How many related texts? (1 Viewer)

shuttle_bus5

HSC
The question can either state 1 or 2.
Id proably just prepare 2 in case the question asks for it.

moshi.bum

HSC
Minimum 2,
Sometimes some related texts don't work for specific questions.

madsam

God among men
HSC
two, we've been told that inclass and all past papers we've gone through have asked for two

So 3 poems + 2 additionals is the right way to go

lychnobity

HSC
I got tripped up in the independent trial when they asked for 2.

Bloody teacher said to do 1.

So now, I've been trying to prepare 3 related texts (1 spare) and 3 Levertov poems.

untouchablecuz

HSC
alrighty, thanks guys

just one more thing, how much are we expected to write on these related texts? 1000 words is not enough for prescribed text + 1 related. let alone 2 :|

edit: also, if we're doing a novel for H&M, is it acceptable if we only focus on one chapter? (keep in mind, the novel only has 5 chapters)

Last edited:

lychnobity

HSC
alrighty, thanks guys

just one more thing, how much are we expected to write on these related texts? 1000 words is not enough for prescribed text + 1 related. let alone 2 :|
They should be equal to the prescibed.

So say, if you're doing poems like I am, it means you have 4 texts (2 poems, 2 related) to cover in 1000 words. Say take out 200 words for intro and conclusion, and you'll have 800 words to cover 4 texts, ~200 words/text.

Has to be one hell of a good 800 words. Not enough time and space to do the topic justice.

Last edited:

ashllis92

HSC
Wow, I'm doing three because the questions are always AT LEAST two texts... which i read as three... It's not that hard to fit it all in if youre reasonably succinct and can write fairly quickly...

lychnobity

HSC
Wow, I'm doing three because the questions are always AT LEAST two texts... which i read as three... It's not that hard to fit it all in if youre reasonably succinct and can write fairly quickly...
LOL, not for us folk doing poems. Standard no. poems is 3, and at least 2 related on top of that...it's an absolute mission to sort out the best parts. I think discussing 6 texts would be stretching it ...

But, if I had a lovely book or film as my prescribed, would definitely go for 3 related.

ashllis92

HSC
LOL, not for us folk doing poems. Standard no. poems is 3, and at least 2 related on top of that...it's an absolute mission to sort out the best parts. I think discussing 6 texts would be stretching it ...

But, if I had a lovely book or film as my prescribed, would definitely go for 3 related.
Well I'm doing the 50th gate but for belonging I've got poetry and I'm doing 4 poems + 3 related... I focus mainly onthe prescribed though and only use related to reinforce or conrast my points

lychnobity

HSC
Well I'm doing the 50th gate but for belonging I've got poetry and I'm doing 4 poems + 3 related... I focus mainly onthe prescribed though and only use related to reinforce or conrast my points
holy shit, how do you manage? 7 texts in one essay?

teach me

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
They should be equal to the prescibed.

So say, if you're doing poems like I am, it means you have 4 texts (2 poems, 2 related) to cover in 1000 words. Say take out 200 words for intro and conclusion, and you'll have 800 words to cover 4 texts, ~200 words/text.

Has to be one hell of a good 800 words. Not enough time and space to do the topic justice.
my teachers have said you should do majority of your prescribed text. i did equal in my trial and got marked down for not focusing enough on my main text. if you have [for example] four paragraphs, two should be on main text, and the other two on your admat. or five, three should be on your main text, and two on your admat, etc.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
if they say at least two, you should do two and only two. my english teacher basically wrote the ee1 syllabus and he says you can't get enough detail in if you do another admat. you won't get extra marks for it apparently.

ashllis92

HSC
When I say succinct I mean if anything isn't 100% making your point, don't write it! I don't introduce texts like In X text, X speaks about X. This can tell us X. I just write X text uses X technique to tell X. My essays are 1200+ though... just look at one of your essays, chances are theres a fair bit of fat there which isn't directly earning you marks just making it sound a bit nicer. Don't introduce the text, your audience is a hsc marker who would know the texts backwards and doesn't need to be told.
Keep going through your essay and trimming fat, then you find yourself another X number of words for another text and stuff...

untouchablecuz

HSC
but arent you expected to compose a smooth, flowing argument with at least some level of sophistication? trimming an essay excessively to the point where its technique after technique with little discussion doesn't seem right to me. i think a certain level of "fat" is nessecary for an essay to be enjoyable to read

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)