how much do internal assesments really count?? plus other random questions (1 Viewer)

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
flyingdown said:
Your final mark is the average of your internal assessment mark and the HSC exam mark.

So for example if you get 85 for school assessments and 95 for the exam, you will get a 90.

It also depends on ranking.
Just to add to that, the internal assessment mark is dependant on your ranking in the subject and the performance of the grade in the external HSC exam, not the marks that you received in your internal assessments throughout the HSC year.
flyingdown said:
Heh, I had 5 assessments in 3 days. That was not fun, but I think I managed to do OK in all of them.
Ouch, that would have been nasty :eek:

Last edited:

happyboyrulz

HSC
If the top 10 people got the same mark for internal assessments, would the rank given to BOS be 10th or 1st?

1. Depending on the school, subjects such as english where the assessments have small totals such as 15, the marks are fairly close, so ranking isn't really important - i think :confused:. Usually you 'll end up with several people on the same ranks.

Tim035

HSC
Wel... If it wasn't for my rankings in english extension, english advanced and religion I would have had 5 band 6's and a band e4 grrrrr

P

pLuvia

Well the little things become big things and if you have bad results it will affect you, but if you stuff up like a 5% weighting it won't affect you that much. BUt it's the rank that matters not the marks

HSC
Thats what kind of throws me. Its your ranks that matter. Do you mean your rank in the subject at the school or your rank in the entire state?

HSC
Isn't that unfair for students that attend larger schools as they are ranked against alot more fellow students?

nitnit

HSC
Everyone keeps saying that ranking counts.. but isnt the MARK important in the HSC?

For example, I have been getting 70's (high and low) and still ranked in the top20 of the course in my school, but merely achieving 70's (band 4) is not enough for a good UAI (85+) :confused:

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
nitnit said:
Everyone keeps saying that ranking counts.. but isnt the MARK important in the HSC?

For example, I have been getting 70's (high and low) and still ranked in the top20 of the course in my school, but merely achieving 70's (band 4) is not enough for a good UAI (85+) :confused:
76, say, as a raw mark does not necessarily equate to a Band 4. Bands are described by performance descriptions, like 'displays excellent/very good/good/poor ability to do blah blah blah'. Your school may mark harshly or easily, so the BOS can't just take a 76 in an assessment and say 'This is Band 4'. A 76 at one school is different to a 76 at another.

So your mark in itself is only important in the HSC exams, because you can compare the marks between different people in different schools, as everyone takes the same exam. In assessments, it's how well you perform compared to the others at your school that's important. The moderation process, as Without Wings was saying, then converts your internal rank to a mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)