• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How much do i need to study (2 Viewers)

Qrux

HSC
I do
  • Physics,
  • Chemistry,
  • Maths (2U),
  • English Adv.,
  • Geo,
  • business studies
im in yr 11 and i want to do engineering so i need a UAI of 85+ but my aim is 90 just to be sure. i have no idea how much work i need to do.
i know there is no definitive answer but i just want an idea of how much study i should be doing each night. I know it depends on how effectively i study and stuff like that, but im just wondering.
thanks.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Qrux said:
I do
  • Physics,
  • Chemistry,
  • Maths (2U),
  • English Adv.,
  • Geo,
  • business studies
im in yr 11 and i want to do engineering so i need a UAI of 85+ but my aim is 90 just to be sure. i have no idea how much work i need to do.
i know there is no definitive answer but i just want an idea of how much study i should be doing each night. I know it depends on how effectively i study and stuff like that, but im just wondering.
thanks.
Start with the realistic amount. No one would start studying from 5 hours a day. You have to build your way then you can become gradually accustomed to it. Now, I can easily study 3-5 hours a day (not that I do it everyday).

Looking at your subjects, your workload must be quite significant. I suggest about 1-2 hours a day as extra studies. And by "extra studies" I mean work apart from homework.

Your "extra studies" should include note-taking, doing some exercise questions and going through past papers.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Two hour at least, and you should be getting 90+. And that doesn't have to be every night. Make sure you have time to go out and stuff too.

morganforrest

HSC
You guys are so keen. I don't think I picked up a textbook more than a week out from exams in yr11.

Anything more than an hour a night is really quite excessive. Do your homework, stay up to date on assessment tasks but apart from that, just leave the notetaking until it actually matters.

boris

Banned
HSC
3 hours a day minimum.
Doesn't have to be in a big slab, but if you're going to break it up, realistically you're going to want to do more than 3.

Prioritise your subjects. Suffice to say, Business Studies isn't going to require as much work as Physics or Chem, but don't let a shit subject like Business Studies drag you down. Because it's so easy, you should aim for high marks and high rankings in it, just as you should with the others.

Man, I'd even suggest dropping Bus Stud after year 11. I can't see how or why you're going to need it, and isn't it a cat B subject anyway?

p2n

HSC
boris said:
3 hours a day minimum.
Doesn't have to be in a big slab, but if you're going to break it up, realistically you're going to want to do more than 3.

Prioritise your subjects. Suffice to say, Business Studies isn't going to require as much work as Physics or Chem, but don't let a shit subject like Business Studies drag you down. Because it's so easy, you should aim for high marks and high rankings in it, just as you should with the others.

Man, I'd even suggest dropping Bus Stud after year 11. I can't see how or why you're going to need it, and isn't it a cat B subject anyway?
Business Studies is a Category A subject and you are mistaking it for a Category B subject Business Services you misguided dickless son of a bitch.
With the exception of Extension subjects all subjects are of similar standards so equal priority can be placed on it.
Learn to HSC even though you barely did you disorientated douche.

boris

Banned
HSC
p2n said:
Business Studies is a Category A subject and you are mistaking it for a Category B subject Business Services you misguided dickless son of a bitch.
With the exception of Extension subjects all subjects are of similar standards so equal priority can be placed on it.
Learn to HSC even though you barely did you disorientated douche.
No, not all subjects are of similar standards, so no, equal priority can't be placed on it. I would definitely not put Bus Std in the same league as Physics, Chem and 2U Maths. If you refer back to my post though, you will see that I said he should aim for high marks in it anyway but to be honest, if he wants to go into engineering I can't see why he'd need to carry it on in the HSC.

And yeah, I am dickless.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
our school reccoments 3 hours a night for year 11 minimum and 4 hours for year 12.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
morganforrest said:
You guys are so keen. I don't think I picked up a textbook more than a week out from exams in yr11.

Anything more than an hour a night is really quite excessive. Do your homework, stay up to date on assessment tasks but apart from that, just leave the notetaking until it actually matters.
An hour a day really isn't sufficient. That's Year 7-8 level.

adidasboy

weee
HSC
Realistically I do approximately 4-5 hours on most days, sometimes more. I have breaks tho.. I exercise (weights) for half an hour to stay fit =P, watch about half an hour of tv, have night snacks etc. haha

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
adidasboy said:
Realistically I do approximately 4-5 hours on most days, sometimes more. I have breaks tho.. I exercise (weights) for half an hour to stay fit =P, watch about half an hour of tv, have night snacks etc. haha
i think that is excessive for year 11

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
adidasboy said:
Impressive! I rarely do 4-5 hours a day. I probably do it once in two days or three days.

I think I should increase my amount of study time even though I tend to concentrate on the study method rather than the amount in which I spend on studying.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
The aim should not be time studied, but rather, content covered.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
OK, I'm also in year 11, and all this talk about 3-5 hours a night is scaring the crap out of me. I'm doing quite well at 1.5-3 hour a night at the moment and am not going to try and go much further than 3 in year 12 either.

People worry about getting a bad UAI, but what I'm worried about is burning out before the HSC's half over. I watched my sister go through the HSC, stressed as hell, and doing a steady 3 hours per night. She got a UAI of 98.9, which is around where I am aiming. A number of my post-HSC friends talk of this infamous "burning out" and a couple of those burned out themselves. Got to be the most undignified way of buggering up your HSC.

Its the last week of term for me, and I am lying low, setting a 2 hour cap on my daily work. If you want to do well, get a good 8+ hours of sleep per night and just make very efficient time of school hours. Make the most of your teachers, and that'll make so that you aren't just doing 3-5 hours of work a day, but 5 hours of the most efficient work you can get out of school and then some light study at home to top it off.

Good luck to all of you HSC pioneers.
Peace.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
yeah i thik if you overwork like doing 5 hours a night that is going to make you burn out by year 12

Qrux

HSC
lol i think i really need to start working.
through yr 10 and mid yearlies tis year i only started studying like the weekend before for exam week and then the night before maybe 2 hours at the most
and yeh i think i will drop business its a bit of a joke, i wont need it and i find it reaaally boring, its just dictation.
thanks for the advice/tips

Last edited:

adidasboy

weee
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
yeah i thik if you overwork like doing 5 hours a night that is going to make you burn out by year 12
If you take breaks, exercise regularly it's fine. At least for me anyways :lol:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)