how much should I be writing in 40 mins?! (1 Viewer)

honeycomb

HSC
I was just wondering how much I should be writing in 40 min essays, as I can only manage about 1000-1050 words in essays (about 3.5 pages). I'm in Yr 11 atm, and have been getting good marks in my HSIE subs & English, however I just sat an English exam a couple of weeks ago were I failed to finish the essay, which resulted in me getting absolutely shit.
Also, is there any advice you guys could give me about how to improve my writing speed?
Thank you!

btw- sorry if this is in the wrong thread!

Alkanes

HSC
1000+ words is very efficient in 40 minutes. Ideally, I think anything around 900 is good enough. And anything more than that is a bonus.

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
On average most people can write ~1000 words in 40mins
The only way to increase how much you can write is to practice writing essays in 40mins.

2xL

HSC
I usually go for 1150 but..that's because I adapt a memorised one. Will be less for an essay written on the spot.

SunnyScience

HSC
handwriting size?
I was thinking that, but they would have to write pretty darn small (maybe too small for a marker?). Mine is pretty small-medium and I normally do about 7.5-8 with about 1200...

honeycomb

HSC
1000 words should fill up more than 3.5 pages.
My handwriting is pretty small and messy haha

Thanks for the advice everyone! I actually thought 1000 words wasnt very much but yay apparently it is haha! I think I will need to start practising more essays, but in an exam, I usually take like at least 2-3 minutes just to plan my thoughts or my essays end up sounding incoherent... and usually never actually answer the question!

honeycomb

HSC
I was thinking that, but they would have to write pretty darn small (maybe too small for a marker?). Mine is pretty small-medium and I normally do about 7.5-8 with about 1200...
WOWWWWWW 7.5 PAGES ?!!! that is crazy hahaha... maybe our lines are smaller? because we don't get given actual booklets, we just get given lined paper lol :p

Alkanes

HSC
And a tip for those with small handwriting. Try to increase it lol. You'll be surprised by the amount of pages you can pull off in that 40 minutes, which makes the marker think you wrote a lot haha.

Alkanes

HSC
WOWWWWWW 7.5 PAGES ?!!! that is crazy hahaha... maybe our lines are smaller? because we don't get given actual booklets, we just get given lined paper lol :p
Lol don't be too surprised. I've heard of other crazy people pulling 12-13 pages.

honeycomb

HSC
And a tip for those with small handwriting. Try to increase it lol. You'll be surprised by the amount of pages you can pull off in that 40 minutes, which makes the marker think you wrote a lot haha.
haha its weird actually, normally my writing is massive and neat, but in exams my writings turns really small and messy (some words are actually illegible and i have to quickly cross them out and write them neater lol...

wow 13 pages... that is mind boggling stuff :O
honest question, do you actually believe it is quality > quantity? because the essays where I write a lot, I usually get great marks, the essays where I don't write as much (maybe like 700 words?), i end up doing terrible :S

Sindivyn

HSC
The reason why you didn't go as well could be the same reason you wrote less. It could be that you didn't know what to talk about, didn't know how to answer the question/etc whereas in the essays where you wrote more, you were more confident, allowing you to write more. Also, keep in mind that you have to make a good impression on your markers. Having more pages generally helps to make a good impression.
That being said, Quality > quantity once a substantial quantity has been reached. However, quality + quantity > quality or quantity.

madharris

HSC
N/A
Minimum you should ever aim to do is 800 in 40 min. I get about 1200 on about 4 pages (however my essays are usually ~900-1100 depending how well I know the module)

SunnyScience

HSC
Unless you are absolutely amazing (by which I mean, out of this world), you really do need to write more than 3.5 pages to make a coherent and credible argument with your essay.

jamesischool

Forum Lurker
HSC
Uni Grad
depending on the size this is true. but if you write 300 words a page that adds up to less than 4 pages all up. If you can write 300 words on a page without it being illegible that's some nice handwriting haha. I personally struggle to get 4 pages per essay which is something i need to work on :/
Unless you are absolutely amazing (by which I mean, out of this world), you really do need to write more than 3.5 pages to make a coherent and credible argument with your essay.

thebaase

HSC
Well in Year 11, I can easily do 1500 words in 40 mins. You're all slow trololololol

Dabzz

HSC
At this stage i'd say 4-5 pages handwritten.
Typin prac essays doesn't help so try and hand write all your essays. Don't worry about how neat your handwriting because teachers have a 6th sense to be able to read really bad handwriting.
I'm in year 11 as well and I'm at 5-6 pages.

Good luck! Write away!

Rawf

HSC
Well.. unlike these other people, I can't exactly write 1000 words in 40 minutes haha. I usually make my essays about 900 words, and the max I go is 950.

choiyokbao

HSC
Well in Year 11, I can easily do 1500 words in 40 mins. You're all slow trololololol
Wow.. What the Hacks? thats like nearly 40 words per minute with no stopping time.. is your handwriting legible..?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)