How the hell do you make study notes for english? (1 Viewer)

zocdae

HSC
I've been sat here for the past couple of hours trying to figure this out. For all my other subjects there is a syllabus with content points to expand on and there are your study notes, however, English does not have this.

What kind of stuff do I put in my notes? Should I just be putting whole practice essays on various questions or should I have a cheat sheet with summaries/techniques/themes of the prescribed and related texts or should I be doing something else?

I am extremely lost, any help is greatly appreciated.

fuzionx3

HSC
I don't do study notes for english, maths or maths extension, just practice is that main concept for each of them, practice essays, hand into teach for feedback and rinse and repeat. Same for maths just keep doing questions.

Arceus

HSC
Use the rubric or past hsc questions as a guide to create practice questions and syllabus points.
For example,
Rubric Statement: "The ramifications of particular discoveries may differ for individuals and their worlds"
Then include a response based on your prescribed text; including quotes, techniques, themes...

Ask your teacher, they'd be happy to assist you.

Last edited:

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
here is an example (view, no download), mine from 2014.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByEFYhkkDQBKazktSkh1c1ZEdFk/view?usp=sharing
(excuse the wide margins)

pretty much I just took examples, and expounded on them... this is not only smarter than rote learning essays, but means you pick the relevant examples from each.

with comparative study I paired similar and relevant examples, so that I could make quick comparisons/contrasts in the exam. (the title is misleading - it doesn't contain related texts, the full version does, which you can buy)

Module C was rushed, so its length is shorter.

Last edited:

ALawrence

HSC
read the rubric for 'discovery' and break it down to form your thesis. read the rubric for modules a/b/c. then read the rubric again and adapt this knowledge to make your notes. basically for English, make your notes for the texts you're studying - under themes/characters/whatever and highlight important quotes and their analysis. good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)