How to address professors and tutors (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

zomg, kids nowadays!

jhakka said:
The USYD English department says otherwise (yes, I know this is the UNSW forum).
Addressing Staff

The correct form of address to use in both verbal and written communication with staff is their title and surname, which are available in the 'Staff' listing on the Department's website. Some staff prefer always to be addressed formally and some students may prefer always to address them in this way. This is never incorrect. What is incorrect is to assume that first names are acceptable to all staff. Use of the first name is to be initiated by the staff member and typically occurs in small-group teaching situations with senior level, honours and postgraduate students.
Definitely a good rule.

Generally a conversation will happen like this:

Student: Excuse me, Professor Smith --
Lecturer: Please call me James.
If the lecturer is socially inept (as theoretical academics usually are), you can say 'would you prefer "Professor Smith"?'. That just makes it less awkward. Don't assume that you can use their first name, and don't say 'may I call you "James"', because that just puts them in an awkward situation.

With regards to emails, always use their title and surname. When responding to them, if they used only their first name to sign, use that. Otherwise, continue the full titles and surname.

I find that a lot of lecturers are very old-school, so it's always good to use formal etiquette; use of titles, knocking on doors and waiting before going in, saying 'excuse me', and all of that jazz, unless you know them. That being said, most of them will warm up to you and insist on a first name eventually. :)

Jessica_00

HSC
N/A
I'm accustomed to the Chinese/Japanese bowing. I couldn't help bowings erval times to me professor hahah. Its so weird. He was smiling so polietly and going WTF! in his head.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
Iruka said:
Some of the grumpy old men in the school of maths get a bit shirty about students calling them by their first names, though.
yeh you may be right there. imagine if you referred to hirschhorn as 'oi, mikey!'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)