How to calculate your ATAR from trial/past paper marks (1 Viewer)

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
that’s the plan! :)

the trial marks aren’t meant to be an accurate prediction (low key just click bait lol) but it’s more of a prediction of where you’re at at that point like what you’d get if your trials was your hsc if that makes sense
Yea ofc, ppl tend to over rely on atar calcs which is a big thing and should be prefaced that it should be a tool to form a vague/general idea on where's somegoing towards and DEPENDING on that how they should continue their efforts or get back in shape and go further.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
that’s the plan! :)

the trial marks aren’t meant to be an accurate prediction (low key just click bait lol) but it’s more of a prediction of where you’re at at that point like what you’d get if your trials was your hsc if that makes sense
All the best if you're going to use TS, if you ever need to rant about the countless bugs you'll get, I'll be here to empathise

carrotsss

HSC
Yea ofc, ppl tend to over rely on atar calcs which is a big thing and should be prefaced that it should be a tool to form a vague/general idea on where's somegoing towards and DEPENDING on that how they should continue their efforts or get back in shape and go further.
Yeah I 100% agree (hence the like 20 disclaimers explaining all of the flaws) but after seeing countless people put their raw marks into normal ATAR calculators and then get super disheartened, imo if people are going to use ATAR calculators either way they might as well use one that is accurate for the purpose they’re using it for

carrotsss

HSC
All the best if you're going to use TS, if you ever need to rant about the countless bugs you'll get, I'll be here to empathise
I’m so scared for web developing lol, pretty much all of my experience is in python which seems way easier

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
I’m so scared for web developing lol, pretty much all of my experience is in python which seems way easier
Skip JS, TS is much better for a practical project, just as painful but feels more convenient..? I heard Reacts rlly good tho but never touched it

carrotsss

HSC
Skip JS, TS is much better for a practical project, just as painful but feels more convenient..? I heard Reacts rlly good tho but never touched it
I haven’t looked into it too much but React seems like my best bet since it has such universal support and it’s so popular so it’ll be a nice skill to have down the road

I think some people don’t like react or prefer something else nowadays though? I have no clue it’s all too confusing

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
I haven’t looked into it too much but React seems like my best bet since it has such universal support and it’s so popular so it’ll be a nice skill to have down the road

I think some people don’t like react or prefer something else nowadays though? I have no clue it’s all too confusing
Im saying TS because it felt most easy to pick up from C. I would say before trying react that you get the fundamentals of JS/TS so that you're more suited. I mean either way IMO you learn way more coding projects in languages than studying/watching vids. Trial-error/pain >>>>>>>> studying but ofc study before trial error so u dont just get crashed, just enough such that u can be able to debug and understand code.

Codings a great skill to pick up before going into uni, and given you are comfortable with the struggle you should be motivated to continue onwards. Saying this from someone who wasn't a big coder before uni but yh. Pythons a great base for JS, you should be fine with the transition.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
@dav53521 might be able to give you better advice on this since id assume hes more orientated/geared towards CS and more engaged with it for a longer time.

carrotsss

HSC
Im saying TS because it felt most easy to pick up from C. I would say before trying react that you get the fundamentals of JS/TS so that you're more suited. I mean either way IMO you learn way more coding projects in languages than studying/watching vids. Trial-error/pain >>>>>>>> studying but ofc study before trial error so u dont just get crashed, just enough such that u can be able to debug and understand code.

Codings a great skill to pick up before going into uni, and given you are comfortable with the struggle you should be motivated to continue onwards. Saying this from someone who wasn't a big coder before uni but yh. Pythons a great base for JS, you should be fine with the transition.
Yeah that makes sense, honestly I’m almost certain I’ll struggle at first and get stuck in bugging hell no matter what but it’s a nice relatively simple project to get decent skills up in js, and I feel like that struggle to get something to work for hours is sorta something I enjoy anyway. I’m v excited for coding in uni though I feel like it’ll be so much fun

dav53521

HSC
I've personally never liked front end and never been a big fan of Python as I fell in love with programming through C# but I feel that TS/JS from python is not that big of a jump while JS (not too sure about TS) can be very strange at times I feel that if you put in the time you could definitely do it. Like even python to C or C++ is possible, will take a long time and will be very difficult but is possible.

I feel that if you know a lot of the basic concepts it is very possible to switch languages for example at UTS we learn Python and Java along side each other and in concepts they were very similar although they did have some deviations it was definitely possible and the similarities was very apparent as a lot of programming can carry over.

Also there are an abundant amount of resources online, like I personally look up things all the time, and I would say that's fine as long as you're thinking about it and using the internet to help you with things that you don't know. The worst thing to do is only know how to follow tutorials as that's how you end up in tutorial hell but using it to help you with something you don't know is ok.

One other thing I would say is that you're initial code is probably gonna be horrendous when you look back upon it but that shows your learning and growing so it's ok. For example major project was absolutely horrible like I knew nothing about OOP so I made some really poor design choices but it's all part of learning.

Plus you can implement a MVC pattern which will allow you to use something like Python for the backend and then use HTML/CSS and JS for the front end.

Last edited:

carrotsss

HSC
I've personally never liked front end and never been a big fan of Python as I fell in love with programming through C# but I feel that TS/JS from python is not that big of a jump while JS (not too sure about TS) can be very strange at times I feel that if you put in the time you could definitely do it. Like even python to C or C++ is possible, will take a long time and will be very difficult is possible.

I feel that if you know a lot of the basic concepts it is very possible to switch languages for example at UTS we learn Python and Java along side each other and in concepts they were very similar although they did have some deviations it was definitely possible and the similarities was very apparent as a lot of programming can carry over.

Also there are an abundant amount of resources online, like I personally look up things all the time, and I would say that's fine as long as you're thinking about it and using the internet to help you with things that you don't know. The worst thing to do is only know how to follow tutorials as that's how you end up in tutorial hell but using it to help you with something you don't know is ok.

One other thing I would say is that you're initial code is probably gonna be horrendous when you look back upon it but that shows your learning and growing so it's ok. For example major project was absolutely horrible like I knew nothing about OOP so I made some really poor design choices but it's all part of learning.

Plus you can implement a MVC pattern which will allow you to use something like Python for the backend and then use HTML/CSS and JS for the front end.
Thank you! :)

I’m glad I’ll have plenty of the time after the HSC to sorta fully pick it up and work things out without a ton of pressure. Definitely still going to be completely garbage code on my first try but it’s all about what I learn from it I suppose

dav53521

HSC
Yeah that makes sense, honestly I’m almost certain I’ll struggle at first and get stuck in bugging hell no matter what but it’s a nice relatively simple project to get decent skills up in js, and I feel like that struggle to get something to work for hours is sorta something I enjoy anyway
Yeah programming is a lot of debugging and problem solving and sometimes it can feel like you're smashing your head against a brick wall but that's part of the fun (sometimes).

With stuff like breakpoints, watch and the ability to step through code debugging can be somewhat simple so I would definently recommend learning proper debugging.

Also another thing I would recommend is using tests, as firstly they're used in industry and secondly they can be used to easily see if you're code is working correctly and also reduces a lot of mindless manual testing which is very nice, there's probably more benefits but I can't think of them rn.

carrotsss

HSC
Yeah programming is a lot of debugging and problem solving and sometimes it can feel like you're smashing your head against a brick wall but that's part of the fun (sometimes).

With stuff like breakpoints, watch and the ability to step through code debugging can be somewhat simple so I would definently recommend learning proper debugging.

Also another thing I would recommend is using tests, as firstly they're used in industry and secondly they can be used to easily see if you're code is working correctly and also reduces a lot of mindless manual testing which is very nice there's probably more benefits but I can't think of them rn.
Sorry for being very uninformed but wdym by tests? Like just testing everything as I go along?

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Sorry for being very uninformed but wdym by tests? Like just testing everything as I go along?
Oh boy... this is the annoying part

You'll make autotests for your implementation of functions/code which ensures your program is outputting the correct stuff

This'll take a time to get used to, very different to just simply chuckin in python and seeing what happens.

dav53521

HSC
That's fine I never knew about it before going into industry, when I say testing I mean unit tests (probably should've said that before my bad) but they're basically code that you run to test a function or some aspect of your code to check if it's working correctly. For example lets say I have a method that I expected to return double the number I inputted, I could write a unit test that calls the method with a set of pre-made test data and then check if the number returned is correct, if it is then the test will pass otherwise it'll fail and I know that the method is not working correctly.

The example I have given is very simple and test cases can get a lot more complex but they are quite useful and it's good to know how to write them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_testing This can probably give you a better idea but I would recommend researching them as they are very useful and can help prevent problems later down the line and as I mentioned before if you want to get into software dev/eng you will likely be required to write tests so it's good to get a head start.

carrotsss

HSC
Oh boy... this is the annoying part

You'll make autotests for your implementation of functions/code which ensures your program is outputting the correct stuff

This'll take a time to get used to, very different to just simply chuckin in python and seeing what happens.
That makes sense, I guess it’ll have to be something I sorta pick up as I go along. Definitely not used to that with python though I usually just set it to print whenever something isn’t right or whenever something passes to make debugging easier but not much further than that

dav53521

HSC
That makes sense, I guess it’ll have to be something I sorta pick up as I go along. Definitely not used to that with python though I usually just set it to print whenever something isn’t right or whenever something passes to make debugging easier but not much further than that
I would recommend definitely trying to implement them but getting use to them is quite difficult in the beginning and can feel like a chore at times and unit tests can become very complex with stuff such as mocking, testing database related methods/code and some other stuff but using them can save time and headaches down the road.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)