how much maths in economics? (1 Viewer)

timmii

sporadic attendee
Economics uses quite a bit of maths in older years - I know to do honours you need to do maths subjects, but i don't think thats required of just someone who merely wants to major in, and since everyone is pretty much in your boat or a more sunken one, they do go over what is necessary of course!

Its kind of like "how long is a piece of string"- yes there is maths in it, but just like at school, if you need to learn it you'll learn it. There are maths learning centres to help you if necessary. There are people who did general/2u doing commerce so i wouldn't be overly concerned. Anything of great importance will be taught to you.

Metrics isn't as bad as it is made out to be - a lot of is statistics which wasn't done at school anyway and the tutors/lecturers can be pretty helpful if you go to them with questions.

I wouldn't *not* choose to do the degree because of the maths - it really isn't *that* much (yet...i am only first year), but its incrememental, they teach you what you need to know. For microeconomics they occasionally used calculus to find maxima/minimas in graphs and have yet to use maths really in macro.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I think the maths is more statistical based mathematics, especially in 2nd year (at UNSW anyway). U have to do compulsory econometrics subjects for a B.Ec, which is essentially using statistical models to predict, infer, hypothesise etc
I don't think calculus plays any major role in Economics, its more the statistics

(which is why I'm transferring out of Economics...I hate stats)

timmii

sporadic attendee
I think some theorems etc may use calc. I mean even integrating to find the area for the gini co-efficient...but its rather minor. Minai's right - it is more stats. I actually don't mind metrics, not my fave subject but not abhorrent. Don't get too put off by it all. As you can see from minai's example - you *can* always change if you're hating it! :D

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Agreed!

I do Econ at UC. Not really any maths - just all stats! I hav done Bus Stats 1, and will do Bus Stats 2 next yr (essentially econometrics).. It is a lot of work - especially cause i only done 2 unit maths; but our lecturer came in sat and sun for 3 hrs to have extra help sessions etc...

If u done 3 unit - u'll be fine.. i think when someone says econemetrics - they freak out - just think you are doing 2nd yr stats :)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Maths for the economics honours program is meant to be a bit of a bastard, especially the keeping up the credit average component.

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
I'm really worried now... I did 2U Maths and I hated it and sucked it simultaneously. But I did economics in high school as well and loved it and did well at it.

But the thing is, high school eco has relatively little maths and I really want to do eco with honours at uni so mathematical ineptitude hold me back from graduating with honours???

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Tenax Propositi
I'm really worried now... I did 2U Maths and I hated it and sucked it simultaneously. But I did economics in high school as well and loved it and did well at it.

But the thing is, high school eco has relatively little maths and I really want to do eco with honours at uni so mathematical ineptitude hold me back from graduating with honours???
Well, considering u have to do a thesis in your honours year, u will need to rely on theories and models, and I guess that requires some sound mathematical grounding, especially in basic regression and hypothesis testing kinda thing - it depends what area u focus in. In 2nd yr, there is quite a bit of compulsory Econometrics - I suggest u visit a library/state libray and look through some Introductory econometrics textbooks to get a feel of what u'll be learning

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)