How often are people working? (1 Viewer)

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
ok, i've got my idea (i think), but i don't seem to be getting anywhere. And I know exactly why, it's because I'm not doing any work on it.

Last term i kept telling myself that i'd do heaps in the holidays. But guess what, i haven't. The few things i've put into my journal since the end of school, were when i just randomly got motivated. I feel that i should be more consistent, and then perhaps i'd make more progress.

So, how much work are you doing ? / how often are you doing it?

I guess ideally i should do a little bit every night, that was the plan :eek:

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
Alot of people experience this sense of being creatively blocked, or of being unable to find the motivation to buckle down and work. My advice is firstly not to stress. You'll be fine. Stress makes it more difficult to start and it inflates the problem. Secondly, make a routine for yourself. It may be rocky trying to stick to it over the first few weeks, but the more energy you put into sticking to it, the easier it will become to follow. Putting off anything makes it ultimately more difficult to continue. You have time. If you find a routine now, your consistency will improve, and you'll save yourself the anxiety and panic of a last minute dash, giving you more time to devote to your trials. Finally, don't worry about how much others have written; it's useless. Set yourself goals and establish a routine and you'll do great.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
I've done nothing on my major work since Christmas, ending tonight with this post lol.

aek

Banned
HSC
I hope this makes you feel better; i've done nothing these holidays besides have fun :D

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
Thanks, i feel heaps better now, goldendawn your comments have particularly reassured. I just kinda paniced the other day when i realised hadn't really been doing anything.

Okay, the new plan, i think i'll start by writing/whatever 3 times a week. And I'm sure that once i really get going I'll be more interested and do more.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
orange_blob said:
Thanks, i feel heaps better now, goldendawn your comments have particularly reassured. I just kinda paniced the other day when i realised hadn't really been doing anything.

Okay, the new plan, i think i'll start by writing/whatever 3 times a week. And I'm sure that once i really get going I'll be more interested and do more.
If you maintain that attitude you'll do well orange_blob

Hermzie

rarrrrrrrrr
HSC
The feeling of guilt bites me in the ass if I neglect Ext 2 for more than a week, so this holiday I've been doing something at least once a week, whether it be writing an excerpt of my story, or researching.

gwemma88

HSC
I tend to work in spouts of energy. I can wake up one day and it will be and EE2 day and that feeling may continue for a few days.

Saying this even if i feel like EE2 at the moment, it is not possible due to the dodgy fact that all my other dodgy subjects gave me dodgy homework for the holidays (does the word holiday not imply a break?) and EE2 has been sidelined due to the fact it is not due till August whereas everything else is due next week.

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
gwemma88 said:
...whereas everything else is due next week.
Yeah, I should probably get onto some of the "due next week" work.

Is it just me or does stuff get more boring the shorter the time till it is due is?

HSC
Not very, basically. I hardly did anything with my journal last term, and I've caught up, but other than that I've just written a draft proposal and become filled with self-doubt and loathing.

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
aurelia jejune said:
and become filled with self-doubt and loathing.
...wracked with the pain and isolation of your pitiful meaningless existence?

*wanders off singing 'At least you can take a small bit of comfort in realising that somewhere out there...'*

gwemma88

HSC
Oh we are such happy, cheerful people.

I guess it must be true that writers are often more sensitive to the world around them and as a result often wallow in the depths of despair and depression.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Often enough i suppose, once every 2 days i'll make an entry as to what i'm doing.
I have 2 other major works besides ee2 to work on though. Mehness

madelyn

HSC
Wow...and here I was worried about maintaining just Hist Ex and Eng Ex2! Thankfully history's only around 2000-3000 words (can't remember the figure).

If it makes anyone feel better, I did absolutely nothing for EEX2 in the holidays, and spent the whole time abusing myself for it while I pictured every other EEX2 student in the state happily typing away two/thirds of their pultizer-prize winning short stories/

But now I've come back from the holidays refreshed and recharged (term 4 was so hectic, I needed the break badly) and motivated, and was able to start my MW. (it'll probably end up in the scrap heap though). My enthusiasim/motivation for writing waxes and wanes, so I've just been trying to write when I feel I can and not go too long without doing anything. I Should probably develop a routine though.

Hermzie

rarrrrrrrrr
HSC
I finally have 3000 words, but it's all here and there. I still need to work out what's happening in between everything. Le sigh.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
5500 words as of tonight, spent too much of the holidays revising and editing and neglected actually *finishing* the story.

HSC
N/A
You're probably a good 5500 words ahead of a lot of people, dear. You don't need to worry overmuch about finishing ;)

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
I've set myself a definitive deadline for a fully working draft on the 9th of March, it should prompt me to work with a bit more motivation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)