How much study should you do a day? (1 Viewer)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
What do you think is a good solid, sustainable amount to study each day?

I don't want to burn out or be unrealistic, but then I don't want to do little study. Do you do a consistent amount all year, or be fairly consistent with the occasional granted day off and more intense studying at exam time?

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: For Year 12...

I reckon a good amount is 4-5 hours a day throughout the whole hsc, you could make saturday or sunday your break days or maybe do minimal study on those days. Consistency is the key also :)

btw hsc is not about how many hrs you study, if you're measuring by how many hrs your studying then you are doing it wrong.

don't be stupid and study crazy hrs like me , just need efficiency and good planning in your studies :)

by exam time also, you should be relaxing your mind and just reading your notes. However i tend to study a bit more as you tend to forget things before hand.

remember burning yourself out and studying hell alot before exams in yr 12 is the worst thing you could do...

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC

I did more around exam time. I found revision to be pointless, as you pretty much forget most of the stuff anyway. Plus you dont want to end up like some people who pound it in the first 2-3 terms then burnout before the trials.

Alkanes

HSC

4-5 hours/per day? Shit bro too much. You'll be burning out in no time. I think 3 hours/day will be sufficient.

Cheesecake_a

HSC

Would atleast 3 hours everyday be okay?

I was thinking of also attending the library after school as I would work much better there, as there are no distractions for me and would give me more motivation...

However I would like on a weekend (depending if i have any major works, etc) to have a day off and maybe do an hour study and then go out? Like a treat?

Oh and also I think working throughout the year, if done in a proper way according to your personal needs, is better than cramming and stressing even more before HSC exams, as others will be writing up notes and what not while you can read over them and then work on practice papers :)

I guess it all depends on the individual.

enoilgam

HSC

With study, its about what works for you. I found 3 hours a day to be a pointless waste of time. For me, I did most of my study/work in the lead up to exams. However, this strategy may not work for everyone.

tambam

HSC

It depends whether you're naturally smart, or if you think you'll actually need to work really hard to get the reach your atar goal and get into the course you want.

During the year, i did:
- ~30 minutes of maths a day regularly, and virtually nothing else.
- In the 2 or so weeks before assessments and trials, around 2-3 hours a day making notes, or doing english practice essays
- ~6 hours the day before each exam cramming information.
And i take fridays and sundays off.

In hindsight, probably should have worked a bit harder, cos 99.9 (10k unsw scientia scholarship) is just out of reach, but at least i can say that hsc year has been pretty enjoyable and not that stressful.

OP, don't make year12 all about studying, do extracurricular stuff like sports (especially if you want scholarships), and its all well and good to spend hours 'studying', but the most important thing is to make sure you understand concepts, especially in maths, and for humanities and sciences, make sure you don't just know your content, but actually know how to approach and answer questions (practice this heaps).

Last edited:

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad

4-5 hours/per day? Shit bro too much. You'll be burning out in no time. I think 3 hours/day will be sufficient.
im not sure varies for person by person. But 4-5hrs is pretty descent for me, I am a very slow learner and my studying practices are pretty inefficient in comparison to others. (I tend to revise every subject a day to keep me on track, this way i won't forget all the stuff ).

But on sundays i take studying off or do very minimal, since i go to church and sunday is considered my 'holy' day.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Two hours of PROPER study is sufficient. It's all about how well you are studying, an hour of good study is better than 5 hours of crap study.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
Two hours of PROPER study is sufficient. It's all about how well you are studying, an hour of good study is better than 5 hours of crap study.
but im not sure how 2hrs of 'proper' study works for you o_O?? since you do all these crazy subjects.. lawl...

thoth1

Banned
HSC
believe me just stay healthy during the year and about 6 weeks b4 half yearly and trial begin serious study. like tambam said, maths is the only subject that is not crammable.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
I read the question like this: "How much study do you do a day?"

I cram for ALL my subjects a week before the exam (even the Trial), with the exception of Maths. Strangely enough, it has worked for Physics and Economics, and I've managed to finish 30th/108 and 10th/55 respectively (which is Band 6). English, on the other hand, has had mixed results. Half yearly was good (by my standards) (56th/210) but my Trial was abysmal (69/100). Maths, for me, is inconsistent. I do a past paper, I reach a hard question (doesn't usually happen in 3U) and I become de motivated and don't do shit for a few weeks. But if it's 3U, I can sit on hours on end, doing past papers, without getting bored. I would NOT recommend my approach to anyone.

As for what you should do, it depends on your attitude, ability and aim.
If you don't want to cram, and don't want to do ANYTHING in class, try doing 20 hours a week. 2 per weekday and 5 per weekend. Depends on the subjects you do and whether you're good at them or not.

Last edited:

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
I read the question like this: "How much study do you do a day?"

I cram for ALL my subjects a week before the exam (even the Trial), with the exception of Maths. Strangely enough, it has worked for Physics and Economics, and I've managed to finish 30th/108 and 10th/55 respectively (which is Band 6). English, on the other hand, has had mixed results. Half yearly was good (by my standards) (56th/210) but my Trial was abysmal (69/100). Maths, for me, is inconsistent. I do a past paper, I reach a hard question (doesn't usually happen in 3U) and I become de motivated and don't do shit for a few weeks. But if it's 3U, I can sit on hours on end, doing past papers, without getting bored. I would NOT recommend my approach to anyone.

As for what you should do, it depends on your attitude, ability and aim.
If you don't want to cram, and don't want to do ANYTHING in class, try doing 20 hours a week. 2 per weekday and 5 per weekend. Depends on the subjects you do and whether you're good at them or not.
Cramming actually works for eco btw, i crammed 2-3 days before the exam+ although doing hsc mc/short answers 20-30mins a day. I had the best notes though, all summarised very comprehensively and all i needed to do was look through them and just read and read and it would be in my head rdy for a band 6 result. I got 90/100 for CSSA trials and 1st throughout whole year in my mediocre public school with silly mistakes here and then which pulled me down (not reading question properly or rushing). btw and i did write some essay structures here and then.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
lol people measuring in hours

You study enough so that you understand the concepts and can do the questions set for homework confidently - and thus can do well in exams.

Alkanes

HSC
Ahh yep which evokes to memory about this quote.

Quality > Quantity

raghusi

HSC
Probably 2-3 hrs is good enough. However, every individual is different! and as said by others- quality> quantity.

SpreadTheWord

HSC
It varies mate. I have been burnt out ( way before my trials i was doing 4 hours every night, weekends all day even into 2 o'clock in the morning - I was very stupid in that regard), but it lasts a week or two before you just remember your goal and persist. When i say burn out, i still study but i am completely lathargic, and withhold no motivation for anything academic related.

Be consistent throughout the year, remember to create notes from the beginning (although i would recommend using others, it saves time). so 1-2 hours a night, but maybe 2-3 come exams. Obviously it depends on how smart you are as well.

Last edited:

HSC
Uni Grad
At first I was going to study 2-3 hours a day, but then that epically failed. I only ended up studying for 1 hour a day on avg. Still expecting at around 94-95 ATAR though.

The best way is to concentrate in class, get all the information during class time, try to understand it in class time as well. Then when you go home you don't need to study that much. It worked for me in legal studies - for the trial I spent 0 hours of study and I still ended up with 75%, but if I put 3-4 hours of work I would've easily got 90 =_=

Thus the quality of studying > quantity of studying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)