes, because I watch all lectures online.

Sem 1 of first year: 3 days a week (doing 4 units).
Sem 2 - managed to have only 1 day (doing 3 units). Got in early and organised my timetable well. ;)

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Keep in mind that with niche degrees, there's less flexibility with classes because the cohort size will be lower.

Of course, this depends on the units you choose for each semester.
true. My course only has 50 people in first year and thus there is zero flexibility with classes. Heck the lectures aren't even recorded so you can't skip

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Doesn't matter. Most, if not all, UNSW Business School courses are 3 hours per week, but the maths courses that Actuarial Studies students must take are 6 hours per week. So it's around 15 hours per week in first year, which should be around 3 days, but maths tutorials might force it to 4 days.
Wait, can you explain this more? Wouldn't doing a double degree with something like Engineering OR Science (assuming you can do that) increase the number of hours spent on campus just because that's how those kinds of degrees are?

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Just wanna ask you guys something

For 1st year students, would you most probably get +25hr a week timetable ?

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Double degree - Arts/Masters of Nursing USYD (4 years)?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Anyone know about comb. sci/comm? How many days/hours?
What do you plan to major in for science? Your major can determine to some extent how many days you spend at uni, and some people might choose to skip a day with a one hour or two hour recorded lecture, so it does depend to some extent how 'dedicated' you are to your timetable, but I would say in general it would be 4.

D94

HSC
N/A
Wait, can you explain this more? Wouldn't doing a double degree with something like Engineering OR Science (assuming you can do that) increase the number of hours spent on campus just because that's how those kinds of degrees are?
Maybe. It's not the degree that dictates how many hours are spent at uni, but rather the courses (subjects/units) that matter. You could be doing a double degree, but if you only choose courses that are from the degree with inherently lesser hours, then you obviously won't have many hours. I've done engineering courses with just 3 hours per week, but I've also done engineering courses with 7 hours per week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)