How many hrs of study? (1 Viewer)

daniel4592

HSC
Im just wondering how long per week wise am I looking to put into study?
Im asking because im being freaked out that my unit outlines state I should be putting in 10 hours of study at home for each unit + contact time, bringing it close to 60hours per week :S, with that said that is about an avg of 9 hours a day which I personally know I wont be able to do, last year I spent 6 hours one day trying to perfect my english advanced essay for my HSC and I was about to rip my hair out.

9 Hours a day also means there is no posibility for a casual job, which makes me think this is unrealisitc, simply because I see so many Uni students working at Woolworths and EB games etc.

How many hours should I be looking at, im not doing an insanely hard course, Health Scicene (PDHPE teaching), I also think I should mention that Im only doing this 3 year course so I can qualify getting a Masters in Education so I can teach, so mark wise I only want passes in my Bachelor, my main concern is the masters of education, which I will aim to get high end grades in, but thats a different story.

badquinton304

HSC
I think its 10-12 hours a week for each unit you do. This includes writing notes reading, lecture/tutorial and practical time.
So 6 or 7 hours a day should do it including lectures etc.
That should give you enough for 3-4 hours work a day. Assuming you sleep 6-8 hours and have a good 2-3 hours leisure nd some shower/eating/toilet time.

kagura

HSC
Like what the above poster said, it's recommended by the uni that you should study 10 hours a week per unit which also includes your contact hours. Assuming that your typical unit comprise of a 2 hour lecture and a 2 hour tutorial, you'll be left with 6 hours to study the content material at home. That said, you can get away with 5-7 hours if your studying method is effective. If you really want to exceed and want to aim for distinctions and high distinctions, it would be in your best interest to take the 10 hours of study (contact + self study) to heart. ;)

VU-Nit

HSC
if u wanna scrape by then the only time you should put effort in per wk is for doing homework which is approx 1-2 hrs.
and dont forget to cram 1 day before tests xD

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It'll depend on how fast you pick up the content. If you feel you know it well enough to apply it, and be marked on it, then there's no need to study it. Alternatively, if you're slow and picking up on concepts, you'll need to spend some extra time.

daniel4592

HSC
Well im not saying I wont try, I certinally will, but stuff that I feel like I know I wont bother, on the other hand, I also have to focus on getting a part time job im going to try and balance it all out, by that I mean Uni but I will never go over the top simply because Id rather be mentally sane after my 3 years are up, so I can have a year of to complete my masters of teaching with a HD.

Bananaberry

HSC
They used to say to us when I was goin there, you should do as many hours out of uni as you do in uni. so if you do 10 hours a week in uni, do 10 hours a week at home

chefman21

HSC
N/A
I don't think there is any set amount. In my opinion, do as much as you need to do to pass. After that, if you are aiming for higher marks, do more. I think everyone has different capabilities. Some people might struggle with the course content yet some may find it incredibly easy.

daniel4592

HSC
They used to say to us when I was goin there, you should do as many hours out of uni as you do in uni. so if you do 10 hours a week in uni, do 10 hours a week at home
I like the sound of this method :p, not because it seems easier, but I understand the point of it, revise it more deeply and then my plan is when exams come just put alot more work into going over the basics of everything and done.
But I dont think its effective pumping in 60 hours a week of study when you only have 12 hours of contact time.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It does of course, depend on how many hours of contact you have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)