How many hours of co-corricular is everyone doing? (1 Viewer)

talisman

HSC
Right now, I do about 7-8 hours of co-corricular a week, I'm not doing, I might if I continue like this next year.

Most Year 12's I've come across have no co-corricular, seems unhealthy but I guess you could have other outlets like just having general fitness?

madharris

HSC
N/A
I'm in year 12 this year and I do 8 hours of music and sport (before and after school)

I just enjoy it... and I think it helps me to become less stressed

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
It varies depending on the time of year.

I normally do at least 4 hours, but some weeks I think it'd be about 10 hours.

I tried to cut back my extracurriculars because I didn't think I'd have time. But they found a way back into my life. I volunteer, dance, debate, do public speaking and have prefect duties too! And to top it off, I'm actually going away before trials. So hopefully my time management works out ;)

But honestly, there is still some time for extracurriculars in yr 12, you can't be studying all the time, it's really unhealthy.

Aysce

HSC
Probs in a week around 4 hours just for general fitness ie. Weights, calisthenics and only like 2 hours swimming. So around 6 hours a week?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I personally cut down my extra curricular quite a lot in year 12 to just the ones which were ad-hoc and didn't require continuous ongoing commitment (e.g. red shield appeal).

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Year 10 - Saturday sports + Table tennis + Clarinet + Library volunteering = Approximately 5 hours a week.

talisman

HSC
Year 10 - Saturday sports + Table tennis + Clarinet + Library volunteering = Approximately 5 hours a week.
JEALOUS you're in year 10. you're prohibited from being stressed about anything in life

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I would still recommend continuing some extracurricular activities during Year 12 as they will do wonders for you when you're are looking for a job after graduate.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
There's no reason to really prune back much in Yr 11. I got good results (mind you, not the greatest prob because I was a little stretched).
All years up to and including Yr 10, I danced for 20 hours a week.
In Yr 11, I cut back to 14 hours.
In Yr 12, I do about 4 hours a week.

I also had drama, violin and debating mixed in too, also volunteering.

talisman

HSC
yea i think i should keep cocorricular. debating is a bit iffy because it takes up quite a bit of time but i'm having less than 10 units next year.

i'm aiming for leadership, don't know if i'll get anything though.

i'm definitely doing duke of ed despite protests from DA MUM. she's convinced only marks matter for getting into uni (which they do to an extent) and for getting job (which i'm pretty sure they don't). if i'm aiming for a uni scholarship, i really should keep cocorricular.

Examine

same
HSC
swimming 3-5 times per week, 1 and a half hours each time, leisure reading, charity work when I'm bothered to do it.

Last edited:

zombies

HSC
0 hrs. Last year, I was doing music (piano and saxophone, stage band, wind symph) but since I switched schools this year, everything's been stressful and I didn't want to join any music ensembles, and I got my music lessons at my old school so I couldn't stay with the same teachers this year and I didn't get new ones so yeah.. but I work 9hrs a week so I guess that's something.

talisman

HSC
If you want a scholarship, most definitely keep co-curricular! Otherwise nothing will set you apart from all the other super smart people applying.
for scholarships, they do have interviews right??? i think the interview part, selling myself face-to-face would probs be better for me than simply writing it out in an application

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
About 3 hours a week of soccer, used to do gaming competitively but not so much now.

avro

HSC
for scholarships, they do have interviews right??? i think the interview part, selling myself face-to-face would probs be better for me than simply writing it out in an application
Not too sure. It depends on the scholarship type and the university.

theycallmebob

HSC
If you want a scholarship, most definitely keep co-curricular! Otherwise nothing will set you apart from all the other super smart people applying.
I didn't think of this. what sort of thing do they like best?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)