How strict are your schools on choosing a subject? (1 Viewer)

zephyrus

HSC
The current school I'm going to (but not during year 11-12, since I'm moving elsewhere) are pretty strict. I think it was only the top quarter of the year group in English at the moment are "allowed" to undertake Advanced English. Though it's more of an extremely heavy "recommendation", as opposed to actually blocking someone off from a subject due to their ability, because I'm not even sure if it's legal to do that, haha.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Not very? I remember the subject selection process...haha
English advanced was compulsory and most people did EX1 anyway.

Huge amounts of emphasis placed on any subject that wasn't maths/science though, probably because humanities performs very strongly every year. But nonetheless, not very strict. A common pattern at my school is 3/3/3 other subjects :)

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Not very? I remember the subject selection process...haha
English advanced was compulsory and most people did EX1 anyway.

Huge amounts of emphasis placed on any subject that wasn't maths/science though, probably because humanities performs very strongly every year. But nonetheless, not very strict. A common pattern at my school is 3/3/3 other subjects :)
Around top ~40+ school I assume? I mean, I know some schools are lenient about their classes but not for EVERYONE to do advance English...

DLMisme

HSC
Not very, my school pretty allows you to choose what you want. They offer their opinions and recommendations, but at the end of the day they always leave the final decision up to us.

Verify

HSC
We were free to do whatever we wanted. But our English teachers strongly advised nobody except like one or two people to do EE1 because everybody failed that anyway lol.

HSC
the school i'm moving to requires compulsory ext 1 english TT i don't know how i can cope with that because i HATE english (but i'm doing okay in it right now...)

Verify

HSC
the school i'm moving to requires compulsory ext 1 english TT i don't know how i can cope with that because i HATE english (but i'm doing okay in it right now...)
dw ext eng is quite different from adv eng. I think you'll enjoy it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)