How much do investment bankers earn?? (1 Viewer)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I saw that the average wage for an Investment banker is 100k which is on par with an accountant.
Seriously?

Aside from the fact that you can't even read the information you provide properly, I don't even care what some random site says; everyone here that has some kind of experience in the real world (ie, the world beyond uni), ie, Omnipotence, Omnidragon etc knows that top-tier accounting at Big 4 does not earn anywhere near as much as IB. IB grad is around 110-130k, Big 4 grad is about 55-60k.

But as my previous post mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if the actual savings of the IB grad and Big 4 grad would be around the same, due to the lifestyle requirements that an IBer has to undergo to succeed in that workplace.

RishBonjour

HSC
Seriously?

Aside from the fact that you can't even read the information you provide properly, I don't even care what some random site says; everyone here that has some kind of experience in the real world (ie, the world beyond uni), ie, Omnipotence, Omnidragon etc knows that top-tier accounting at Big 4 does not earn anywhere near as much as IB. IB grad is around 110-130k, Big 4 grad is about 55-60k.

But as my previous post mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if the actual savings of the IB grad and Big 4 grad would be around the same, due to the lifestyle requirements that an IBer has to undergo to succeed in that workplace.
In Australia too? I thought it was more essential in Asian countries.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yes, in Australia too. I'm sure it's comparatively less than what it's made out to be in the US, and maybe Asia, but in terms of spending, yes, definitely, Australian IBers work hard and party hard as well.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I don't think anyone meant to be mean or anything - it's just you can't pass what you think you may know as established fact.

In saying that, I think given you're about to start uni soon (or have started uni), and are already considering career options and have some sort of knowledge about the real world is admirable, and will set you ahead of some of your peers. Good luck.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
This. That being said, given that a good number (dare I say, most?) of those in the IB grad roles on that salary come from a Comm/Law (or double degree) background, like for like, someone who did well in Big 4 accounting and got their CA wouldn't be on such a different salary after 2-3 years working especially if they had moved to commercial by then. Of course this doesn't take into account the bonus potential in IB (50%+) vs accounting (typically 0-20% depending on firm or company).

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
This. That being said, given that a good number (dare I say, most?) of those in the IB grad roles on that salary come from a Comm/Law (or double degree) background, like for like, someone who did well in Big 4 accounting and got their CA wouldn't be on such a different salary after 2-3 years working especially if they had moved to commercial by then. Of course this doesn't take into account the bonus potential in IB (50%+) vs accounting (typically 0-20% depending on firm or company).
Wasn't Aerath including bonus with that? I'm not quite sure myself. About bonuses, haven't they been pretty shitty post gfc, how many grad IBankers would be getting 50% + bonuses atm? Not saying you're wrong or anything, i just don't know myself.

db94

HSC
Wasn't Aerath including bonus with that? I'm not quite sure myself. About bonuses, haven't they been pretty shitty post gfc, how many grad IBankers would be getting 50% + bonuses atm? Not saying you're wrong or anything, i just don't know myself.
from what Ive read, they have cut bonuses but increased salaries or other benefits recently. Its a little trick they do during tough times to make it look as though they got less (as per everyone else in the labour force would have), when in fact they still got the same amount in other years. Dunno if there's any truth to that or not, it kinda makes sense. Heres a vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZZqHR7k4K4

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
*shrugs* Guess so given that base is still circa $100k flat for quite a few IBD roles. I know my Big 4 bonus wasn't too different to my friends in IBD these past couple of years (obviously their base is higher though).

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I actually don't know. These are figures that my friend has told me - I can ask him though. :p

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
For BBs its around 110-120k (90-100k for boutiques) with 30% bonus.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
I saved ~95% of my income in first 2 years. Bankers don't have a comparatively more expensive lifestyle in Australia. Why would they? In fact, I spent so much time in the office and ate on my AMEX and caught taxis home every night, my only expense was the odd drink on Friday night and bus fare in the morning. But in reality, I was so tired on Friday and Saturday and Sunday, I don't even go out and drink.

I don't know what grad base salaries are now. I'd imagine they're somewhere around 100-115k? It was 95-105k in my days. Excluding bonuses.

At the end of the day, in your earlier years both professions are small money after taxes. IB is also blood money. It's a lot higher, but you trade your time and health for it. That's all - there's no magic to it. If you spent that time and health doing other things, maybe you would've made the same money give or take. That said, it's an easy route that requires no thinking (just doing) and can help you save some starting capital if nothing else. Hence if a person gets in to IB and then as a result lives a far more expensive lifestyle so they end up saving as much as they do as an accountant, then in my opinion that person is very stupid and should go be an accountant instead with less stress, less workload and less working hours.

At the end of the day, the key to success is to make your capital work for you. Even better, it's to make other people's capital work for you. This is in effect what all the books like Rich Dad, Poor Dad (ps I've never read them), The Richest Man in Babylon (again haven't read it) are all about despite the 300 pages of other non-essential stories/anecdotes. That's why our society is called capitalism.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
from what Ive read, they have cut bonuses but increased salaries or other benefits recently. Its a little trick they do during tough times to make it look as though they got less (as per everyone else in the labour force would have), when in fact they still got the same amount in other years. Dunno if there's any truth to that or not, it kinda makes sense. Heres a vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZZqHR7k4K4
I have heard about that, thanks for the link

I actually don't know. These are figures that my friend has told me - I can ask him though. :p
Please do

At the end of the day, the key to success is to make your capital work for you. Even better, it's to make other people's capital work for you. This is in effect what all the books like Rich Dad, Poor Dad (ps I've never read them), The Richest Man in Babylon (again haven't read it) are all about despite the 300 pages of other non-essential stories/anecdotes. That's why our society is called capitalism.
I just finished reading this myself, great book. Highly recommended.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
As long as you don't end up like: http://gizmodo.com/5981823/beat-by-dre-the-inside-story-of-how-monster-lost-the-world

(on another note, Rich Dad Poor Dad author > http://www.news.com.au/business/you...s-for-bankruptcy/story-fn9evb64-1226494438698 )

is a roflcopter
HSC
im a first year associate and my total compensation was 260k

pretty good versus the average joe
but there are many days that i question why im doing this.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Ibankers (especially BB ones) do what they do because:

- they're too risk averse and are worried they can't replicate their easy (although long hours) salary if they left
- they come across/meet/hear about real rich people (especially in HK) with lots of money, and while they know they don't have it, they do their job because that bit of pride helps them on an ego level
- they haven't saved enough money to generate enough cashflow and generally don't have time to seek out opportunities that generate cashflow;
- they overanalyse the living cr@p out of every venture and will conclude all of it is too risky or too hard or someone's already done it (eg how many times newbie have you heard ibankers say "hk property prices are overinflated they're going to crash look at the yields blah blah blah" over the last few years... reality is if you had gone hard in hte last 3 years you would've walked away with at least a million aussie by now. They just went up another 10% last month)
- their parents tell them, why would you quit at $250k job, when all you have to do is show up to work?

Last edited:

RG11

HSC
doesnt seem like a very appealing job despite the bonuses etc..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)