How many quotes per paragraph? (1 Viewer)

yours

HSC
How many? Also, how many paragraphs? (IGNORING INTRO AND CONCLUSION)? I'm talking about modules.

how many do you usually do? I think this is a more specific way to consider how 'in-depth' an essay is since we've all agreed the page count can be everything and anything. (well, people end up concluding 'it depends on the size of your handwriting', which, really, is a bit useless.)

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
How many? Also, how many paragraphs? (IGNORING INTRO AND CONCLUSION)? I'm talking about modules.

how many do you usually do? I think this is a more specific way to consider how 'in-depth' an essay is since we've all agreed the page count can be everything and anything. (well, people end up concluding 'it depends on the size of your handwriting', which, really, is a bit useless.)
I'd say a minimum of 2 solid quotes or do 1 solid + 2 minor quotes, but as you must be aware, quotes by themselves don't do anything. You need substantial analysis and then a link back to your idea/topic sentence in the paragraph.

Usually for modules and for your belonging essay, you would usually do 4 body paragraphs + intro + conclusion. So you are aiming at around a minimum of 8 solid quotes!

All the best

enoilgam

HSC
I'd say a minimum of 2 solid quotes or do 1 solid + 2 minor quotes, but as you must be aware, quotes by themselves don't do anything. You need substantial analysis and then a link back to your idea/topic sentence in the paragraph.
Usually for modules and for your belonging essay, you would usually do 4 body paragraphs + intro + conclusion. So you are aiming at around a minimum of 8 solid quotes!

All the best
This, especially whats in bold.

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
How many quotes is too many, then?
I'd say 4 for a paragraph would be insane, because that wouldn't be a paragraph anymore then..it would be too long. I think two is ideal because it allows room for good analysis and discussion. If you are doing more you are probably sacrificing analysis!

yours

HSC
I'd say 4 for a paragraph would be insane, because that wouldn't be a paragraph anymore then..it would be too long. I think two is ideal because it allows room for good analysis and discussion. If you are doing more you are probably sacrificing analysis!
I think you have a good point, so a quote of length would be about the length of this?

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
I think you have a good point, so a quote of length would be about the length of this?
yes, around that! Don't worry too much about how long your quote is, as long as it is sufficient to support your point and good enough to have 2-3 techniques.

HSC
please do not use quotes in your essays, it only takes up valid space where you could be discussing textual concerns like hamlets illusions but if you are doing hamlet use the quote 'to be or not to be' cos that is really important!!!

2011_

HSC

My Teacher has always said one quote and / or one piece of 'evidence' per paragraph (except intro and conclusion).

HSC
i just integrate quotes (3-4 words) into my paragraph every so often (about 3 times)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Module A - 1 per paragraph
Module B - like 7 or more per paragraph (It's a fucking close study, so I'm studying it very fucking closely)
Module C - it's a film so like one or none. But I use evidence such as "the long shot in this scene showing…" or whatever.
Belonging - lol. Maybe one?

EDIT: just realised this was in the Advanced section. Disregard this standard child.

Last edited:

interesting

HSC
N/A
Module A - 1 per paragraph
Module B - like 7 or more per paragraph (It's a fucking close study, so I'm studying it very fucking closely)
Module C - it's a film so like one or none. But I use evidence such as "the long shot in this scene showing…" or whatever.
Belonging - lol. Maybe one?
lol @ module B. Isn't that paragraph going to be HUGE then?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I had like 6-7 quotes per paragraph per module essay, and about 8-9 quotes per AoS paragraph.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
lol @ module B. Isn't that paragraph going to be HUGE then?
only like a page and a half.
That's only half a page longer than my other essay paragraphs.
But I could really split them into two paragraphs because I link between poems but I could really make a new para.

allisonplop

HSC
does that mean that we need to add in a new technique for each new quote we introduce in the paragraph?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
does that mean that we need to add in a new technique for each new quote we introduce in the paragraph?
Yup. If I had 8 quotes per paragraph, I had 8 (or more) techniques. As for explanation, I just lumped some quotes together to make one explanation for it all.

themanman

HSC
N/A
Yup. If I had 8 quotes per paragraph, I had 8 (or more) techniques. As for explanation, I just lumped some quotes together to make one explanation for it all.
aerath m8, ur an absolute legend.

the amount of help and time uve been devoting

no wonder ur a mod

just wanted to take some time to appreciate :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)