• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How sophisticatedly do you write? Must be in 2013 graduation (year 10 going to 11) (1 Viewer)

HSC
Re: How sophisticatedly do you write? Must be in 2013 graduation (year 10 going to 11

Taylor swift is a popular 20-year-old Female country/pop, singer-songwriter and musician. Taylor swift comes from a working class background. Her songs touch on challenges and everyday life experiences of teenagers such as growing up, love, school and in general life. Taylor’s songs are reflective of the 21’st century, and life experiences are usually her drive to create new songs. Taylor was raised in a Christian family, and comes from a Scottish and French background.
The text is about a Taylor swifts personal journey as she learns move on from years of being afraid of what others think and surmounting the feeling of being small or useless because of somebody else’s opinion. The song is directed at Taylor swift’s critics and articulates the distinction between honesty and cruelty and where there's a line that is crossed when everything someone does is attacked which is just “mean”. The song is about the pain and heartache experienced as a result of the bullying, and overcoming this fear.

Crossing boundaries is evident through the song as Learning to deal and overcome the effects and feelings brought on bullying. This obstacle is crossed by Omitting negative ideas which someone has stereo-typed her into such as such as being weak, scared and helpless, finding inner and mental strength in times to block out this negativity and attempting to learn from it. Another enduring theme of overcoming obstacles which is seen throughout the song is about the character’s longing for liberation, and trying to find the strength and courage to move from a sense of "brokenness" to "empowerment". The character also overcomes a boundary of Insecurity by comparing her life with the life of the bully in the future and re-assuring herself that she will get through the humiliation and her miserable like state. Similarly, this can be seen to be crossing a boundary of fear. The bully is also crossing a negative boundary by entering the shadows and doing wrong.

In Taylor’s Swift song mean she sings “You have pointed out my flaws”. This is similar to Sally’s experience in the text where she gives up her ambition to become an artist because her art teacher made her to feel that she was inferior and lacked talent. In the book it reads “He held up one of my drawings and pointed out everything wrong with it, there was no perspective he said. At the end of the ten minutes the whole class was laughing and I felt very small”. (Page 97), the difference between the two texts are how they overcome these obstacles. In contrast however Taylor Swift’s song blocks out the opinions of the individual making her feel small. Sally Morgan however takes the judgment of her teacher and lets it get to her. She gives up drawing and burns the remains of anything artistic in her life.
Repetition of the line “Some day I’ll be living in a big ole city” heightens the emotional impact of a piece by emphasizing the longing for liberation. The connotations in the statement highlight wealth and stature which demonstrates the idea of moving on from a difficult situation in life to something bigger, better and more improved.
Furthermore, 1st person is used throughout the poem to enable the reader to form a personal connection with the song and to more clearly understand her side of the story. The first person shows emotive language which invites empathy. This helps the reader to understand the emotions of the singer and the challenges and struggles of trying to persevere through this
Troubling time of coping with the physical and emotional abuse from the “bully”.
The Rhetorical question: “Why you gotta be so mean?” expects no answer highlighting that there is not any reason for anyone to be cruel, malicious or to attack someone. It shows the importance and the effect of the action of being “mean” on the singer and how it has caused her to become miserable.
This text has showed me that overcoming major crossroads in life and standing up for yourself is a positive growing experience which allows an individuals character to strengthen. Similarly, this text made me to understand that if there were no challenges in life there would be no drive to achieve anything and we would build no experience of how to in this case combat bullies and move on. In other words, crossing boundaries drives us to success in life and matters for innovation. Without obstacles achieving your goals would just be simple activities like watching television or exercising. Additionally, in order to persevere through times of trial and challenging obstacles in life having faith and believing you can do it is one of the primary keys in crossing the boundary.

Pfortune35

HSC
Re: How sophisticatedly do you write? Must be in 2013 graduation (year 10 going to 11

not very

hayabusaboston

HSC

In a non-obsequious manner (relative to my english teacher) I do try to vociferate all duly criticisms of theoretical digressions in Shakespeare's work, in a most sincere austerity, to be sure, and I do so as a maintenance of the thematics in his works

OH1995

HSC

In a non-obsequious manner (relative to my english teacher) I do try to vociferate all duly criticisms of theoretical digressions in Shakespeare's work, in a most sincere austerity, to be sure, and I do so as a maintenance of the thematics in his works
I can use a thesaurus too !!! :tennisclap::tennisclap::tennisclap::tennisclap::tennisclap:

HSC

That's glibly writing right there.

HSC

I can use a thesaurus too !!! :tennisclap::tennisclap::tennisclap::tennisclap::tennisclap:
No not really, i do believe she (i think) didn't use a thesaurus because what she wrote there doesn't make any sense. In a sense, it actually exacerbates her writing skills.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC

No not really, i do believe she (i think) didn't use a thesaurus because what she wrote there doesn't make any sense. In a sense, it actually exacerbates her writing skills.
That's glibly writing right there.
I believe HE was being ironic. It was clearly lost on both you guys.

hayabusaboston

HSC

I believe HE was being ironic. It was clearly lost on both you guys.
Quite right you are, Mr Bored_Of_HSC ;)

I chuckled when i read "She" lol.

It does make sense actually. To explain in simpler terms,

"In a manner which is not just to please my teacher, I, with a humourless attitude, seek to voice my disapproval of any misinterpretation and/or changing of meaning in shakespeare's works, which certain people like to do in order to simplify it, because I like to maintain the complexity and original structure of shakespeares works (when reading them)"

I do this because i believe that you need complexity to give greater meaning and appreciation of language, a meaning which pervades so much deeper into ones mind and tells a greater and more enthralling tale.

Simple enough I hope.

Last edited:

hayabusaboston

HSC

Yea my pic is hot eh? hehe

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

First and foremost, in Shakespeare’s play, the setting was in the quaint old city of Verona, a community on the outskirts of Venice, in Italy. In Zeffirelli’s film, the setting is similar, a country city, in Italy, where the main means of transportation is by horseback, the infrastructure is predominantly seen to be a marketplace, where all the discussions and fight-scenes take place, and the weapons are swords, just like they are in the 1595 play. On the other hand, Luhrmann has decided to change the setting and all the various other “old-fashioned” sections of the play. The film is now set in a modern day city, Miami, in Florida, the United States, as well as Mexico City. Instead of marketplaces, horses and swords, there are now skyscrapers, helicopters and guns. Baz Luhrmann has changed some details of the Shakespeare’s play to cater for a contemporary, modern day audience, whilst at the same time, still holding true to the original text.
That's how I wrote in Yr 10. Looking back, it was pretty atrocious.

HSC
N/A

I repeat, some people have a good brain, and can remember good words, without the need for a thesaurus
I didn't say it was necessarily bad, I just thing it's way too over the top. Even if you knew a lot of 'good words', you don't have to chuck *all* of them in.

Maybe it's just me, but when things are too over the top, it loses it's fluidity. Keep things clean, simple and concise imo. Do you think an examiner wants to read 10 lines of garbage which could easily be elaborated in 4 lines? Also, in exams, you don't have time to waffle [unless you have no idea what you're talking about, lol].

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

ZombieApocalypse is correct - you don't need to be over the top with sophisticated vocabulary to do well in the HSC. Being over the top can lead to verbose language. The trick to the HSC, particularly HSC English, where you have 40 mins is to be succinct, but have a sustained in-depth analysis/synthesis.

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC

holy crap taylor swift essay!

hayabusaboston

HSC

I didn't say it was necessarily bad, I just thing it's way too over the top. Even if you knew a lot of 'good words', you don't have to chuck *all* of them in.

Maybe it's just me, but when things are too over the top, it loses it's fluidity. Keep things clean, simple and concise imo. Do you think an examiner wants to read 10 lines of garbage which could easily be elaborated in 4 lines? Also, in exams, you don't have time to waffle [unless you have no idea what you're talking about, lol].
Yea i agree there, my elaborate splurge was just to be ironic heh. Hence a simpler version was put in.

HSC
N/A

Far out. Looking back at my writing in year 10 to how I write now, it's insanely different...

Essay Topic: Romeo and Juliet brought their troubles upon themselves; it wasn't just a case of bad luck.
It is a thought shared by many; the thought that Romeo and Juliet had brought their troubles upon themselves, that these troubles were not the product of mere bad luck. In an attempt to 'defy the stars', 'a pair of star-crossed lovers' (prologue line 6), Romeo and Juliet, defied their family and friends and continued their forbidden love, which subsequently resulted in their unfortunate end.
Some may argue that bad luck may have been a major factor; which would contribute to the catapulting of Romeo and Juliet to their untimely ends, but I believe otherwise. There were too many cases of poor judgement from Romeo and Juliet to be considered “unlucky”. Their lack of judgement and lack of planning resulted in a series of unfortunate events to occur, which in due course, would ultimately seal their fate.
This is me chucking together an essay at 4am in the morning for the belonging assessment I had that morning [so bad, never doing my english stuff last minute again]
The Gran Torino is symbolic of the America that no longer exists; it is a remnant of the utopian America Walt fought the Asians to protect. The articulate preservation of the Gran Torino symbolizes his inability to accept change; also evidently through the disdain he shows his family for their rejection of his old fashioned value.
The Latino, Asian and African-American adolescent gangs veer into the development of the gang mentality in hope of experiencing acceptance, companionship and belonging. This is similar to Feliks Skrzynecki’s association with other polish people, as the culture offers a sense of identity and belonging. Through, “talking, they reminisced…”, which allows them to belong together.
Gang culture substitutes for the sense of identity that the gang members do not experience; due to their lack of belonging with the American culture. This results in ethnic gangs. The promise of friendship, protection, identity and a sense of belonging mask the false sense of belonging among gang members. Through ‘initiation rites’ and ‘peer pressure’, the gang allures Thao, a young man struggling to find a sense of identity and belonging within his family and culture, who reject him for his shy and submissive nature.
english is actually my worst subject, so don't judge me :haha:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)