How to approach a question. (1 Viewer)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Ive done many trial papers and the like. I can wizz through the first 5 questions with relative ease. Its not hard whatsoever.

Naturally Q6 takes a bit longer for me, no problemo either.

Q7, through practising I can usually get up to here with about 50 min-1 hour remaining. I will split the Q7s I have encountered into categories of easy -> hard

Easy: Q7s that are lazy, weak Projectile Motion questions, weak Binomial proofs. Ive had one trial paper dish out loan repayment on me in this question -.-

Medium: Takes more time than other questions, I can get through proofs okay and Ill figure it out soon enough.

Hard: Obscure proofs, its always (always) some obscure Projectile Motion question, either to do with walls, or multiple projections at different times and so on. After this comes either an Induction question or more commonly the Binomial Proof question, that actually is a good question.

I can get through Induction easily most of the time, Binomial Proofs I can handle as well.

However there are times where Im just stuck for a long time on one 'Show That' question.

So my question and the purpose of this whole thread is:

How do you approach Q7 of a Mathematics Extension 1 exam?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
What I do is I answer it in reading time. I imagine what I will need to do.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
So do you spend all 5 minutes on it?
I usually spend about 1 min on Q7 during reading time. So is it worth not reading anything else, and just focusing the whole reading time on trying to mentally solve Q7?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
So do you spend all 5 minutes on it?
I usually spend about 1 min on Q7 during reading time. So is it worth not reading anything else, and just focusing the whole reading time on trying to mentally solve Q7?
Nope, I spend as long as I need to and once I can see what to do, bam work my way down.

deswa1

HSC
If you can do the first five questions with ease, there's no point looking at them in reading time because you'll be able to do them anyway

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Give the questions one of the four labels (and try to avoid 4th one). This will prioritise importance of doing which one's in reading time first. I also recommend you go through the paper sequentially. But this works for me anyway.

awstarr

HSC
Yes I agree with the above. For the questions where you can mentally visualise the solution or method there is no point is spending time thinking about it during precious reading time. What I would suggest is have a quick feel for the paper (difficulty and lengthwise and determine if you need to spend more time on certain questions). Ask yourself "will I finish this paper on time"? I would also recommend having a token system like my brother has suggested.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Heh, thanks for the help guys.
I do try and label questions though, but 5.5 questions will receive the the first option, 1 question will receive the second one, and 0.5 questions will recieve the third one, and that's only if its not a lazy made exam.

Also, next trial paper I do, I will try and devote all reading time to last 2 questions, and Ill see how I go.

But, how can I know where to go, by just looking at what they want me to achieve?

i.e. On the RHS of a Show that question, you see it. How do you usually approach the question?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Heh, thanks for the help guys.
I do try and label questions though, but 5.5 questions will receive the the first option, 1 question will receive the second one, and 0.5 questions will recieve the third one, and that's only if its not a lazy made exam.

Also, next trial paper I do, I will try and devote all reading time to last 2 questions, and Ill see how I go.

But, how can I know where to go, by just looking at what they want me to achieve?

i.e. On the RHS of a Show that question, you see it. How do you usually approach the question?
It's good to experiment with exam technique on a variety of past papers. That's what they are there for! I don't quite understand what you are saying in your last sentence.

HSC
Oftentimes when I get stuck it is because I'm doubting myself. I will see something but write it off - but thought usually leads somewhere.

If in doubt, you must try some way. Even a crap method can prompt you to think of a another good way to tackle the question. This is especially the case with Q7 - (and 4u, sorry Sy haha - you should have done 4u!!)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Oftentimes when I get stuck it is because I'm doubting myself. I will see something but write it off - but thought usually leads somewhere.

If in doubt, you must try some way. Even a crap method can prompt you to think of a another good way to tackle the question. This is especially the case with Q7 - (and 4u, sorry Sy haha - you should have done 4u!!)
I am accelerating 3u at the moment, I will hope to do 4u next year hehe. Thats a journey and a pain for another day.

HSC
Oh...wow...Sy123 you have a long and prosperous road ahead. Don't worry - you will strike those 100s

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)