How many words should a 5-mins speech be ? (1 Viewer)

muzeikchun852

HSC
i got 1288 words. that means about 4 words per second - impossible.

so how long should it be normally ?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
there really is not offical calucation

time yourself and adjust from that, everyone talks at different paces and you may have props too

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
there really is not offical calucation

time yourself and adjust from that, everyone talks at different paces and you may have props too
This.

The rate people communicate varies widely. Best thing would be to write, read out loud then adjust where necessary. This also changes if you decide to use props, or visual aids (such as powerpoints, videos, film excerpts, etc).

Plus you have to keep in mind that when speaking in front of an audience people generally speak faster, so remember that factor when writing your speech. Sorry, for my inability to estimate an approximate of words, but the calculation just has far too many variables.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
This.

The rate people communicate varies widely. Best thing would be to write, read out loud then adjust where necessary. This also changes if you decide to use props, or visual aids (such as powerpoints, videos, film excerpts, etc).

Plus you have to keep in mind that when speaking in front of an audience people generally speak faster, so remember that factor when writing your speech. Sorry, for my inability to estimate an approximate of words, but the calculation just has far too many variables.
pretty much what i said but more detailed. Its different for eeeryone public speaking

robkin

HSC
As a rule of thumb, i just say 150-180 words per minute

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
The standard speaking rate should be around 120-180 words per minute. If you gesture and pause for emphasis this can get down to 100. If you speak like a freight train, you'll be able to get around 200 with clarity.

Ideally you want to make it around 140-150 words per minute. This gives you enough chance to actually present the material (a very important factor) and still give you enough words to say what you need. For a five minute speech, this means around 800 words.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
And it is an english speech so no material required.
Clarity is important. If you don't have it, cut the number of words. It's more important to be understood and clear, than to just rattle of information.

''Present the material" just meant your delivery of the content i.e The actual performing of the information. The way you gesture, place emphasis etc.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Yeah, mine was around 800, the content was not great but still got a great mark because of good presentation etc.

mecramarathon

HSC
900 tops, 750 preferably or you'll sound like a monodrone

though if you have the voice of an auctioneer ...

ya_mum

'When there's a will, there's a way' - MOI
HSC
Basically what you do is:

1. Record the speech
2. Adjust accordingly - take out words etc or if its too short, which it shouldn't be right now.
3. Repeat step 1 and 2, keeping in mind that you speak around 150 words per minute. But it really depends on you as a person. It is generally better to say less with more pauses.
4. Ace speech.

Gigacube

HSC
Around 800 words with a few pauses for the 'effect'.

A lot of people said it like it was an essay and didn't ask any rhetorical questions or stuff like that.

I had to write about my prescribed text & 2 related text. I did 3 paragraphs on the prescribed one and 1 each for the related texts.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Around 800 words with a few pauses for the 'effect'.

A lot of people said it like it was an essay and didn't ask any rhetorical questions or stuff like that.

I had to write about my prescribed text & 2 related text. I did 3 paragraphs on the prescribed one and 1 each for the related texts.
This is a key point to note. Make sure it is actually a speech, not just the reading of an essay. The introductions of speeches are usually totally different. You have to engage your audience immediately. Middles can't just be paragraphs, break it up with quotes, repeated phrases, and bigger jumps in sentence length than usual. Endings need to be punchy and to the point. If you can reference your opener, all the better.

Also, don't overuse rhetorical questions just to make it seem like a speech. It will appear forced. Also, starting with "Hello class, teachers... etc." and ending with "Thankyou for listening" is just terrible. Make it engaging and worth listening to. Both those phrases are just wasting words.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Practice saying it a few times, so you get an idea of which parts you say slower/faster and any pauses. Then time it and adjust accordingly. Normally on the day you tend to speak a bit faster, but no more than 10 seconds shorter.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I usually start off with an anecdote, always works

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)